Thai Husband And American Wife

Hi all,

I am a Thai man married to an American wife last year. Now, we are planing to go back to the States on August this year. We're concerned about the complexity of a whole Immigrant Visa process. I've been talking to an immigration lawyer and he told us that we can file the pettition at Homeland Security office in BKK. We are not sure about the time frame which can be very long if you're filing in the U.S. The lawyer said if we file it here, we might get the visa done within 5 months.

I used to live and work in the States for almost 9 years. My last H1-B visa was denied because the job description didn't match with their new one. I came back last year and met my wife. We're married, living together, and now she is 5 months pregnant. :o

questions come up:

- Will my denial of H1-B in the past effect their decision?

- Will it be enough time for us to get the visa? (my wife doesn't want to continue working at her present job 'cause we want to go to the States and start our life there.)

Suggestions and comments are more than welcome!

Thank you in advance

Edited by Golf

You don't need a lawyer. If you can fill out forms do it yourself.Call the BCIS in Bangkok and ask them.

The thread on the other board is Here.. There is also a link in the thread to another thread that discusses the whole process.

The time it will take depends on how long you have to wait for interview. The BCIS approval is done in a matter of weeks.

Good Luck.

As thaihome says using someone would seem to be overkill as your English skills are probably better than anyone you could find and all it involves is following instructions and filling out the forms - the fact that you can do here is an added benefit as any mistake can quickly be found and corrected. I would have wife visit the office and talk with them/pick up forms and get the process started. Do not believe your previous visa refusal would have any bearing as you were not in violation of anything - just visa did not fit your conditions at the time and for that reason was refused. I would ask them how to fill out and if you should add explanation page (as believe you are asked about any previous visa refusal).

What may be a concern is your wife as she must meet financial conditions - if she has family that are willing to act as sponsors in case her income is too low that should solve any problem.

Thank you so much, every one! We'll think about it and will decide to go with the pro or do-it-ourself. As for me, I knew that the process can be messed up if you made a wrong step and for that, we will have to start it all over again. Will keep you guys posted when we learn more about it. Also thanks for the link!

Cheer. :o