Recharge Able Batteries

robblok

Hi i bought 4 Sanyo Ni-MH2700 batteries for my camera, but after only a short time using them they are empty. I have charged them for 16 hours as was written in the manual that came with the charger. I have had recharge able batteries before and they always seem to give up quite fast no matter what i do with them. Could it be that the power in my home isn't good or that i just bought a bad brand ? Before i had an other brand orange and green (cant remember the name) and they had the same problem (not in this camera but in an other one).

Even the normal batteries bought at a store last 3 to 4 times longer and they are the standard type not special ones with a high Ni-MH value.

Does anyone have the same problem or advice ?

I think you need to check the requirement of your camera! Many low cost Cameras are NOT build for to use rechargeable batteries!

Cheers.

I think you need to check the requirement of your camera! Many low cost Cameras are NOT build for to use rechargeable batteries!

Cheers.

Im not sure my camera is low cost

canon powershot SX10IS

The lady at the shop recommended me to use rechargeable batteries because they would last longer as the standard ones. Ok she likes to sell so it might be a lie but even so its not a low cost camera.

Cheers.

Im not sure my camera is low cost

canon powershot SX10IS

The lady at the shop recommended me to use rechargeable batteries because they would last longer as the standard ones. Ok she likes to sell so it might be a lie but even so its not a low cost camera.

Check with Canon website or an real Canon Camera dealer what kind of batteries are usefull for your camera!

Normal Batteries containing 1.5 volts while rechargeable containing 1.2 volts! So normal batteries could be used much longer that rechargeable.

Cheers.

I have a Canon S5 IS and use the same batteries (Sanyo 2700mAh) and haven't found them to be a problem. Also, need to be aware that NiMH batteries have a self-discharge rate of 1-3% per day. That is, if you don't even use the camera, you could lose up to 30% of the capacity in one month. Canon also supports the NiMH batteries - they sell them and charger specifically for their cameras as an option.

From Steves Digicams site

"Powering the SX10 IS are four standard AA type batteries. While Canon supplies alkaline type cells, we recommend high-capacity NiMH rechargeable AA batteries. Rechargeable batteries save you money and can be reused hundreds of times. Using CIPA testing standards, Canon estimates that the approx. battery life with alkalines is 340/350 shots (LCD/EVF) and a total of 12 hours of playback time. Using NiMH batteries you can expect approx. 600/620 shots (LCD/EVF) or 14 hours of playback time. "

I have an inexpensive Sony DSC S40. It takes two AA batteries. I was using Panasonic NiMH batteries and can say that they did last longer per charge than alkaline batteries. I seldom use the camera so the alkaline batteries are handier. The battery charger finally died and the NiMH were getting old so when I use the camera it is with standard alkaline batteries.

Thanks, i did not know about the discharge rate. It might not be the problem it is as if all rechargable batteries that i charge here last short. But we will see just charged them again and am going to take some pics while fishing tomorrow.

Hi :o

My guess it's a dodgy charger which sin't suitable for NiMH cells. I have had that exact same problem with NiMH size AA batteries for a remote controlled car. Fully charged they would power it for less than 10 minutes while Alkalines would last a good 20 minutes (yes it's a souped up car).

I tried two different chargers - one a cheapo from the street side - requires 14 hours to charge them. The other a "quick charger" which i got from the same place where i got the tuning parts for the car - it charges them in about one hour but the batteries get blazing hot when doing so - the result is the same, 10 minutes, done.

I tried Sanyo and Panasonic rechargeables, and finally rather old Varta ones that i had in my Walkie-Talkie from Germany - THOSE lasted LONGER than alkalines! And they were NiCd type.

In my digital camera (an old Sony CyberShot) alkalines can take about 10 pictures with flash and finish, the rechargeables (again Sanyo as well as Panasonic, haven't tried the Vartas) here last LONGER than that, some 20-25 pictures (still a joke). The battery supplied by Sony lasts for ever in that cam (50-60 pictures with flash) and is chargeable in-cam with the supplied charger.

Best regards.....

Thanh