Tipping At Carwash

junkofdavid2

How much do you usually tip at a carwash?

For that matter, how much do you pay for the carwash to begin with?

Is the tip proportionate to the price of the carwash?

:o

Tipping is not a Thai custom, only an imported western practice.

Please don't start it at car washes.

Next thing it will be tipping after a haircut, buying food at the market etc.......

How much do you usually tip at a carwash?

For that matter, how much do you pay for the carwash to begin with?

Is the tip proportionate to the price of the carwash?

:o

Please don't start it at car washes.

Next thing it will be tipping after a haircut, buying food at the market etc.......

Agree, but most thai ladies leave tip when they get their hair done. So does some thai blokes after haircut. Seems to be more towards those ladies washing your hair as they propably are in low salary compared to the barbers and hairdressers.

A car wash is around 80 baht. I never tip, but if they do a good job, low wait time, and is detailed and am in a good mood I give them a hundred and tell them to keep the change. However tipping is not normal for Thailand. Well its not supposed to be. There is still little to no tipping in most Asian countriese like Korea, China. Even in New Zealand and Asutrailia tippping is not the norm.

Rubbish...

An opinion, certainly. Regrettably, not backed up by any reference or evidence.

Here is one view from a travel advice site:-

Tipping

Tipping is not generally expected in Thailand. The exception is loose change from a large restaurant bill; if a meal costs 488B and you pay with a 500B note, some Thais will leave the 12B change. It's not so much a tip as a way of saying 'I'm not so money grubbing as to grab every last baht'. On the other hand, change from a 50B note for a 44B bill will usually not be left behind.

My personal view has been moulded by experience of dining with Thais - I will now leave 20 Baht in BBQ/Thai style open bar/restaurant, 20/30 Baht at a carwash and maybe 100 Baht at a 'proper' restaurant. My barber gets 10 Baht to round up my payment to 50 baht.

Edited by Chaimai

Rubbish...

An opinion, certainly. Regrettably, not backed up by any reference or evidence.

Here is one view from a travel advice site:-

Tipping

Tipping is not generally expected in Thailand. The exception is loose change from a large restaurant bill; if a meal costs 488B and you pay with a 500B note, some Thais will leave the 12B change. It's not so much a tip as a way of saying 'I'm not so money grubbing as to grab every last baht'. On the other hand, change from a 50B note for a 44B bill will usually not be left behind.

My personal view has been moulded by experience of dining with Thais - I will now leave 20 Baht in BBQ/Thai style open bar/restaurant, 20/30 Baht at a carwash and maybe 100 Baht at a 'proper' restaurant. My barber gets 10 Baht to round up my payment to 50 baht.

Wow, sounds like that was lifted straight out of the "Lonely Planet." If it is, then you're referencing some bit of fluff that was...sorry, might have been...uhmmm lifted to begin with. But I like the way you tip; makes sense :-) More sense than that quote :o

I agree that tipping is not really common here in Thailand, and usually I am very to act in accordance with local custom, but in the case of car wash, I did usually tip 20 Baht. I thought those people have to work very hard for a pathetic wage, so I thought it cannot be bad to show them my appreciation of what they do. I think to show appreciation is worth even more than the 20 baht itself, and the smiles I often got confirmed that.

the same i do at those chain-restaurants such as Swensens, Black Canyon. people there work very very hard. those places are usually extremely busy. As a waiter, I wouldnt wanna work in the Swensens' at Mall Bangkapi on the first sunday afternoon of the month, with a hord of screaming kids around me, who make me even drop the food I am serving when I stumble across a kid sitting/playing on the floor.

okay, but maybe better not continue this here as the topic was CAR WASH only..... there has been a fierce discussion about tipping not so long ago and I dont wanna open the gate again.....

Very interesting responses, which seems to be that farangs (as I assume most or all in this forum are) tip from zero to 20 baht at the carwash.

I also did a survey today among my Thai classmates in MBA who, despite being from from the more privileged/educated social classes, tip zero at carwashes and say they only tip at restaurants.

By the way,

This is exactly my 1000th POST! Cheers to all of you! :D

JunkOfDavid2 :o

Very interesting responses, which seems to be that farangs (as I assume most or all in this forum are) tip from zero to 20 baht at the carwash.

I also did a survey today among my Thai classmates in MBA who, despite being from from the more privileged/educated social classes, tip zero at carwashes and say they only tip at restaurants.

By the way,

This is exactly my 1000th POST! Cheers to all of you! :D

JunkOfDavid2 :D

I guess: the more "upper class" they are, the less they tip.

thats what I have observed many times.

BTW: your 1000th post - where are the drinks ?

:o:D

80B inside and out, my wife tells me that paying 100B (total) is plenty, but how can 5 guys share 20B? I nearly always pay 120b (40B tip) and get preferable service from the 'team leader.'

Jeez, back home it'd cost 500-600B to clean it yourself at a petrol station.

Well worth it, and I don't care if I'm a mug.

I always use the same car wash at Big C in Buriram, can't remember the name of it but they are part of a chain seen at most Big C's. Their standard wash is 300 Baht, not cheap but it really is top quality and takes well over an hour. Just bought one of their "privilege cards" cost 6200 Baht and offers a saving of around 2000 Baht and the lady actually threw in a free engine and leather clean on our last visit. Normal price for wash, waxing, leather and engine clean in about 1800 Baht and takes around 2 and a half hours with 3 guys working. I tip a minimum 60 Baht per visit simply because it's top quality job, 100% satisfied every time.

Rubbish...

Maigo6 I for one would be interested to hear why you say "Rubbish" If for no one else please explain for the broadening of my mind. :o

Certainly, many Thai people do tip for services.

Maybe you have never been around Thai people who can afford to pay, I have.

Is that a clear enough explanation ? :D

While in Tokyo, Go6?

But neither me nor my partner tip much at a car wash. (If I have the bike cleaned and 1 guy does all the work then I give HIM 10 baht) Normally we have a coffee or tea whilst waiting and will toss in 10-30 baht on the total tab depending on if we are just washing the car , the bike, or both.

Rubbish...

Maigo6 I for one would be interested to hear why you say "Rubbish" If for no one else please explain for the broadening of my mind. :o

Certainly, many Thai people do tip for services. No doubt they do, the post is about tipping at car washes or didn't you notice that small point.

Maybe you have never been around Thai people who can afford to pay, I have. Well, well - nice tune when one blows ones own trumpet - clearly a one piece band. :D

Is that a clear enough explanation ? :D I think it is an escape from a self created sticky situation more than " a clear enough explanation, no tip intended.

While in Tokyo, Go6?

But neither me nor my partner tip much at a car wash. (If I have the bike cleaned and 1 guy does all the work then I give HIM 10 baht) Normally we have a coffee or tea whilst waiting and will toss in 10-30 baht on the total tab depending on if we are just washing the car , the bike, or both.

Thats cos you don't have enough money to afford a tiip....

Some people do. :o

Edited by Maigo6

I always use the same car wash at Big C in Buriram, can't remember the name of it but they are part of a chain seen at most Big C's. Their standard wash is 300 Baht, not cheap but it really is top quality and takes well over an hour. Just bought one of their "privilege cards" cost 6200 Baht and offers a saving of around 2000 Baht and the lady actually threw in a free engine and leather clean on our last visit. Normal price for wash, waxing, leather and engine clean in about 1800 Baht and takes around 2 and a half hours with 3 guys working. I tip a minimum 60 Baht per visit simply because it's top quality job, 100% satisfied every time.

I think that car wash is rubbish and way way overpriced. It is at least 50% more than Pattaya. It has also gone up from about 240 or so to 280 or so in 6 months.

Though I have used it before, I now use a place on the beginning of the road out to Surin which is way nearer my house anyway. Much better service with full overhead ramps and Bt160 I think.

80B inside and out, my wife tells me that paying 100B (total) is plenty, but how can 5 guys share 20B? I nearly always pay 120b (40B tip) and get preferable service from the 'team leader.'

Jeez, back home it'd cost 500-600B to clean it yourself at a petrol station.

Well worth it, and I don't care if I'm a mug.

I also tip around 100baht to the leader of the 3 guys who do my vehicle. because I always get the good wax, and leather done inside. and when it leaves there it looks like a new vehicle...so they take good care insuring the job is done very good...

tips do go along way in thailand when using the same place all the time,,,,did take me about 10 places until i found this one in my area,,,,,and they care about we returning

While in Tokyo, Go6?

Thats cos you don't have enough money to afford a tiip....

Some people do. :D

'Maigo6' It appears by your posts that you are a lost and sorry soul, I can't imagine you tipping anyone except to possibly give advice - horse 7 race 3 and then expect a kick back if it gets up.

More importantly is your nick Maigo6 or Heng? (I noticed your bi-line) ends with (Heng) If not Heng then do you pay royalties??

First tip in any car wash (especially in Thailand) is to wind up the windows before entering the actual wash area. :o Over and out to tipping at car washes.

'

Maigo6' It appears by your posts that you are a lost and sorry soul,

More importantly is your nick Maigo6 or Heng? (I noticed your bi-line) ends with (Heng) If not Heng then do you pay royalties??

LOL...Yep, I'm lost and sorry.... :D

Heng and I worked out a great deal for me to use one of his famous quotes as my signature, for a good tip, I'll let you use one of mine. :o

Edited by Maigo6