The David Beckham Thread

Jockstar

I never used to be a fan. But i guess he deserves his own thread!

February 13, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

CARSON, Calif. -- David Beckham is coming back to the Los Angeles Galaxy.

The English midfielder will return to the MLS team next month as scheduled after his two-month loan agreement with AC Milan ends despite his wish to stay in Italy.

Tim Leiweke, president of Galaxy parent AEG, said Friday the Italian club didn't make a second offer to the Galaxy to keep Beckham so the team will adhere to MLS commissioner Don Garber's Friday deadline to resolve the situation.

The Galaxy had earlier rejected Milan's only offer.

"We didn't receive an offer today," Leiweke told The Associated Press by phone from Colorado. "We will abide by the commissioner's wishes, so we are clear at this point that we don't want to have any further conversations."

Leiweke said he had discussions with Milan officials earlier in the week, but heard nothing from them Friday.

"They clearly were looking at this as a football decision and we were looking at it as a football and business decision," he said.

"I'm not sure they ever quite understood the magnitude of the losses the Galaxy and the league would have had to bear this season. They were very respectful discussions. We're fine. There's no issues here."

Leiweke said he had not spoken directly to Beckham, but that he informed the player's representatives the loan would not be made permanent. Beckham's five-year Galaxy contract is owned by MLS, and he is due in the team's training camp on March 9.

"I know David is emotionally invested, but I don't think Milan really was that interested in spending the money we would have had to receive to compensate us for our losses," Leiweke said.

"We need David to honor the contract and come home and let's stop the distraction."

Leiweke said Beckham will likely be disappointed by the outcome, but added that "David is a professional. He will get his arms around this and he will come back here."

Beckham had said he wanted to stay with Milan in a bid to play one more World Cup with England in South Africa next year.

"He can probably still accomplish that as well by being here in 2009," Galaxy coach Bruce Arena said Friday before the resolution was announced.

"We look forward to having him back with the club," Arena said in a statement issued Friday night.

Leiweke confirmed that Beckham has a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave at the end of this year.

"Clearly the risk is we may lose him at the end of the year," Leiweke said. "Our hope is the team surprises him and we're a lot better than last year."

Beckham arrived injured amid much hoopla in July 2007, but he had no goals and two assists as the Galaxy finished with a 9-14-7 record that was third-worst in the league. Last season, Beckham had five goals and 10 assists, but the Galaxy's 8-13-9 record tied for the worst in MLS.

Beckham was injured last season, when he left the Galaxy at various times for appearances with England's national team.

Garber said this week he wanted Beckham's future resolved by Friday or he would not approve any transfer between the two teams.

"The negotiations are over and we move on," Leiweke said. "We look forward to seeing David back in camp. We need to have a good season and we need to live up to a higher expectation."

Leiweke said the Galaxy's sponsors and season ticket holders were clamoring for a conclusion to the saga.

"We heard loud and clear this week from our contractual partners that they wanted an end to this," he said. "We need to pay a little bit of attention to the league and Galaxy now."

The Galaxy opens the MLS season at home March 22 against D.C. United.

I'd be willing to wager a shiny gold coin that he'll end up a AC Milan, though im not too sure Milan need another 34 year old on their books, it has to be more to do with marketing.

His i will play for England when i'm injured attitude under Svens regime shows how much he is interested in the greater good of the team, he deserves to get his ass bitten for being a money grabbing fool and selling his soul.

Edited by sanmiguel

BECKS IN LIMBO

Milan remain hopeful of agreeing to deal for Beckham

Reuters

February 14, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

AC Milan still hope to sign David Beckham from Los Angeles Galaxy permanently and view the deadline imposed for a deal by Major League Soccer as a "tactic", chief executive Adriano Galliani said on Saturday.

The England midfielder, on loan to Milan until March 9, has said he wants to stay at the Serie A club but the Friday deadline passed without agreement. Galaxy said they now expect him to return next month.

"In the meantime Beckham is here at Milan, we'll see what happens in a month or so," Galliani told Sky television. "It's a tactic," he added when asked about the deadline.

Italian media speculated that a deal could still be reached by the parties irrespective of the arbitrary deadline set down by MLS during the week.

Beckham is set to play in his first derby against Serie A leaders Inter Milan at the San Siro on Sunday and coach Carlo Ancelotti hopes it will not be his last.

"I cannot know if it will be Beckham's last derby," Ancelotti told a news conference on Saturday. "My hope is that he can play lots more with the same shirt. At the moment he's an indispensable player for Milan."

Beckham's spokesman said the player and his advisors will consider their position after the Inter game.

"David is focused on the Milan derby this Sunday. We will be addressing this early next week," Simon Oliveira told Reuters.

Beckham has the option of buying out his contract and has a clause which means he can leave Galaxy for nothing in October.

Couple of things about Beckham, firstly if he goes back to the States he can forget about SA 2010, that's for sure..

& secondly, if he goes back to the States Capello won't pick him so he won't surpass Bobby Moore's Caps Record which is a good thing & he'll be stuck on his 108...

Couple of things about Beckham, firstly if he goes back to the States he can forget about SA 2010, that's for sure..

& secondly, if he goes back to the States Capello won't pick him so he won't surpass Bobby Moore's Caps Record which is a good thing & he'll be stuck on his 108...

Great Article from BBC by the way on the Milans new Love affair of Beckham how he is slowly winning over the Nay Sayers in Milan BBC link

Anyway who still thinks the guy is not a good footballer is watching the wrong sport! I must admit I have only become to appreciate his real quality over the past 3-4 years, maybe it was the ex Man U thing that made me not like him.

I have watched all of Milans games on TV this year and I was hoping he would show his form that he showed at the end of his career at Real Madrid... he had a massive part to play after being snubbed and left on the bench to rot and came back to basically win Madrid the Title. He potential can help Milan back in the challenge for the League, ok if not a bit to late now but you can see the reaction from the players around him on the pitch they look rejuvenated. Especially Pato up front he is having a field day picking up second balls from Beckham passes and midfield now have someone who can actually cover! I actually started to see Seedorf getting back.

Its so rare to see a player of his style in the modern game, which is now dominated with pace and strength in many leagues. Normally RM or Wingers have to have lots of pace and expected to get behind defenses. Then you rarely see players in this role (not all) cover back as they should.

From watching Beckham I notice he doesn't even need to beat the full back, his ability to bang the ball in at real pace with bend from deep is just a dream for stirkers to run on to. And a night mare for goalies who seem not to know if to come out for the cross or stay putt. He switches play to the opposite flank with ease and looks as comfortable in the center of midfield as he does on the right. His ability to read the game and tactical awareness to cover back at any sense of danger is very impressive and every game you can see his fitness levels improve. And lets not forget as soon as free kick around the box he will the target and test the keeper.

To be fair I have noticed that Milan play at a very controlled and slow pace which really suits Beckham's play giving him time on the ball. Italians fans love players with good control and don't give possession away, you should hear the moans when ever a player gives the ball away in Serie A not like the EPL.

Good luck to him anyway, I hope he makes the England Squad for SA we will need someone with that level of experience around the players and he can come on for options and always a threat at Set pieces but hope a younger player is not sacrificed or given a proper chance ahead.

Anyway who still thinks the guy is not a good footballer is watching the wrong sport!

Totally agree Devil :D

Wow, take a photo, us three agree..................!!!!! :o

Anyone know how much Galaxy pay Becks, per week..............? £500.000....................! Half a million PER WEEK....!

redrus

Anyway who still thinks the guy is not a good footballer is watching the wrong sport!

Totally agree Devil :D

Wow, take a photo, us three agree..................!!!!! :o

Anyone know how much Galaxy pay Becks, per week..............? £500.000....................! Half a million PER WEEK....!

redrus

I didn't think it was that much Red, the Galaxy certainly don't pay him that Mate, maybe if you combines Adidas & various other promo/advertising stuff he might get that but not just frfom the Galaxy i wouldn't have thouhgt..

From watching Beckham I notice he doesn't even need to beat the full back

He has no pace to or the ability to beat a player, whereas his replacement in the England team Theo Walcott has, i always think its better to run to the byline and cut it back..... defenders and keepers hate players who run at them more then someone who can cross a ball. When he first came on the scene he could beat a man but within a couple of years he was just crossing it in as opposed to beating the man, he had that ability coached out of him.

Good luck to him anyway, I hope he makes the England Squad for SA we will need someone with that level of experience around the players and he can come on for options and always a threat at Set pieces but hope a younger player is not sacrificed or given a proper chance ahead.

He's fcuked up someone elses chances at 2 tournaments where he was injured but still played, hence affecting the teams performance for his personal glory.

Edited by sanmiguel

Beckham made a big mistake going to America.He just went for easy money and its backfired on him now that England are likely to be competing in the World Cup in South Africa next year.

If he goes back to the States then Capello is not going to pick him.Beckham realises this,hence him wanting to extend his career in Serie A.He aims for South Africa being his final hurrah.

As for England I dont think he's worth his place in the starting XI but he's worth considering as a squad player if only for his ability with dead ball situations and crosses.Worth bringing on for the last 20-30 minutes or so.

unfortunately i think beckham embodies everything that is bad about football now. money over achievement, hype over substance, brand exposure over everything else. he used to be a decent footballer, was never world class, but was really good for united. but then once lady macbeth got hold of him properly he ceased to be a footballer. george best probably got him about right when he said 'can't kick with his left foot, can't head a ball, can't tackle and doesn't score many goals. apart from that he's all right.'

He's been playing well for Milan, in my opinion. I saw his goals and they were outstanding. I don't think he deserves all the hoopla and would not be close to the best player for them, but yeah, he's fit in with the team well. The Galaxy thing has failed so far as they were one of the worst teams last year, if not the worst. Even though MLS said the deal is off as they didn't meet the deadline there is now a Milan rep coming to the U.S. to try and work it out perhaps one last time. It may very well go through.

BECKHAM SAGA

Beckham's future to be resolved on Friday?

By Soccernet staff

February 17, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

AC Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani has said that he expects David Beckham's future to be decided on Friday.

GettyImages

Beckham limped out of the Milan derby.

Beckham is less than halfway through a five-year contract with Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy franchise, but is currently on loan to the Serie A giants and has said he wants to remain in Italy permanently.

The MLS set a deadline of last Friday for an agreement to be reached for the 33-year-old to complete a full transfer, but with no deal done, the Galaxy have insisted that Beckham should return to L.A. for pre-season training on March 9 as per the terms of his two-month loan deal.

However, Milan are still confident of reaching a deal and talks are expected to resume later this week.

"There is still a bit of distance but Friday could be the decisive day for Beckham," Galliani told reporters as Milan flew out for Wednesday's UEFA Cup clash at Werder Bremen. Beckham, who has recovered from a minor hamstring injury, travelled with the Milan squad.

Galliani added: ''We are negotiating and trying to resolve the problem. Between our offer and their (the Galaxy's) request there is still a margin but the will of the player is to remain. We will have to wait and see how this situation develops - there is still time.''

Various figures have been bandied about in the media after Milan's opening offer of €5m ($6.3m) was turned down. Milan-based sports paper Gazzetta dello Sport report that the Galaxy want €10m - double what the Serie A club has offered to date.

Beckham, who has impressed during his performances in Serie A - scoring twice and setting up two goals - does not believe Sunday's 2-1 defeat in the Milan derby will hurt his chances of a permanent transfer despite the loss leaving the Rossoneri 11 points behind Inter Milan in third place in the standings.

''I am disappointed because our hopes of winning the Scudetto are truly minimal,'' said Beckham. ''But this doesn't alter our plans. I know that Milan want me until the end of the season.''

BECKHAM SAGA

Beckham's future to be resolved on Friday?

By Soccernet staff

February 17, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

AC Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani has said that he expects David Beckham's future to be decided on Friday.

GettyImages

Beckham limped out of the Milan derby.

Beckham is less than halfway through a five-year contract with Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy franchise, but is currently on loan to the Serie A giants and has said he wants to remain in Italy permanently.

The MLS set a deadline of last Friday for an agreement to be reached for the 33-year-old to complete a full transfer, but with no deal done, the Galaxy have insisted that Beckham should return to L.A. for pre-season training on March 9 as per the terms of his two-month loan deal.

However, Milan are still confident of reaching a deal and talks are expected to resume later this week.

"There is still a bit of distance but Friday could be the decisive day for Beckham," Galliani told reporters as Milan flew out for Wednesday's UEFA Cup clash at Werder Bremen. Beckham, who has recovered from a minor hamstring injury, travelled with the Milan squad.

Galliani added: ''We are negotiating and trying to resolve the problem. Between our offer and their (the Galaxy's) request there is still a margin but the will of the player is to remain. We will have to wait and see how this situation develops - there is still time.''

Various figures have been bandied about in the media after Milan's opening offer of €5m ($6.3m) was turned down. Milan-based sports paper Gazzetta dello Sport report that the Galaxy want €10m - double what the Serie A club has offered to date.

Beckham, who has impressed during his performances in Serie A - scoring twice and setting up two goals - does not believe Sunday's 2-1 defeat in the Milan derby will hurt his chances of a permanent transfer despite the loss leaving the Rossoneri 11 points behind Inter Milan in third place in the standings.

''I am disappointed because our hopes of winning the Scudetto are truly minimal,'' said Beckham. ''But this doesn't alter our plans. I know that Milan want me until the end of the season.''

One thing that mystifies me about in these "will he or wont he ? "transfer sagas.

In Beckhams case ,he now realises he made a big mistake in going to Galaxy. I dont think he did it for money incidentally. I think he saw himself as some sort of knght on a charger helping "soccer's "profile in the US. What he earns comes from many sources not just from the coffers of the club he happens to be with.However if he is so keen to move why is he not called upon to make up the shortfall in the money being asked. Whether it be 5 million or 10 million quid that would be small change in the overall Beckham bank vault.

This rule should apply to any player wishing to "jump ship" for no valid reason other than a change of heart.

However if he is so keen to move why is he not called upon to make up the shortfall in the money being asked. Whether it be 5 million or 10 million quid that would be small change in the overall Beckham bank vault.

This rule should apply to any player wishing to "jump ship" for no valid reason other than a change of heart.

I think youd almost see an end to transfers if this were to happen, great idea though.

Id love to know what really goes on in these big transfers.

However if he is so keen to move why is he not called upon to make up the shortfall in the money being asked. Whether it be 5 million or 10 million quid that would be small change in the overall Beckham bank vault.

I think youd almost see an end to transfers if this were to happen, great idea though.

Id love to know what really goes on in these big transfers.

Lots & lots & lots & lots & lots that we don't know & would be absolutely amazed at, that's for sure... :o

• 2 weeks later...

Arena expects Beckham to return to Galaxy

By Soccernet Staff

March 4, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

The David Beckham saga took another twist tonight when Los Angeles Galaxy coach Bruce Arena insists the England midfielder is expected back in the United States next week.

ChristofKoepsel/GettyImages

David Beckham: Loan is up on March 9

But Beckham's team mates don't seem to share their coach's certainty that he'll return to LA when his AC Milan loan spell expires.

Despite speculation that an agreement was close between the Galaxy and AC Milan to allow Beckham to stay on loan with the Italian club until mid-July, the former Manchester United player was named in the Major League Soccer club's 24-man roster for the forthcoming season, which starts later this month.

Beckham, who wants to stay in Italy's Serie A, is due back in LA when his two-month loan agreement with Milan expires and Arena told the Los Angeles Times today that nothing had altered as far as he was concerned.

"There's nothing that's been stated publicly that he's leaving,'' Arena said. "No-one has said he's leaving. We've been consistent from the start. We have players out on loan. We expect them to be back on March 9.

"We expect Landon Donovan to be back March 9 (from a loan spell with Bayern Munich). We expect David Beckham to be back. If something changes, we'll react to that the proper way.''

Arena said the wrangling over the services of the 33-year-old player, with Milan failing to meet the Galaxy's valuation of the midfielder, had distracted him rather than his players as they prepared for the new season.

"More to me than the team,'' he said. "They're going on with the business of pre-season, trying to earn positions on the team and getting better. Players on loan have nothing to do with what they're doing. They haven't asked me one question.

"Where did we have Landon Donovan going 60 days ago? We had him gone as well. You simply can't worry about it. It is what it is. If you want to track back the last 60 days in this exercise you could fill a mental hospital.''

Several players told the Galaxy website they were resigned to being without their captain until midway through the season.

"I think the best thing we can do is prepare as we have been,'' said midfielder Chris Klein. "Go with the guys we have right now. That's kind of how we've looked at it the whole pre-season. We'll continue to do that and prepare for the regular season the best we can.''

Midfielder Dema Kovalenko said the Galaxy players understood Beckham's wish to stay in Milan, however bad the effect would be on their own team.

"At the end of the day, the guy has to do what's best for him and what makes sense for him,'' Kovalenko said. "Right now we have to understand that. To be honest, it would be nice to have him here because he's a great player, but all we can do is get ready for the season.''

Beckham to stay at AC Milan

By Soccernet staff

March 6, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

AC Milan have an agreement in place with Los Angeles Galaxy to keep David Beckham on loan at the Italian club until the end of the Serie A season.

ChristofKoepsel/GettyImages

David Beckham: Set to extend loan deal.

The former England captain, who is contracted to LA, was due to return to Major League Soccer on March 9 but the Rossoneri have been so impressed with his contribution they are keen to keep him at the San Siro.

A deal to sign Beckham on a permanent basis fell through last month after the US club demanded a fee of £12m, but Milan have now agreed a contract to extended the original short-term loan deal until the end of May.

After that, the player, who will then be 34, will return to LA and is expected to use his own cash to activate a buy-out clause in his £4.25m-per-year US contract, leaving him free to finish his playing days in Italy.

Although there has been no official confirmation Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani said on Friday that the deal is only a signature away from going public.

"There is a great probability that Beckham will stay at Milan until June," Galliani told Sky Italia. "I am very optimistic, all that is missing is a signature and we need to iron out a couple of things.

"In any case we are almost there. We are on the right track and the signature could arrive in a few hours today or tomorrow (Saturday) at the very latest."

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti was asked by reporters what he thought of the deal as he left the club's Milanello training pitch on Friday and said: "We are happy, very, very happy."

Beckham, who signed a five-year deal with LA in January 2007, moved to Milan in January to stay fit during the MLS off-season and so maintain his bid for a place in Fabio Capello's England squad.

During Milan's midweek trip to Qatar for a money-spinning friendly with Al Sadd, Beckham said: "My experience in Milan has been incredible."

"These have been two and a half months with one of the biggest clubs in the world, some of the best players and one of the best coaches. I have already said I want to stay in Milan."

On the same trip to the Middle East Galliani told Soccernet: "Ideally Beckham won't be going back on Monday [March 9] to Los Angeles."

"The best thing that could possibly happen is that he stays until the 30th of June. We have to understand the importance that LA Galaxy have a contract with David. We have to honour that."

Under the terms of the expected 'timeshare' agreement Beckham will not have the sort of long break most players in Europe enjoy in the summer, instead having several shorter breaks.

He will have some time off before rejoining Galaxy 17 games into the MLS season in July, and then another break before returning to Milan in November.

He will also benefit from the winter break in Serie A and believes that will make him at least as fresh as any Premier League player when the World Cup comes around.

• Meanwhile, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has backed his former player's decision to remain with Milan.

"It is good for him, there is no question about that because it is the right type of football," said Ferguson.

"I spoke to David when he came for dinner with us in Milan. He was hoping it was going to happen and he wanted it to happen. I have no doubt it is the best thing for him."

"Beckham Milan deal still not completed"

Reuters

March 7, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

A deal to extend David Beckham's loan deal at AC Milan from Los Angeles Galaxy until June is still to be finalised, a source close to the negotiations said on Sunday.

"The deal has not been signed yet. Small details are under discussion. People forget about these technical details. I expect a deal to be announced on Monday," the source said.

Media reports said a deal had been done. AC Milan could not be reached for comment and a Beckham spokesman had no comment.

Beckham is a diety to be worshipped in a certain Thai temple. Shame it's not someone with greater skill like Kaka, Ronaldhino or Pele.

Sounds like the Galaxy won't even get him for that long this summer and that will probably be that for him in the U.S. Why does he need to stay in Italy until late July? Seems like he could get to L.A. in June. In other news, Freddie Jungberg will be playing for brand new MLS team the Seattle Sounders.

the beckham circus is nothing but boring these days. average midfielder as global brand complete with vacuous, vain, airhead wife takes up entirely too many column inches.

One good reason why Ferguson moved him on a few seasons ago .He could see the mini circus ,at the time,was going to become a major distraction for the club . I dont believe Beckham is bad lad but maybe the moderators could declare Thai Visa a Beckham free zone. In his defence I think he sees himself as a knight on a white charger thundering to the rescue of "soccer " in the US. He probably never imagined that the standard was so poor and subsequent zero "job" satisfaction . Galaxy supporters ,especially those who have shelled out for season tickets, might have other views though.No doubt that will be expressed on his return.

• 1 month later...

GARBER REVEALS DEAL

MLS claims $10m payout for Beckham loan

By Soccernet staff

April 24, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber has revealed they have been paid the full $10m payout they wanted for the extension of David Beckham's loan to AC Milan.

GettyImages

David Beckham: On loan at AC Milan

There was much haggling over the deal, which was originally due to expire on March 9 before being renegotiated to run until July 1. Milan were reluctant to pay the asking price - which works out at around £7m - and it was thought a compromise had been reached.

But now Garber has insisted they have been paid $10m.

"We asked for $10 million, we got our $10 million," Garber said. "We don't know where it's coming from, either. There's a lot of different ways it could happen.

"He can not get paid from Milan. Milan could pay us. He could pay them. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter."

It is expected part of the fee will be paid by Milan and rest by Beckham, who was desperate to stay in European football to keep alive his hopes of playing at a fourth World Cup finals in South Africa next year.

Though it is thought Beckham will look to return to Milan permanently in January 2010, Garber would not be drawn on that eventuality.

"I don't know, if he's going to leave after this season, whether we would want him back," Garber added.

Meanwhile, Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has said he would be interested in signing Beckham if the England midfielder became available ahead of next year's World Cup.

''I have not thought about David Beckham, but it would be disrespectful of me to say I would not be interested in him, were he to become available,'' Redknapp said in the Evening Standard. ''David Beckham is a fantastic player, but he is also a terrific role model and a terrific professional. If the opportunity was there to sign him, any club would have to think about it.

''He would still be a terrific player. His delivery of the ball remains exceptional, he is a great trainer and he is a local boy from up the road.'' Beckham will want regular football next season right up to the World Cup now he has won his England place back and is firmly in Fabio Capello's plans.

The Spurs boss added: ''I think he will be part of the squad, for sure.'' Redknapp feels Beckham would also help raise standards of any club he goes to.

''Imagine what the young players at the club could get from someone like that,'' Redknapp added. ''When I signed Teddy Sheringham for Portsmouth in 2003, he was worth his weight in gold.

''He was such a great professional that the other players all looked up to him in training. He did everything right, he was superb around the place, and that is what it is about.

''I have met him only once or twice, but he seems a great lad. To have someone like Beckham at your club - if the opportunity came and someone said he was available, any club would have to think about it.''

• 2 months later...

Jealousy?

BECKHAM IS "BAD TEAM-MATE"

Donovan launches book blast at Beckham

ESPNSoccernet.com

July 2, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

David Beckham has come under attack from L.A. Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan just as he prepares to return for action with the MLS team.

GettyImages

Donovan turned down his own chance to stay in Europe

In a new book due out later this month, Donovan claims Beckham has demonstrated little commitment to the Galaxy cause and has been a negative influence on the team since the ousting of former coach Ruud Gullit.

"All that we care about at a minimum is that he committed himself to us," Donovan says in 'The Beckham Experiment', authored by Sports Illustrated writer Grant Wahl.

"As time has gone on, that has not proven to be the case in many ways - on the field, off the field.

"Does the fact that he earns that much more money come into it? Yeah. If someone's paying you more than anybody in the league, more than double anybody in the league, the least we expect is that you show up to every game, whether you are suspended or not. Show up and train hard, show up and play hard."

Donovan, who is the Galaxy's captain in Beckham's absence, also questioned the former England skipper's leadership abilities, claiming he is too often silent in team meetings.

"Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain," he said. "Fair enough. But at a minimum, you should bust your ass every day. That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us."

Beckham's first two seasons in MLS were largely a miserable experience. An unbalanced Galaxy team struggled all year and missed out on the play-offs, with Gullit quitting before the end of the campaign.

Gullit's departure, is the moment Donovan believes the light went out for the club's marquee player.

"When David first came, I believed he was committed to what he was doing," Donovan said. "He cared. He wanted to do well. He wanted the team and the league to do well.

"Somewhere along the way - and in my mind it coincides with Ruud being let go - he just flipped a switch and said, 'Uh-huh, I'm not doing it anymore'."

Donovan even claimed Beckham is a bad team-mate, because of his lack of commitment.

"He's not shown (he's a good team-mate)," he said. "I can't think of another guy where I'd say he wasn't a good team-mate, he didn't give everything through all this, he didn't still care. But with (Beckham), I'd say no, he wasn't committed."

Beckham pushed for a loan move to AC Milan in January, and then extended it to the point that he missed half of the 2009 MLS season. That served as evidence that he does not care for the league, according to Donovan, who gave up his chance to play in Europe early in his career in order to stay at home.

"My sense is that David's clearly frustrated, that he's unhappy and, honestly, that he thinks it's a joke," he said. "I also kind of feel (he has taken the team) for granted. I don't see dedication or commitment to this team, and that's troubling."

Beckham is due to make his return for the Galaxy against the New York Red Bulls on July 16, two days after Wahl's book is due to be published.

He will line up alongside Donovan in that game, but the striker does not want that to be the case for much longer.

"Let's say he does stay here for three more years," Donovan said. "I'm not going to spend the next three years of my life doing it this way. This is f****** miserable. I don't want to have soccer be this way."

That told Beckham!

Who is Landon Dovanon ??

I bet Beckham's in a right fluster now that he's opened his mouth..

Myabe have a pop when you've lifted Premier Leagues, FA Cups, Champions League Trophy's, La Liga Titles & Played for argubly the 3 biggest Clubs in the World etc etc etc, come back & say something then but until then, you crack on with the MLS Landon, there's a good Lad..

That told Beckham!

Who is Landon Dovanon ??

I bet Beckham's in a right fluster now that he's opened his mouth..

Myabe have a pop when you've lifted Premier Leagues, FA Cups, Champions League Trophy's, La Liga Titles & Played for argubly the 3 biggest Clubs in the World etc etc etc, come back & say something then but until then, you crack on with the MLS Landon, there's a good Lad..

Jasons Brother???

I'll give Beckham his due he's always tried his hardest of that there is no doubt, but he has taken the p7ss out of his club with the Milan fiasco ....

Thing i didnt like about Beckham was he played for England in World Cups when he wasnt fit to the detriment of the team, and Sven fancied him and built a team around him letting him run around on the pitch wherever he wanted when he was by far the best player, again to the detriment of the team.

Edited by sanmiguellight