Villa Market In Phuket

thaigerd

Thanks Gerd! - or whoever is responsible for finally bringing Tahina across "the Mountain"! Finally I don't have to go to The Deli just to get Tahina - knowing they will only have it ever so often.... Maybe between Villa and Deli we will finally have a consistant supply... ?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful with the Tops Spot card. Picked up a leaflet for that and, in the small print, say they will pass on ALL your details (that's address, phone, mobiles, any other info) to whoever they may choose if they feel like it. Didn't see any opt out box. Mmmm not for me, thanks.

What..... that's scary. No no way ...... :D:)

Just put the wrong number!!

One thing I appreciated in Villa was the lack of loud music that makes shopping unpleasant in Tescos, Big C etc. ... until today.

Seems that not only do they now play awful supermarket music inside but some joker has set up his sound system in front as well to blare out soft rock. Am I the only one who feels that this does not enhance the shopping experience?

Edible food (1st time I have ever corrected grammar, but as the writer is English and was recently predicting an invasion of "chavs" , I thought it best to correct, lest he too become one of the invaders.)

How about competitiveness? The Villa market merchandise tends to be be more costly if one compares to similar products sold at carrefour. I appreciate that there is usually better service and often products one cannot find elsewhere, so I can understand if that part is more expensive. However, run of the mill goods don't merit the markup. (I have only shopped Villa in Bangkok, so I may be unfair.)

I have compared prices for canned or bottled foods in Villa BKK, the supermarket in Central Chidlom and Tesco Lotus Muang Patum, and they are all pretty much the same, but Villa and Chidlom have a better choice in bread cheese etc.

Well, i went down today and i checked out the muffins to see if the fresh ones have arrived.

I see the pricing gun has put a new used by date over the plastic tag which has the real used by date on it.

Same old Bangkok villa trickery has reached Phuket.

Absolute disgrace.

I agree totally with baabaabobo and hdrider. What started out as a nice, quiet and sophisticated place to shop has already gone "Phuket". I was there yesterday and the music was horrendous inside the shop, so my wife and I just left. And at the front door, they've hired some guy with a computer, an amp, a mixer and two jumbo speakers to make as much noise as humanly possible. Why would Villa do that? Seems to me they don't understand their market. I shan't be going back.

Agree about the horrible noise but a good plus is that wine/alcohol can be purchased at any time during the day there, unlike the silly laws elsewhere :D

Chantal,

I did not notice that wine&alcohol (un)banned time :) .

Noise level of music will be corrected :D .

Gerd

they have the NZ wines with animals on the bottle. (what you can buy at the corner store back home, cheapest wines but good cheap wines)

im in heaven. except they do not carry the famous monkey trail which has a monkey eating ants from a stick.. Pinguin is good though.

Hi

Gerd

Where do i find sausage there taste like real German sausage, you know bockwurst, winer, that kind, did look today but could not find any

Hi HDRIDER,

I've bought the ones from OTTO in Villa(opposite the french cheese counter), quite nice ones. But there's a new German butcher shop in Phuket Town with a German master butcher, great products.

If you want a real German bratwurst ask me, just producing 25 kg........ :)

Back to the sausage filler now.

Gerd

Good to see Villa have stopped music inside but still have speakers on their outside walls playing alongside the beer garden music. yesterday I strolled around the rest of the complex & some stall holder was blaring loud music. What is it with the mindset that believes in the value of loud music or any kind of loud noise to attract more custom?

I like to think you miss my point. I am perfectly happy to pay 20% over the odfds for an avocado to the extent that Villa provides these products at any price, when elsewhere they are not available. Now if villa believes its wasting money and space providing walnut oil that is fine (apart from the fact they tell me every 3 days it is on the way from Bangkok). But then again if they are not prepared to sell specialiaty products which on an individual basis may make them little money, while not simply send the maid off to buy everything from Lotus. (Incidentally the oil issue was resolved by a PM from a TV member who correctly pointed out that both products could be bought from (maybe slightly wrong names - farang foods Paradise - which is 300m from Lotus.)

I like to think their business model is based on two factors (1) providing very high quality product and (2) providing the widest selection of product not because each product in itself must necessarily be that profitable but because the wide selection is a service that people are prepared to pay for.

Incidentally, Gerd, I think you are responsible for much of the imported meat there. I have tried them several times and despite an inherent loyalty to 'Choice Foods' your meat is clearly far superior (by a considerable margin) in terms of both quality and choice to a say Tops/Lotus offering.

Incidentally before questioning why Villa should sell truffle oil and walnut oil. a much better question is why they feel the need to offer as many as 20 different olive oils.

Edited by LivinginKata
Off topic remark removed

also, anyone know if you can find food cream for reasonable price in phuket? i only saw some small backs in carrefour but they were like 120 baht for 1dl pack, way too expensive. didnt see any at villa or tesco lotus

also, anyone know if you can find food cream for reasonable price in phuket? i only saw some small backs in carrefour but they were like 120 baht for 1dl pack, way too expensive. didnt see any at villa or tesco lotus

What do you mean by 'food cream' do you mean cream thickened or fat reduced....

to be honest i have no idea. back home i would just read a recipe that said "food cream" and i went to buy box that said "food cream". there are "food cream" boxes in carrefour in the far back left hand side corner(but like i said 120 baht for ~1dl bottle and i need like 5-8dl so it becomes a bit expensive).

i have no idea what is different with this cream. i think it had 5% fat in the box i used to buy back home.

sorry for not being able to be more specific :)

Just met with the VILLA owner this morning:

He's planning to open a restaurant corner inside the market in the future and the question is now what kind of food would you like.

My ideas:

-All day breakfast

-Continental breakfast

-Good and basic Thai food

-A good coffee

-Freshly prepared sandwiches

Some more input from you please!

Gerd

Agree with your selection and would say.. Keep the options simple but good quality..

Make it the best coffee.. Have the staff REALLY trained in pulling an excellent shot.. Its not hard to do but so many places I go to (why do I bother with starbucks) its some bitter half assed attempt. A well done espresso makes me stop every time I am passing.

to be honest i have no idea. back home i would just read a recipe that said "food cream" and i went to buy box that said "food cream". there are "food cream" boxes in carrefour in the far back left hand side corner(but like i said 120 baht for ~1dl bottle and i need like 5-8dl so it becomes a bit expensive).

i have no idea what is different with this cream. i think it had 5% fat in the box i used to buy back home.

sorry for not being able to be more specific :)

Maybe 'double' cream (similar in consistency to 'sour' cream without the sour taste). Mainly used in cooking, unlike the whipping or pouring cream. Double cream would be good to get, as well as creme fraiche.

sorry for not being able to be more specific :D

Maybe 'double' cream (similar in consistency to 'sour' cream without the sour taste). Mainly used in cooking, unlike the whipping or pouring cream. Double cream would be good to get, as well as creme fraiche.

I like cooking with double cream and creme fraiche as well :) .

Let's see if they can get it.

Gerd

Spaghetti that taste good, doesnt need to be a huge serving.. Just homemade meat sauce is well worth 120 baht for a decent plate.

Same for lasagna.

I would definately eat there after shopping if they had some good,quick and cheap pasta

Pasta dishes are a perfect suggestion, thanks!!!

Gerd

Just met with the VILLA owner this morning:

He's planning to open a restaurant corner inside the market in the future and the question is now what kind of food would you like.

My ideas:

-All day breakfast

-Continental breakfast

-Good and basic Thai food

-A good coffee

-Freshly prepared sandwiches

Some more input from you please!

Gerd

Some good quality salads. (oh with walnut oil of course :) )

Hi Gerd,

can I ask your affiliation with Villa? I saw you advertise for staff and you seem to be involved somehow.

Part owner? Shareholder?

Huggybear,

I am working for a food importing company and we have different counters/displays in the Villa Market.

Someone else from our company is in charge for the Villa operations, not me!!!

But of course when I am in the area I have a look what's going on there.

Gerd

Huggybear,

I am working for a food importing company and we have different counters/displays in the Villa Market.

Someone else from our company is in charge for the Villa operations, not me!!!

But of course when I am in the area I have a look what's going on there.

Gerd

Understood, cheers HB

SOME DR.PEPPERS AT THE RESTAURANT

ive gone to villa 5times now spending over 4000baht each time and every time i leave angry because theres no dr.peppers.

Maybe a limit of 1-2 cans per person? theres definately an asshol_e taking all the cans