Villa Market In Phuket

thaigerd

What's the hours of Operation...I saw 10PM -22:00 hrs for close but open?

I've been dealing with the DELI Supermarket since 1993 but have known the Boss Damrong since '88 , the DELI is not just a Supermarket , he also supplies alot of places....one thing alot of people forget in these forums is Loyalty & Friendship...and not to deny anyone the right to save money....I still stop in to buy things at SIN&LEE in Phuket Town , they once were the only place for Farang Foods...I say hi to the son & ask about the Mom !

I 've been buying from Villa since '88 when I did Derby King in BKK , and a good rep for having it all....Nobody ever says their prices are crazy , too dear maybe ! But I see posts in Phuket Forums and people I meet constantly complaining about the DELI prices....Well they're all quite wrong , I've compared , more then most shoppers and alot of items are better then the Big Farang Chains but it's the everyday stuff that they are cheaper at...Don't blame the Deli for Imported item High Prices, That's the Import Duties Fault...In Singapore food imports are suppose to be TAX free !!! but they make up the duty by higher pricing certain foods ......One thing also at the DELI , he always is trying to improve !

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the hours of Operation...I saw 10PM -22:00 hrs for close but open?

But I see posts in Phuket Forums and people I meet constantly complaining about the DELI prices....Well they're all quite wrong , I've compared , more then most shoppers and alot of items are better then the Big Farang Chains but it's the everyday stuff that they are cheaper at...Don't blame the Deli for Imported item High Prices, That's the Import Duties Fault...In Singapore food imports are suppose to be TAX free !!! but they make up the duty by higher pricing certain foods ......One thing also at the DELI , he always is trying to improve !

Open 09.00

I've never heard anyone say that DELI prices are high. Indeed I just posted (above) that their deli counter items are cheaper than the big stores.

Just spoke to the owner this morning and suggested to build a food counter like they have in all Foodland stores.

A cheap breakfast with toast, eggs, bacon or sausages, orange juice, coffee, jam and butter. I think it's around 50 Baht in Bangkok or Pattaya.

What do you think?

Owner ?? You mean Villa, I'd pay 50 baht anytime for a mini buffet breakfast. Would this be all day, or until a set time. Great idea.

Yes, the owner from Villa. He is very open to all new ideas.

Foodland does this breakfast from 5am to 11pm I think.

Gerd

Gerd are the Villa supermarkets franchised?

No, it's not a franchise, it is owned by a Thai family from Bangkok.

If you are able to get space or a counter in there you have to pay a percentage from your selling price to them.

So far it has attract many customers(Thai and foreigners) and all the shop owners are very happy.

Gerd

What do you think will happen to the Deli now that Villa has opened? I still go to Deli for some hard to get items, but haven't tried Villa yet. I thought the Deli would go out of business with the opening of Carrefour, but they still seem to hang on.

The Deli died with the introduction of the one way system, no chance of street parking, and the opening of Carrefour. I used to be a regular shopper there for many years, but stock levels were reduced, items not restocked. Not been there for about a year. Feel sorry for the guy...

Well I am still with Khun Damrong (since 1994) and will always be with him. Times are changing, lets see what happens, shall we. Lots of things in the pot brewing. :o

-------------------------------

This thread is about 'Villa' and I wish them well.

If you are able to get space or a counter in there you have to pay a percentage from your selling price to them.

So far it has attract many customers(Thai and foreigners) and all the shop owners are very happy.

Gerd

Never done that and never will. Very sad really, having to pay a supermarket/chain to put your imported products in :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Never done that and never will. Very sad really, having to pay a supermarket/chain to put your imported products in :o

Yours truly,

So you expect to a supplier to get a counter for free. Forgetting about Villa's overhead for rent, electric, etc. Seems to me that a % cut to Villa is quite fair.

Never done that and never will. Very sad really, having to pay a supermarket/chain to put your imported products in :o

Yours truly,

So you expect to a supplier to get a counter for free. Forgetting about Villa's overhead for rent, electric, etc. Seems to me that a % cut to Villa is quite fair.

Actually Kan Win has a valid point. Clearly Villa has to make a profit somehow either he lets the supplier set the price and takes a cut or he takes at cost and marks up. The idea that the supplier is allowed to set the price to me is rather unsatisfactory. I dont really compare prices much but would generally assume fairly uniform pricing with exceptions (say oysters which are perishable). A supplier who marks up exceptionally say 150% is taking advantage of those who mark up reasonably and when 'found out' will tend to give Villa a bad reputation for offering poor value.

As villa will be held responsible for pricing in the consumer's eyes whoever is actually responsible, it seems a rather strange decision.

Gerd

Thanks Gerd if you had a product and you wanted to get it on the shelves how difficult would it be?

Cheers

Gerd

Thanks Gerd if you had a product and you wanted to get it on the shelves how difficult would it be?

Cheers

Please pm me and will try to help you(if you have a product for them).

Gerd

...I dont really compare prices much but would generally assume fairly uniform pricing with exceptions (say oysters which are perishable). A supplier who marks up exceptionally say 150% is taking advantage of those who mark up reasonably and when 'found out' will tend to give Villa a bad reputation for offering poor value....

I do compare prices and always have - both when I shopped at home and, now, in Thailand. Villa's prices, to me, are a bad joke.

...if you're looking for something that is also for sale in another supermarket like Big C, Lotus or even 7/11, you'll pay 10-20% more for the same in Villa. Also frozen meals, same stuff for sale at Flintstones for considerably less.

I agree. Maybe only 5% up on some produce such as milk (85 baht for 2 litres, normally 81), but much more on others. Even water 35 baht for Pure Life, when Makro etc sell for 30. I had a look at Flora and other stuff - all more than the big supermarkets.

So why does Villa even try to compete selling easily available products? Why not stock the products that you can't get anywhere else? Take for example breakfast cereals - there are shelves and shelves of the stuff in Villa, every flavour of every type of wheat/rice/corn product, exactly the same as Big C. But where's the Shreddies? A simple breakfast cereal that probably every retired person from England remembers - and would buy - but nowhere to be seen.

...Villa's bread department is a joke...

Talking of jokes, I was there on opening day and nearly burst out laughing when I saw a smallish loaf of bread for sale at 299 baht. :o That works out at about 50p a slice. <deleted>? Did it ever get sold, I wonder... (and who the h3ll bought it?). I'll be sticking to the Bread Shop near Tesco Park.

And I did see the rather sad looking packets of frozen crumpets - 'sad' because they were a bit thin or squashed. Guess how much? Go on, don't read any further, have a guess.....one hundred and seventy five baht for 6. That's about 3 pounds 40 a packet! :D Unbelievable.

As usual, I was in Phuket town later in the day and picked up a jar of Marmite from Central. Still a rip off at 379 baht for 250g, but at least it wasn't the 410 baht at Villa.

Sorry Villa, but once you start charging stupid prices for ANYTHING, the idea that you are a rip-off sticks and takes a long time to go away. So I'll be continuing to shop at Big C, Makro, Phuket Butchers, The Bread Shop and Don's Mall.

Best of luck, anyway. Here's hoping Foodland decide to come here and give you a bit of competition.

PS. Does anyone know how much the McVities Digestive biscuits are going for at Villa, as they didn't have a price on them when I was there. Marks & Spencer (in Central) have their own on special offer at 95 baht for two large (400g) packs.

PS. Does anyone know how much the McVities Digestive biscuits are going for at Villa, as they didn't have a price on them when I was there. Marks & Spencer (in Central) have their own on special offer at 95 baht for two large (400g) packs.

Central offer - that was only because they were almost out of sell-by-date. I've still got a couple of packs left with Display until 18/3/09, and Sell by 1/4/09. T'was a great deal, half price... :o

I went to Villa on Friday evening and was a little dissapointed. It did not really have a great deal different from Tops or Carrefore for me. There are a few things I will get there but Heinz Baked Beans are still crazy prices. I will bring some tins over from Singapore now. Crumputs were expensive but very good.

On the whole I will pop in on occassions but I did not find a great deal to rave about unfortunatly.

Central offer - that was only because they were almost out of sell-by-date. I've still got a couple of packs left with Display until 18/3/09, and Sell by 1/4/09. T'was a great deal, half price... :o

At least they are discounted.

Villa opened on the 10th and they already had out of date muffins, not a good start.

I guarantee they are still down there at full price.

Villa opened on the 10th and they already had out of date muffins, not a good start.

Thanks for the information!

I just had a call from the owner Khun Pong and reported the out dated muffins to him.

Please pm me the product name and supplying company, he asked me to take action.

Gerd

Ooohh katasyd, when are you ever going to get over those muffins ... :o:D:D

I did without muffins for years so i can live without them now,it's a shame they can't import fresh ones though.

As usual, I was in Phuket town later in the day and picked up a jar of Marmite from Central. Still a rip off at 379 baht for 250g, but at least it wasn't the 410 baht at Villa.

I think if you are on a budget, then you have to factor in fuel costs for your car too. I mean, if you were only going to buy 1 jar of marmite, would you be spending more than 31 baht to get to Central rather than to Villa Market? If answer is yes, then Villa Market is the better place to go.

Another factor would be time element as well. For me, retired, time is not a problem, but if you are working and Villa Market is easier to get to, then you might be saving money in other ways - just a thought.

I did without muffins for years so i can live without them now,it's a shame they can't import fresh ones though.

If you want truely fresh then it's easy enough to make your own. I've not eaten tattie scones for over 12 years. Hmmm... I'm off to google and find a recipe for potato scones.... :o

I think if you are on a budget, then you have to factor in fuel costs for your car too. I mean, if you were only going to buy 1 jar of marmite, would you be spending more than 31 baht to get to Central rather than to Villa Market? If answer is yes, then Villa Market is the better place to go.

Yes, that's just the point I was making to another forum member in Villa the other day. For just routine items I would pay at least 300 baht extra. My fuel price to Makro (and back) is about 70 baht. I'm in Patong most mornings so it's no problem to go to Carrefour, and their bread counter is terrific. I will go to Villa for all the lovely goodies I can't buy (hard to find) anywhere else on Phuket Island, but I won't buy items I can get cheaper elsewhere. For me it's just 2km down the road to Villa, and I regularily go to Home Pro Chalong for home maintenance items. Home Pro Chalong is a god send to me, no more trips along Chao Fa West to Lotus Home Pro.... aaaahh .. :o

If you want truely fresh then it's easy enough to make your own. I've not eaten tattie scones for over 12 years. Hmmm... I'm off to google and find a recipe for potato scones.... :o

Mmmm.. scones

I would buy them.

Central offer - that was only because they were almost out of sell-by-date. I've still got a couple of packs left with Display until 18/3/09, and Sell by 1/4/09. T'was a great deal, half price... :D

Yes. Mine are "Display until 15-4-2009, Best before 29-4-2009".

The taste OK though. :o

I've still got 3 packs in the fridge. I did have some Ginger Biscuits too - same offer - but they were just toooo scrummy! All gone now :D

Another factor would be time element as well. For me, retired, time is not a problem, but if you are working and Villa Market is easier to get to, then you might be saving money in other ways - just a thought.

I agree. I, too, am retired but I'm usually in Phuket town every day, so calling in at Big C, Makro or Central with a shopping list is normal for me.

For sure, people working and living in the south will find it handy, but it's the higher prices of standard items puts me off. I would never do my regular shopping there. Maybe if they brought the crumpets down to 2 quid a packet.... :o

FYI......Villa was started by the former

US EMBASSY COMMISARY Thai manager , in the 80's

he learned what American families couldn't get , even in their own commisary,

he learned about Euopean tastes too...geez ,I was just remembering

when Belucky was about the only company around with deli meats

some really good, some ok overall....matter of fact, I think Thai sausage was

around too...they had the best bacon & salami in those days...still good

Went to Villa in Chalong yesterday.

It's certainly all very lovely, with seemingly well trained staff.

Unfortunately, just about everything is out of my price range, as i'm just on a teacher's salary.

I might be able to have a monthly treat in there, but it certainly wont be a shopping trolley full of goodies every week.

It's funny. After being here for 5 years, i walked around Villa thinking, 'you never know you miss this stuff until someone shows you what you're missing'

If you're impecunious, it's probably better to stay out of Villa.

You won't know what you're missing then!

Seconded

Good point; depends on your fuel consumption , but Central has a parking problem, particularly bad over the last few holiday weekends.

I don't think a crumpet is a muffin, may be wrong, but Oxford Dictionary describes them differently

maybe a muffin is a crumpet! :o

Edited by Wellington

Went to Villa in Chalong yesterday.

It's certainly all very lovely, with seemingly well trained staff.

Unfortunately, just about everything is out of my price range, as i'm just on a teacher's salary.

I might be able to have a monthly treat in there, but it certainly wont be a shopping trolley full of goodies every week.

It's funny. After being here for 5 years, i walked around Villa thinking, 'you never know you miss this stuff until someone shows you what you're missing'

If you're impecunious, it's probably better to stay out of Villa.

You won't know what you're missing then!

My thoughts exactly.

I expect to pay a lot for imported items. But, when i see an apple that is sold at all the local markets for 10 baht (you know, the ones with the pink styrofoam netting on them) and in the new Villa store, the same apple is 25 baht, well, that told me everything i needed to know. (staff were friendly though)

Seconded

Good point; depends on your fuel consumption , but Central has a parking problem, particularly bad over the last few holiday weekends.

I don't think a crumpet is a muffin, may be wrong, but Oxford Dictionary describes them differently

maybe a muffin is a crumpet! :o

Muffin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin

Nothing like crumpet or even a crumpet and You wouldn't have it with melted butter .

Seconded

maybe a muffin is a crumpet! :D

Muffin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin

Nothing like crumpet or even a crumpet and You wouldn't have it with melted butter .

So we are agreed then

Muffin is an American "Cake" which you would not soak in butter after roasting it over the log fire

Crumpet is English and can be roasted over a fire on a long metal fork to prevent burning your hands

"Crumpet" is also a slang term for a young girl, who will not like being roasted over the fire ,though she may like being buttered! :o