Favorite Albums

Pablo H

axis bold as love jimi hendrix

troubadour jj cale

solid air john martin

on the beach neil young

this is the sea the waterboys

Good choice Mark!

One of the best concerts I saw was the Waterboys - musthave been 15 years ago! maybe more.

John Martyn too, he was pretty boring, but great music.

The best bands live I saw were:-

1. The Buzzcocks with Joy Division supporting.

2. Ramones

3. The Cramps

4. Clint Eastwood and General Saint.

5. The Stranglers.

6. Misty in Roots.

7. Hawkwind

8. David Bowie(serious moonlight tour)

9. Ian Dury.

10. The Waterboys.

What were the best concerts you saw?

deep purple b,ham town hall 1971

stranglers paradiso amsterdam 1976

rory gallagher hummiingbird b,ham1980

frank zappa b,ham nec 1989

smashing pumpkins b,ham nec 1995

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concerts i've been to

Robert Palmer (twice)

Bruce Springsteen

Genesis (twice)

Phil Collins (twice solo)

Rolling Stones

Adam and the ants :D

Kid Creole and the coconuts :D

Level 42

George Benson

Brand New Heavies

Simply Red

Pink Floyd (original wall concert in 80 or 81 can't remember)

Eric Clapton

Oasis

Prodigy

can't remember who else :o

Concerts i've been to

Concert I slept through: Isle Of Wight 1970. :o

I'm sure I must've heard some of these -

Joni Mitchell, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Doors, Who, Free, Moody Blues, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez, Hawkwind

- because I read that they all played there and most of which are still my favourites, but there was far too much wacky baccy around. Didn't do the memory brain cells any good...

The Hawks have played Pompey Guildhall on several occasions, nice venue. Cant recall seeing them in Southsea but have seen Nik Turners incarnation on the pier there at least once! Called themselves Pinkwind I seem to remember when they shared the place with the Pink Fairies, mad!!!!

I'm surprised to see so many Marvin Gaye fans,what's going on???

He was a big disco-guru wasn't he? Also responsible for that gaye song 'sexy thing'.

1.Talking heads- Little creatures (1st album at age 9 from my aunt)

2.The Pixies- Debaser (lost teenage years)

3.Something for Kate- Beautiful sharks (great Aussie band that most haven't heard of)

appreciation of popular music and the selection of favorites thereof usually occurs when one is an adolescent and associates the music with the heady times that accompany glandular activity and growing up. In 1965 I found myself displaced from surfer So Calif to Bolivia; an impoverished, landlocked country where 70% of the pop. only spoke native languages Quechua and Aymara...I couldn't even speak Spanish at the time. Previous I always liked top 40 rock and roll, Beatles, Stones Beachboys, Everly Bros, Righteous Bros, etc. But this music was unknown to locals in Cochabamba in 1965.

Hence an encounter with regional popular music. The most impressive at the time was 'Misa Criolla', an RC mass liturgy in music written and directed by argentine pianist Ariel Ramirez and performed by the argentine folk group Los Fronterizos and redolent with native andean music. This is now probably only available on website but check it out...if you didn't believe in Jesus before...

About the same time I listened to gaucho balladeer Jorge Cafrune and most anything performed by by native folk musicians. Some french guy named Cavour did some recordings of andean music that is unforgettable.

Upon return to the US in 1967 I became immersed in the popular music of the day...saw Otis Redding in concert at Vanderbilt U in Nashville a day before he was killed. Per the prevailing standard Jimi, Doors, all motown and a host of others come to mind. Also the smaller groups...Steve Miller Band, Ten Years After and Mother Earth with Tracy Nelson. Her album with Mike Bloomfield (principal with Butterfield Blues Band) as guest guitarist is an all time favorite...a white jewboy from the Chicago suburbs holding his own in badass southside Chicago. Once in North Beach in SF without money for the cover (had spent it on bottles of Red Mountain) I stood outside in the rain where I could see and hear him in a small club where he whaled on it.

About this time I guy I knew with eclectic tastes in everything came around with something called 'The Music of Bulgaria' performed mostly acapella by The National Women's Chorus of Bulgaria. Unbelieveable...dissonances blending with the most subtle melodies. I later was not surprised to read that the same music had an influence on many of the major players of the time...Miles Davis comes to mind. Sometime in the 1990s British Airways incorporated the haunting sound in one of their TV adverts. Highly recommendable...

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder...

Love your descriptions on the experience of music. You like the National Women's Chorus of Bulgaria? Let me make a suggestion: try to get your hands on music by Czech muscian Iva Bittova. She is a mad, beautiful, crazy, hypnotic, delirously beautiful and genius vocalist and violin player. There is no one else like her.

55, I love it...tutsi usually demurres when it comes to the mundane but I can't miss an opportunity to 'one up'.

September 1968 and a poorly publisized and sparsely attended concert at the Pasadena Rose Bowl (the venue for New Years Day college football games) with Janis Joplin, Joan Baez, Buffy St Marie, Country Joe and the Fish and Buddy Guy with Jr Wells. Country Joe got the crowd going with Superbird (telling President Johnson 'send you back to Texas to work on your ranch YOU MOTHERFUKCER' and there was a pitch invasion where the stage was located. Hundreds of fans po-going to the beat.

Security got the fans back to their seats but tutsi sneaked around to the performer's tent behind...pretended to move some chairs around so as to appear to be part of the crew. Got righteously loaded and listened to Joanie's set with 'A hard rains a-gonna fall' sung acoustically that brought tears then looked to see that there was some activity back stage. And lo'...it was Janis smiling and holding a rose surrounded by the adoring with autograph materials. tutsi joined the crowd and when confronted by the then Queen of rock and roll realized that I had nothing for her to write upon. She smiled and said 'Well...?'...tutsi spluttered and said 'JJJanis...ppplease sign my jacket' AND SHE TOOK MY ARM IN ONE HAND AND WROTE 'LOVE YA TUTSI FROM JANIS' upon the green nylon fabric.

tutsi's knees were weak but he managed to recover. In my delirium I hardly heard her set. Later I waved my jacket around amongst my then sordid collection of associates and screamed JANIS SIGNED MY JACKET. It was then promptly stolen.

Beat that....

Well done, Tutsi! I can't beat that one! :D

I definitely can't beat meeting Janis. But when I was working my minimum wage job as a teenager on my way out of the Bronx, I sold records for awhile at a record store that no longer exists (called Disco-Mat on W. 57th Street in New York). This guy comes in when business was dead and quietly goes about his business of taking notes on albums that he wanted. He danced quietly around the store and generally entertained himself without bothering me until he was ready to purchase - a perfect customer. I ended up opening every cabinent in the store so he could purchanse about 60-odd albums, but it was no bother because he was really likeable. He told me he was going on a 2-week yaht trip. So, I'm this young girl, ringing up a huge sale and enjoying the company of one of my best and most charming customers ever, and he askes me what new music do I like. So I reach behind the counter to show him the best thing that I had discovered since slice bread, the album "Speaking in Tongues" by this "new" band the Talking Heads. He just sort of smiled this smile, and I kept ringing him up in what had to have been comical teenage naivete.

The sale was so huge, that one of the rock guys from the 2nd floor had to come down and help me package it up. He took the guys credit card and flipped out. It turns out that I had just spent about 2 hours with Chris Frantz, and even unknowingly recommended his own music to him :D Embarrassing, but totally genuine. After that, all the rock boys took over of course and surrounded him. I promptly lost my nerve, and shyly watched from the counter.

My best brush with fame :o

Oh yeah, and one time Henry Rollins helped me make my ex-boyfriend jealous in Tower Records on 4th Street :D

I wanted to add to the list:

Fela (Nigerian Afro pop King) - everything!

Joan Armatrading

Joni Mitchell (flame away, I don't care)

Ricki Lee Jones

The Fugees

Janis

Nirvana

The Jets

Kings of Leon

Johnny Cash

Sixousie and the Banshees

Bjork

PJ Harvey - Dry

Buena Vista Social Club (also met Ibrahim Ferrer and Ruben Gonzalez in the airport on my way back from Havana - the photogrpah I took with them didn't come out :D .

Edited by kat

My easy conversational manner suddenly and inexplicably morphed into this stunned, immovable silence, as I watched all the guys mob him, and as Chris Frantz watched me being stunned. Of course, I thought about the receipt about 2 days later, like every other important moment in my life :D

Oh well. Many true moments only exist in that moment between the people who experienced them, making them that much more memorable, I guess :o

My easy conversational manner suddenly and inexplicably morphed into this stunned, immovable silence, as I watched all the guys mob him, and as Chris Frantz watched me being stunned.  Of course, I thought about the receipt about 2 days later, like every other important moment in my life  :D

Oh well.  Many true moments only exist in that moment between the people who experienced them, making them that much more memorable, I guess  :o

You're right. Probably wouldn't be worth much on eBay...you suppose :D

hi'

two concerts that I'll never forget ...

Mr Miles Davis ...

Fela in paris years ago ... what a music party :D

peace to their soul ...

and 2 life regrets ... was never here when Grateful dead came to Europe :o ...

and never saw Stevie Ray Vaughan on stage :D ...

francois

Edited by francois

4. Led Zeppelin 2

5. Led Zeppelin 3

6. In through the out door.

To be continued....... :o

Chon, 'The Song Remains the Same' movie was on UBC (Series channel I think) a few weeks ago. Think it was about the third time it'd been shown over the years.

Look out for it.

buy a copy...bought a few weeks ago at mbk....superb concert :D

Here’s a few but only one from any one band; of course, the likes of Floyd, Genesis, Queen and others have a multitude of beauties. For me, SYD (no1 on list), outdoes anything that has ever been written – those first few bars of keyboard are exquisite!

Shine on you crazy diamond – Pink Floyd

Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield

Judas Iscariot – Rick Wakeman

I robot – Alan Parsons Project

Stairway to Heaven – Zeppelin

Knockin on heaven’s door – Dylan

Chain/Beautiful child (close 2nd) – Fleetwood Mac

Sweet harmony – Beloved

The ballad of 32 – Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Entangled – Genesis

Windy Town – Chris Rea

Don’t panic - Cold Play

Overture – Chicane

God moving over the face of the waters – Moby

Run baby run – Sheryl Crow

Please forgive me – David Grey

It’s no good – Depeche Mode

Brothers in arms – Dire Straits

Still Dre – Dr Dre

Why go – Faithless

Original – Leftfield

World of water – New Musik

Mercy Street – Peter Gabriel

Who wants to live forever – Queen

Californication – Chilli Peppers

Suicide – Barclay James Harvest

At the end of the day – Mike Rutherford

Hide in your shell – Supertramp

Side – Travis

Eyes without a face – Billy Idol

Nothing else matters – Metallica

Joan of Arc – OMD

You do something to me – Paul Weller

Autumn leaves – Coldcut

Talking with myself – Electribe 101

Hello Earth – Kate Bush

Autobahn – Kraftwerk

Pipes of peace – Paul McCartney

Cry little sister – Gerard McMann

Baggy trousers – Madness

Kyrie – Mr Mister

Rise – PIL

True faith – New Order

Listen – Tears for Fears

Favorites change from time to time...Currently

1. The Band-The Last Waltz-Sound track from the movie of the same name.

2. Black Eyed Peas Greatest Hits-Bootleg off Beach Road, great quality.

3. Robbie Williams Live-'03 tour-Also bootleg off Beach Road also great quality.

Glad to see some real music lovers out there instead of first few pages

where soooooooo  cool to say you like absolute crap.

best 3 albums ever

Bee Gees            -    Still Waters

Savage Garden    -    Savage Garden

Meatloaf              -    Bat Out Of ######

Bet you have a good Barry Manilow collection too! :o

and for favorite performances/concerts must add

John Lee Hooker, Big Joe Williams (he of the 9 string guitar, not the blues lounge singer) Lightnin' Hopkins, Big Mama Thornton and Larry Coryell separately at the Ash Grove folk club on Melrose in LA...tragically torched and burnt to the ground by fascist cuban exiles for displaying progressive attitude and assisted by the LAPD so some say...

John Mayall twice with Mick Taylor on lead...they tore it up...Iron Butterfly opened for them at the Rose Palace in Pasadena (or was it the other way around?)

Stones at the Inglewood forum with Mick...upstaged Keith all over the place...

Ornette Coleman in SF...shadow of his former self...

Miles Davis at Stanford...show was opened by the New Riders of the Purple Sage( I kid yew not)...never saw so many disgruntled negroes 'wha's this shit???'...

Hoyt Axton with the Dillards...ended up back stage and started doodling on Hoyt's guitar and caught the ear of Doug Dillard who nodded appreciatively then said 'hold on...who the fukc are you and what are you doin' here???...'

Bonnie Raitt, Taj Mahal, Willie Dixon and Albert Collins separately...

David Bromberg at the Fox Venice...anybody ever hear or see him? What a character, everything from bluegrass to soul music...

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee at some dive in Berkeley...classic...

"I wanna be sloppy drunk baby than anyway that I know...'. Big points for anyone that can name the singer...