Pet Dislikes In The Use Of English In Forums

Hanimal

If you think it's always that easy and fun, try this...

"Miittluvraae asilyans sattes an idtenossiy ctuoonr epilsle is the itternoiecsno of a panle pleralal to the xl-yapne and the sruacfe of a btiiarave nmarol dbttiisruein."

There is always one isn't there? Haha.

Do you know why that is so hard to read? Before you answer, let me ask you this. How many times do you come across those words (written correctly) in everyday life?

If I throw these following words into the mix for the rest of the forum members, I wonder how many will actually have seen them, let alone know what they mean when written correctly:

-Multivariate

-isodensity

-ellipse

-bivariate

The statistics are right, but how familiar the reader is with the words differs.

Glad you brought it up though sensei, it is very interesting!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have any pet peeves about the language, as long as I understand what the writer means. The concern I have is that after seeing things used incorrectly frequently, then I start doing it to! Spell check ruined my spelling and the internet has ruined the rest of my writing ability!

As for the Thai word "Baht", I'm really not sure what the correct transliteration is as the ท in many words is transliterated as th. But it does seem that Baht is the accepted transliteration.

The only common word I can think of where it is transliterated as th is Thai(land), probably to distinguish the word from Tai. I think you'll find in most other cases it is T. Taharn, tee, tow rai, torasup, toong, tum, took etc.

most arrogant are those english native speakers who aren't able to communicate in any language other than their mother tongue.

:D

even worse; most of them don't even know how to speak propre Englsih without some terribel dialect ...

lets hope some tipo's and mispelings will give him a hart attak !!

lossing it already?

:o

Edited by geeky

My own pet peeve is people typing "sms" speak whilst using a full keyboard.

u nd 2 stp it, kthxbye?

Haha, you bet me to it phazey!

"leet" talk too (ie: 1337sp34k 4 t3h w1n. Zzzz) The kind you would see in a gaming forum or in online games. Way over the top and EXTREMELY out of place within a regular forum. One forum member automatically springs to mind when I think of that. Usually some infantile one line comment such as <deleted>??? 555! Best reserved for 14 year olds gaming addicts who still consider it cool to talk that way, or 40 year olds gaming addicts who still live at home with mom.

Most of the time misspellings etc dont bother me (I make enough errors of my own! and yes, i did deliberately leave out the ' in don't :o). I realise most of us want to get our thoughts out and often do not pay as much attention as we would if writing something more formal. Plus, many people are not native English speakers.

The only thing that sometimes causes a twitch is when people start writing farung or faroong instead of farang (yes, i know there is a debate ongoing at times whether it is farang or falang..but let it go! :D My point is that when people write a really obscure version of farang. Dunno how to react, just looks so peculiar.)

I do understand that use of English in fora could be a common topic - however, I couldn't find it in a current post - the transliteration of Thai to English is definitely covered in print by Racha Bandit, or the Royal Academy. The older transliteration method established in the period of Rama VI tends to spell out even silent letters (which the Royal Academy method does not allow). Apparently, people especially use the Rama VI version for anything that needs to appear "higher language." For instance, many people descended from a royal line seem to prefer to use the Rama VI method for their surnames.

Back on topic, I do find that it is either laziness or ignorance that leads to so many bad uses of English around the web. It is as if posters want to get their reply in as fast as possible and use the excuse that "As long as I am understood" then it is acceptable. Of course that may be true, but I feel that more often than not it is because the writer does not care to get it right.

If you want to extrapolate this to a business case, a friend of mine who is an Oracle consultant explained how certain Oracle consultants from South Asia are known to write quick and dirty patches for the software during an installation rather than fix the problem correctly (because as long as it works then etc etc, there is no need to do it properly). My friend is called in later when things start to go wrong. In this instance, I think it is the attitude of the people involved that is wrong rather than "anything will do to get the job done." :o

Me Pet, named Dislike, is most Peeved really and 'ates when two or more of ThaiVisaDotCom members are having the same avatar. An eggsample is on page one of this fred.

Most Khunfusing :D

Tinglish not me father's tonge either or is it neither and kannot sepll for toffee to/too boot :o

Who gives a <deleted> toss anyways wat the smelling is like as long as you get your message/post across in this forum. :D

Yours truly,

Can Win :D

P.S. and Kan I second that the OP gets a hobby or two :wai: English Language corsellet and correcting udder folks grama-err :D

Edited by Kan Win

After using the internet for many years now, I have noticed one common error that crops up in thousands of posts in English forums (fora) everywhere. That is the use of the word 'lose.' The number of people who use the word loose (= not tight) instead of lose drives me nuts every time I see it. The phrase 'I am loosing it' used instead of I am losing it is enough to push my blood pressure up. It is not simply a case of being anally retentive as I use US, with its more relaxed usage, or British English depending on which forum I am responding to, however, it seems that there are so many 'English teachers' in thaivisa you would think someone would have pointed this out before!

Does anyone else have any pet hates regarding common errors in English that crop up frequently here? Is this really something we should be careful of, in the case of native speakers, because the Thai members are obviously going to believe that we don't even know our native language?

Definately :o

This is undoubtedly the most annoying written mistake as far as I'm concerned. Non-native speakers I can forgive but when I see educated folk misspelling 'definitely' it irks me something silly.

All these written faux pas, however, pale into insignificance when compared with the spoken evil that spews forth from the mouths of some of the UK's less polished council estate dwellers. "Borrow us a tenner, will yoh?", translating as "be kind enough to lend me ten pounds will you please kind sir?". Urgghh!

Does anyone else have any pet hates regarding common errors in English that crop up frequently here? Is this really something we should be careful of, in the case of native speakers, because the Thai members are obviously going to believe that we don't even know our native language?

Oops, senior moment I meant to cut the above message and reply to this.

First grammar spelling syntax on this or any other internet site is just fine and dandy with me. I don't proof read what I've written and I'm sure many do not. As been noted many on forum aren't native speakers.

What bothers me is reading my local bird cage wrapper where they do have proof readers and seeing the misuse of of many words or a lack of understanding of punctuation. My particular

peeve is the use and misuse of there, their, and they're.

After using the internet for many years now, I have noticed one common error that crops up in thousands of posts in English forums (fora) everywhere. That is the use of the word 'lose.' The number of people who use the word loose (= not tight) instead of lose drives me nuts every time I see it. The phrase 'I am loosing it' used instead of I am losing it is enough to push my blood pressure up. It is not simply a case of being anally retentive as I use US, with its more relaxed usage, or British English depending on which forum I am responding to, however, it seems that there are so many 'English teachers' in thaivisa you would think someone would have pointed this out before!

Yes, yes, yes.

Non-native speakers are exempt from this but 10+ years of schooling didn't do much for some.

Lose/loose is the most common here.

I would of thought that "your" and "you're" was the most common. :o

There are a couple of posters who don't know when not to use the word "an". I even went to the trouble to educate one of them and he nearly banned me. Won't bother any more.

most arrogant are those English native speakers who aren't able to communicate in any language other than their mother tongue.

Your post corrected. :D

As far as this forum is concerned, those posters who think that when there is more than one Thai, there are several Thai's.

Edit: Slightly tangential to the OP, but those who gratuitously slip in the odd bit of Thai really piss me off. You know what I mean: "I had song sahm beer chang last night with tee lak....blah...blah...idiot...blah" As if to show that they have done well by mastering 50 words of Thai in the 10 years that they've been here.

Edited by Gerontion

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig?

Your totally correct scotty.

I raed yuor psot as stoomh as i wloud of if it was seplt crorcelty.

why care about grammar or spelling mistakes if you can understand it??????

I never let my pet dislikes adversely affect my interpretation of a post. That said I do dislike 'centered around' and the classic use of 'less' instead of 'fewer'.

So this post is centered on the fact that fewer posters than there should be understand these simple errors. And not, this post is centered around the fact that less posters than there should be understand these simple errors.

We all have our own dislikes but does it really matter?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig?

... I acutaly unedrstood the enitr paragarph