Help! Computer's Crashed...

Sheryl

While working on a deadline, naturally. :o

Happened after my neice was using it, I think she inadvertently changed the configuration in Windows somehow. Either that or a virus. Or both.

Using Windows XP. Whn I start it now I get, instead of the normal screen, something showing "User"as logged on (which there should not be) and beneath "user" a notation of 10 unread messages. My normal windows configuration does not do this. When I click on "User"I get "Loading your personal settings", then "logging off" then back to the same original "User"screen, ad inifinitum.

Multiple reboots have had no effect.

I have tried to start Windows in safe mode. I can get the menu for safe mode up but when I click on start in safe mode I get a scrolling screen with directory contents folded by freeze. Ditto when I try to start in safe mode command prompt or select"Start with most recent configuration.

I can call up the BIOS menu but have no idea what to do there to rectify matters. Tried loading default settings, no effect.

Needless to say the documents I need are on that computer and not backed up (my bad!)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've pretty well used up my repetoire short of hitting the thing with a hammer, which I am more than slightly temopted to do.....

The fact that you can not even get into Safe Mode Command Prompt Only could mean the boot record is damaged or a fundamental (native) driver is faulty. One possibility is to do a Windows XP Repair Installation. Instructions are here > http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsys...stxprepair1.htm . This assumes you have the XP CD available.

Probably a better choice if you can download it is the Live System Rescue CD which will allow you access to the documents you need to transfer.

You did a lot of things right, although they didn't help in this case, including loading BIOS defaults, but the problem is with XP, not the BIOS. The good news is your data is probably undamaged but you'll likely be facing another install of XP.

The quickest way to get working again, assuming you have an XP CD, is simply do a basic install on another hard drive. Best to disconnect this drive first lest you get some confusion with drive letters, and it's safer also. Once you have that done, connect the original drive again, set the BIOS to boot from the new one, browse over to your old C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents, copy all the data to your new My Docs folder.

Now you can at least work on the data. Run a disk check, anti virus, etc, on the original drive at your leisure.

Peter

Happened after my neice was using it, I think she inadvertently changed the configuration in Windows somehow. Either that or a virus. Or both.

Using Windows XP. Whn I start it now I get, instead of the normal screen, something showing "User"as logged on (which there should not be) and beneath "user" a notation of 10 unread messages. My normal windows configuration does not do this. When I click on "User"I get "Loading your personal settings", then "logging off" then back to the same original "User"screen, ad inifinitum.

I have tried to start Windows in safe mode. I can get the menu for safe mode up but when I click on start in safe mode I get a scrolling screen with directory contents folded by freeze. Ditto when I try to start in safe mode command prompt or select"Start with most recent configuration.

I can call up the BIOS menu but have no idea what to do there to rectify matters. Tried loading default settings, no effect.

Needless to say the documents I need are on that computer and not backed up (my bad!)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've pretty well used up my repetoire short of hitting the thing with a hammer, which I am more than slightly temopted to do.....

Since you can get into Safe Mode I would try doing a system restore to a date prior to your niece using computer.

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

You then just follow instructions.

If above does not correct the next thing I would try is re-write of Master Boot Record.

Boot computer using XP CD. During the setup process hit the "r" to bring up restoration console. I think you then select XP installation.

Next enter the following: fixmbr (may need to be entered as capitals don't remember)

Confirm next question with: y

When complete: exit and try to boot on HDD.

If fixmbr does not correct re-install of XP is in order.

Edited by ballbreaker

The easiest way would be to use the Repair function of XP!

If you've the CD which was used to install XP boot from that CD.

There will be on the first start a option (in the lower menubar) for to Repair! IGNORE that , just hit [Enter]. After the EULA screen (End User Licenses Agreement) you should get an other optiuon to Repair (again in the lower menubar). Use that option by click on the R key.

This will re-install XP without deleting Data and will also keep nearly all if not all drivers and your Windows will start normally after the repair is finish. If you didn't get the 2 Repair option, that can means: 1. the CD you use isn't the one used for to install XP or 2. the old installation is that much damaged that only a clean (complete new) installation will bring the system back to live.

If nothing works but you need to get some data out, let me know by PM'ming me and I'll help you by that.

Cheers.

Thanks guys but I don't have the XP CD and I cannot get into safe mode, only to the menu that should get me into safe mode, see original post.

I also don't have another hard drive on hand (not that I would know what to do with it if I did)

All I seem to have access to is the BIOS menu (and the menu for getting into safe mode, but as that doesn't get me there, useless)

And I have an old Windows 95 CD around, if that would contain naything useful...?

Sheryl, I don't mean to make you sound like a no nothing but have you waited a long time on the safe boot?

I've seen safe mode take 15 minutes to boot for no apparent reason. The scrolling white text on black screen is to be expected.

Coincidentally or no my main PC also crashed and would not let me login, no prb with the password but the answer for me was to start in safe mode which as the other poster sad could take a long time to work and then do a system restore.

It turns out the cause was the last windows update.

Thanks Harvey

I've waited ample time (e.g. 30 min+)

And the whiote scrolling is not what I am talking about, I get a message referring to diskpartition and listing the directory contenst of winsys32...

UI am quite familiar with booting in safe mode. It's not letting me do that now.

Update:

Thanks to extensive help by PM from other TV members I was able to burn a CD rescue disk and then get in, do a systems restore and get my files (4 AM on the night in question!!)

After the system restore it came back as good as new the only change being that some parts of my anti-virus program had come uninstalled (intrusion protection and brower protection), adding I think to the likelihood that the crash was caused by a virus.

What virus, I have no idea, but whatever it was it eluded both firewall and anti-virus program (Norton) with fully updated defininitions. I had done a full system scan just hours before ther crash which found nothing. ??

Update:

Thanks to extensive help by PM from other TV members I was able to burn a CD rescue disk and then get in, do a systems restore and get my files (4 AM on the night in question!!)

After the system restore it came back as good as new the only change being that some parts of my anti-virus program had come uninstalled (intrusion protection and brower protection), adding I think to the likelihood that the crash was caused by a virus.

What virus, I have no idea, but whatever it was it eluded both firewall and anti-virus program (Norton) with fully updated defininitions. I had done a full system scan just hours before ther crash which found nothing. ??

Maybe a virus, or maybe just the anti-virus software itself. Sometimes a program isn't compatible w/ your system. Norton is bloated and notorious for taking over a system. It's more likely to cause a problem.

I suggest you uninstall what's left of Norton and install some other antivir. Among the free offerings these days I like Avast! because it's not only good but relatively unintrusive.