Moving A Wooden House To A New Location

rogerchiangmai

I am considering moving a house from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen - the house is a sound single storey wooden construction. I believe there are some companies who can handle this type of move and I wonder if anyone knows of anyone or has used someone that they could recommend. I heard somewhere that big companies are best as they know how to handle the paperwork involved and are generally better at dismantling and possibly reassembly.

Advice welcome Roger

No idea about the paperwork or people to do it, but have seen it done once. As I recall the cost was 40,000 Baht to dismantle and move (similar locations that you mention) in pieces on a few flat bed trucks. The sanding and planing noise during reconstruction was amazing - in a bad way. The case I saw caused a number of local disputes due to the noise, workers wanted to complete the rebuild quickly and the locals wanted to sleep at night.

Suggest talking with the local puia-ban to agree working hours and maybe a few cases of beer split amoung those affected by the noise or a party would make the noise less of a long term problem.

HTH.

(I've seen some nice old wooden places in CM on my travels.)

> Prices for old houses seem to vary widely.

The fact that you as a non-Thai will increase the price, if you can remain outside the picture it is wise.

The case I saw was a pure Thai-Thai transaction.

BTW. The age polished wooden floor is brilliant.