Thai Rice Porridge?

KMixon

When we were in Thailand last summer I had a kind of rice porridge for breakfast. The broth was very light, but full of flavor. There was chicken, lime juice, maybe some mint and rice in it. I love love love this dish, but really have no idea what it is or what it is called. When we return I am planning on eating it everyday...or many times at least, but first i need to know what to ask for.

Thanks!

When we were in Thailand last summer I had a kind of rice porridge for breakfast. The broth was very light, but full of flavor. There was chicken, lime juice, maybe some mint and rice in it. I love love love this dish, but really have no idea what it is or what it is called. When we return I am planning on eating it everyday...or many times at least, but first i need to know what to ask for.

Thanks!

Congee or jock :o

Great! I am looking forward to having that soon!! My thai friend here in the states said she would make it for me. I hope it as good as I remember! Thanks for your replies.

One more question, Is it pronounced Jock, or Joke?

I love this stuff.

All the ingredients ( as in the pix); grounded pork ball, congee rice, shreaded ginger, gailanto (Thai= pak-che), egg (poached or scrambled), that's a standard dish.

At home when I making this dish ( in winter we always have it offen as 2/3 times a week), I add some slices of boneless fish, shrimps and thousand-year-old-eggs, also toppled with preserved cabbage ( Thai = tung-chai) with a teaspoonful of garlic oil....yummy!

The secret: cook everything in chicken broth.

Jok......ready to eat by itself ----picture above

Kaotom.....u eat with may side dishes.....

unless you're having the special "kaotom w/meat in it"...ex, kaotom pla :o

Jok is a rice PORRIDGE - so just like a Jap congee, or oats porridge, the grains are cooked down until they break up and become thick and gelatinous.

They are no longer individual grains, and they become a different, thicker smoother texture.

Unlike a lot of Chibnese and South East Asian rice porridges, jok actually tastes nice!

Flavours and garnishes are added in so the finished dish has some real flavour, Thai style.

In a lot of congees, the rice porridge is cooked plain, and garnishes served as side dishes and added in as per the preference of the diner.

My preference is for tasty rice porridge, Thai style.

Khao Tom is basically "rice soup".

It is not cooked down into a porridge and is a clear water, broth or stock with individual (but soft) grains of rice in it, as well as (usually) chicken or prawn, ginger, coriander, pepper etc.

Both are simple to make.

Both are tasty.

Jok is a great base for expensive ingredients too, fine dining places around the globe are using it to showcase things like truffle, sea urchin, lobster and scallop more and more often.

Having only a kettle to cook with at the moment and starting with a nasty cold I've just stocked up on instant pots of johk and noodles for the next couple of days - both with chicken. Nearest thing to Jewish Penicillin (chicken soup) available.

Thanks!

It sounds like spacer.gifโจ้ก "Johk". Search the internet there are plenty of recipes out there...http://www.ehow.com/how_2226308_thai-rice-porridge.html

DSC00136.jpg

a rice soup is another brealfest favorites, called Khao Tom. But, is more of a soup....

Edited by aircut

We make rice porridge but just a little different for our daughter.The wife calls it khatum if that is correct.It is thiker then jok.The kid does not like the sunny egg so we make it with scrambled eggs for her,and we cut the pork balls in half.The wife tells me that this is mostly for old people and young children or people that are sick.Well we eat it all the time. :D

Oh and for westerner check out the place mat. :o Obviously you have no real idea what good food is.

post-14263-1235076190_thumb.jpg

Edited by blue eyes

We make rice porridge but just a little different for our daughter.The wife calls it khatum if that is correct.It is thiker then jok.The kid does not like the sunny egg so we make it with scrambled eggs for her,and we cut the pork balls in half.The wife tells me that this is mostly for old people and young children or people that are sick.Well we eat it all the time. :D

Oh and for westerner check out the place mat. :o Obviously you have no real idea what good food is.

I like good food, not something that looks like the cat just brought up :D

post-29944-1235110026_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Ask your thai friend where the nearest Asian market it is that will sell the Johk base. Thai shops definitely sell the base and "all in" Asian super markets are very likely to have a thai brand of Johk base. You then only have to add the water, egg and other bits and pieces that you may like. Dress with the likes of corriander and also the thai fermented mustard on top is yummie. Also for flavouring dry chilli flakes and fish sauce.

The attachment (if it loads) is the one that we buy by the carton but will give you an idea of what to look for.

Cheers

I like good food, not something that looks like the cat just brought up :o

I can see your point Westerner.In the photo the pork balls do resemble the hair balls that my long haired cat has coughed up in the past.But jok and khao tom are very good,try them some time.