Does Entry Without Visa Limit Later Entries With A Visa?

My apologies if this has been raised before but the volume of information on this site is such that it's hard to find what has been discussed at times.

My understanding is that if you enter Thailand without a Visa (as in our case, being American citizens) you can stay for up to 30 days at any one time and up to 90 days within a six month period.

If you enter Thailand without a visa and later on re-enter with a visa (tourist or non-O) does the 90 day rule still apply? Perhaps I am overthinking the issue but I don't see where this possibility is addressed.

Sinds a few months there is no more limit as to the days you can stay back to back on visa exemt entries. However you now only get 30 days at an airport if you arrive without a visa. At land borders you will only recieve 15 days.

The rule never applied in combination with a visa. If you want to stay longer then 30 days I advise you to get a tourist visa.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I'm trying to get a visa from the outsourcing office in Chennai, India, and they 1) refuse to give me any sort of non-O visa, and 2) will only give me the three month tourist visa available for Indians, even though I'm a US citizen and entitled to a six month visa. Since Chennai is a considerable distance from where I currently live I don't feel like wasting a trip up there just to sort it out, with a real likelihood of wasting my time.

My thought was to enter Thailand without a visa and within 30 days go to Laos for a proper multiple entry tourist visa, but I don't know if the 90 day rule would limit my ability to do that.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I'm trying to get a visa from the outsourcing office in Chennai, India, and they 1) refuse to give me any sort of non-O visa, and 2) will only give me the three month tourist visa available for Indians, even though I'm a US citizen and entitled to a six month visa. Since Chennai is a considerable distance from where I currently live I don't feel like wasting a trip up there just to sort it out, with a real likelihood of wasting my time.

My thought was to enter Thailand without a visa and within 30 days go to Laos for a proper multiple entry tourist visa, but I don't know if the 90 day rule would limit my ability to do that.

There is no 90 day rule.

If you try to board a flight without a Visa they may well refuse you entry if you do not have a ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days.

If you are planning on staying more than 30 days you need a Visa to start with.

There is no 90 day rule.

If you try to board a flight without a Visa they may well refuse you entry if you do not have a ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days.

I've never heard of anyone being asked for a return ticket on arrival.

I've never heard of anyone being asked for a return ticket on arrival.

Immigration rearly checks, instead it are the airlines who check. Some don't check, others allways check and will you deny boarding if you don't have a visa and stay longer then 30 days in Thailand.

There is no 90 day rule.

I should clarify this. By the "90 Day Rule" I meant the rule that says that tourists that do not need a visa (such as US nationals) are restricted to a total of 90 days in Thailand for any six month period.

Apparently, this rule does not apply if you come in one time without a visa and then return a second time with a visa. Is that correct?

Also, I intend to return back to India for a short trip, if necessary within 30 days, so there is not a problem with the return ticket.

Edited by palomnik

I should clarify this. By the "90 Day Rule" I meant the rule that says that tourists that do not need a visa (such as US nationals) are restricted to a total of 90 days in Thailand for any six month period.

That rule stopped being used nearly 3 months ago.