Unreachable Cousin In Phuket

jeebusjones

My cousin arrived in Thailand about a month ago. He's only 23 and it's his first time in Asia. He spent a week with me in the deep south and then headed north to Phuket about two weeks ago. I'm a little concerned because I haven't heard from him in about six days now. He used to call at least once every couple of days and generally checked his email on a daily basis, but I've been unable to connect to his phone since last Thursday and he hasn't answered my email.

For normal people I wouldn't think anything of it, but my cousin can be kind of naive and he's incredibly trusting. Should I be at all concerned that I haven't heard from him?

Missing persons threads are not allowed. Unless you are looking for advice on how to find him, or reassurance that he is safe enough in Phuket then this thread will have to be closed. Otherwise, no personal details allowed.

Missing persons threads are not allowed. Unless you are looking for advice on how to find him, or reassurance that he is safe enough in Phuket then this thread will have to be closed. Otherwise, no personal details allowed.

Sure, advice and reassurance is all I'm looking for. I didn't mean for this to be a "missing persons thread" at all; I'm just wondering if my concern is warranted. I know very little about Phuket.

If you become seriously concerned, contact the embassy for your cousin's home country and take it from there. However, given what you have already said, it may only be that your cousin has lost track of time (easily done). As I said before, I think you need to discuss it with his parents.

My 21 year old niece came here last year and stayed 2 months. Every week or so, i'd ask if she called or emailed her Mom which she had not.

I would ask her to and sometimes she would and sometimes not. So, i would.

Then she lost her phone. Then she lost her ATM card but didn't seem too concerned. She booked some flights with her credit card and eventually headed back home. I still hear from her every few months via facebook but she's not reliable at all.

I wonder if your cousin is similar? folks that age might not be too concerned about checking in and not really know how much it can hurt.

I'm certainly not looking forward to the time when my kid is like that.

Good luck.

Actually, Facebook is a good idea. You'd be amazed at how often these kids update their facebook pages but don't contact their families. Check his facebook page, you'll probably get a better idea of whats going on in his life then you would if you actually talked to him.

I wonder if your cousin is similar? folks that age might not be too concerned about checking in and not really know how much it can hurt.

Yeah, he can be like that, so hopefully that's all it is.

Let us know how you go...

Will do. Thanks again for the help.

Actually, Facebook is a good idea. You'd be amazed at how often these kids update their facebook pages but don't contact their families. Check his facebook page, you'll probably get a better idea of whats going on in his life then you would if you actually talked to him.

I would, but I don't think he uses facebook. Anyway, it's not like I'm his old cousin who he can't relate to; I'm 25 and we've been friends our whole lives.

I'm afraid I won't have internet access again till tomorrow, but I'll post an update then if I've heard anything. Thanks again for all the tips.

Well I guess I jumped the gun a bit. I got a brief email from him this morning. No mention of the girl with the bike but apparently he's been having some problems with his phone.

Thanks again for all the replies. I would like to know though, is there a seedy side to Phuket that might be potentially dangerous for rowdy, reckless, drunken people?

All's well that ends well, then.

It's a big, bad world out there, but despite that fact, most of us manage to struggle through to our dotage. Give him some free rein and try not to ponder too much about what he is up to - it's pointless and will only cause you needless concern. if you find yourself starting to think and worry about him, make a conscious decision to change your train of thought - go for a walk, read a book, etc. You'll be far better off for it...

Good luck.

Well I guess I jumped the gun a bit. I got a brief email from him this morning. No mention of the girl with the bike but apparently he's been having some problems with his phone.

Thanks again for all the replies. I would like to know though, is there a seedy side to Phuket that might be potentially dangerous for rowdy, reckless, drunken people?

Yes. It's called Patong. :o