Knives Made In Thailand

ThaisGood

Hello. I've purchased some knives in Thailand, many years ago, and they still are used daily as favorites. I notice the Vietnamese shops here in USA also use the same knives--the kind with the orange handle, Kiwi brand. Is this the main brand of knives Thai people use or is there another brand also? I can usually find good kitchen stuff at Siam Makro when visiting Thailand. What other brands might I look for? And also, assuming a Thai chef has an unlimited budget for knives, do they still use Thai knives or are the really expensive Japanese or German knives preferred. Just wondering. I can't seem to find any reason to use expensive knives for everyday cooking, as long as I have the Thai knives around. Except for one long Wusthof, all I ever use is the Kiwi. And I'd like to expand my collection of Thai knives. Thanks for any advice.

In addition to Kiwi I often see Rhino, Zebra, and Seagull brand knives of approximately the same quality. Perhaps your knives, being made some time ago, are of better quality, but the Thai stuff I've seen for the domestic market is all low quality. The steel used is extremely cheap, OK for cutting fruits but not much else. If you go to any of the higher-end stores in Bangkok, they do not sell Thai cutlery; it's all German or (rarely) Japanese.

On the other hand, I heard there are some factories here making mostly pocket knives for export to the USA. The upper end stuff even employs blades from Seki, Japan, and assembles the knives here. These sell under brand names like CRKT, Remington, and others in the US. I've found some very nice CRKT pocket folders up in Issan selling for 200-300 baht each.

I have been buying Kiwi brand knives at a Thai grocery store (Fort Worth, Texas metroplex) for a while. Have been quite pleased with them. Hold an edge for a good while with a quick touch up with a steel in daily domestic use. I still have a metal handle cleaver that Mom bought in 1964 (and the 4 stitch scar I received in 1966 peeling sugar cane). You were right about the older items being much better made than the current. Mom has been offered well above new market prices for the dialy items she brought back in '67. Some of the younger students refer to them as 'antiques'. She gets a kick out of it.....

On one of my trips to USA I brought back a set of Chicago Cutlery for the wife. They are holding up pretty well, despite the fact that Thais, in general, do not know how to take care of knives...I had to show her how to clean, dry, and put them away after each use...as opposed to just leaving it lay wherever it was used last. And she was absolutely amazed at how quickly I could put an edge back on the knives, using just the steel that came with the set. You can guess at the convesation that ensued when I caught her using the paring knife in place of a screwdriver :o:D

To the original question: Are these knives "better" than what is available domestically? I have not noticed so much difference really...as long as you can easily put an edge back on, most are serviceable.

I don't know what brands or types are available in LOS but here in Sydney, Australia I bought some expensive carving knives to use in the kitchen. Some blades are made in Portugal, others in Brazil. I use a steel to keep them as sharp as possible.

My better half went to the local market in Sydney and paid a pittance for a couple of very cheap looking cleavers that had been imported from China. The cleavers are much sharper than what I can achieve with my expensive blades.

I now use her cleavers. :o

Edited by Mighty Mouse

^ About 8 years I bought a cheap cleaver at China Town in Sydney. The handle soon came apart (but some araldite fixed that) but with an occasional run through the sharpener it remains my favourite knife for all tasks (hacking, mincing, delicate slicing etc.). My other expensive knifes, although high quality, pale in comparison to my cheap Chinese friend.

I don't know what brands or types are available in LOS but here in Sydney, Australia I bought some expensive carving knives to use in the kitchen. Some blades are made in Portugal, others in Brazil. I use a steel to keep them as sharp as possible.

My better half went to the local market in Sydney and paid a pittance for a couple of very cheap looking cleavers that had been imported from China. The cleavers are much sharper than what I can achieve with my expensive blades.

I now use her cleavers. :o

Last year while in Shanghai I purchased a cleaver and I have to say it is holding up extremely well and I will agree that it is sharper and hold that sharpness longer than many other cleavers I have used. I normally just use a steel to sharpen my knives but once in awhile I will take all my knives to a "professional" who has a grinding wheel. I find that it is worth the few bucks to get that "like new" edge back.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this you beaut chopper in ayuttahaya.Its heavy stainless steel and remarkably sharp for the width of the blade.

I got it last year, if memory serves i think it was either 550 or 650 baht, maybe more or less.

The place is great for a look and the community there have been making knives for centuries and apparently provided the weaponry for the warfair with the Burmese.

If you go to the ruins for a look it is well worth it as they have a big market with all sorts of knives and steel stuff that you dont see much of.Swords,machettes cheap and dear..rare stuff..you name it they got it. Of course all hand made so not like fancy brand name stuff but the knives are all different and have different tempers of steel so you choose exactly which you like as far as soft of hard steel depending on the use and your sharpening methods.

Is a good day out anyway

post-66927-1236618754_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...
I bought this you beaut chopper in ayuttahaya.Its heavy stainless steel and remarkably sharp for the width of the blade.

I got it last year, if memory serves i think it was either 550 or 650 baht, maybe more or less.

The place is great for a look and the community there have been making knives for centuries and apparently provided the weaponry for the warfair with the Burmese.

If you go to the ruins for a look it is well worth it as they have a big market with all sorts of knives and steel stuff that you dont see much of.Swords,machettes cheap and dear..rare stuff..you name it they got it. Of course all hand made so not like fancy brand name stuff but the knives are all different and have different tempers of steel so you choose exactly which you like as far as soft of hard steel depending on the use and your sharpening methods.

Is a good day out anyway

I am a professional Chef and I would only ever use High grade knifes. Usually Thai/Cheaper made knives are made with low grade low carbon steel. Also they are unbalanced and and poorly assembled. I have had my current set of knives for over 16 years and I use them for work in Kitchens every day. High carbon steel knives will hold and edge and stay sharp for weeks at at time with heavy use. only needing a touch up over a steel occasionally. But if you only need a knife for cutting some veg for tonight dinner go for cheap. it will sever the purpose.

I now use her cleavers. :)

Last year while in Shanghai I purchased a cleaver and I have to say it is holding up extremely well and I will agree that it is sharper and hold that sharpness longer than many other cleavers I have used. I normally just use a steel to sharpen my knives but once in awhile I will take all my knives to a "professional" who has a grinding wheel. I find that it is worth the few bucks to get that "like new" edge back.

Steels are not used for "Sharpen knives"

Steel should be used to bring the "edge" of an already sharp knife back.

Often, a knife dulls when its edge becomes misshapen. Using a steel can help restore its shape and keep your knife on the cutting edge.

• 7 months later...

I am a knife snob and use expensive German knives. My wife uses Vietnamese cheapos and heck are they sharp!!! The only thing I don't like is that they are very light, I like a hefty knife for chopping and the like.

Knife snob as well but prefer lighter knives, Kikuichi knives are great, expensive but worth every penny!

I bought a little kiwi knife for less than the equiv. of one dollar at a supermarket in Hanoi...it is used exclusively to slice fruit at my desk in the office and still holds an edge after 4 months...

cant complain...

I like to cook and nice expensive knives are to be treasured; a nice carbon steel chopping knife is wonderful...but I got too much other baggage to haul around and just use the local variety...cant be sharpened and are disposable...

• 11 years later...