Where Can I Get Affordable Champagne In Bkk?

EvilDrSomkid

Hi All foodies,

Does anybody know where in Bangkok I could buy some reasonably priced, decent Champagne?

Looking to buy about 8 to 10 bottles without having to pay an arm and a leg. Need it for my wedding party in September.

What would be a good price indication?

Shop around the supermarkets, most of what I've seen here is on the expensive side but it depends on what you consider reasonable.

There's a lot of non-French sparkling wines around that are quite drinkable at a lower price.

Hi All foodies,

Does anybody know where in Bangkok I could buy some reasonably priced, decent Champagne?

Looking to buy about 8 to 10 bottles without having to pay an arm and a leg. Need it for my wedding party in September.

What would be a good price indication?

Shop around the supermarkets, most of what I've seen here is on the expensive side but it depends on what you consider reasonable.

There's a lot of non-French sparkling wines around that are quite drinkable at a lower price.

OK, thanks. I guess I will check at Villa when I am back in town.

Try Lotus Tesco.I , too, have a wedding to buy for.The Tesco near me has quite a good range of "sparkling wine" from many different countries. I think we will go with some Australian Queen Adelaide (for the overseas visitors) and some Italian Cinzano which the Thais seem to like as it is on the sweet side.Both are under 500 Baht per bottle. I did once find some Heinkel Trocken at Big C and bought all 6 bottles on the shelf.They must have some reverse thinking thing that says if it sells so quick we'd better not stock it again.After a couple of enquiries as to when the next lot was due in, I gave up.

Try Lotus Tesco.I , too, have a wedding to buy for.The Tesco near me has quite a good range of "sparkling wine" from many different countries. I think we will go with some Australian Queen Adelaide (for the overseas visitors) and some Italian Cinzano which the Thais seem to like as it is on the sweet side.Both are under 500 Baht per bottle. I did once find some Heinkel Trocken at Big C and bought all 6 bottles on the shelf.They must have some reverse thinking thing that says if it sells so quick we'd better not stock it again.After a couple of enquiries as to when the next lot was due in, I gave up.

It might prove fruitful if you ask at a couple of restaurants... especially if you are a regular at anyone place and are known....

A lot of restaurants owners obtain their wine stocks duty free from their own contacts, some maybe helpful and could order you a crate....

First perhaps to avoid confusion, do you mean "Champagne", i.e. sparkling wine from Northern France, the region of Champagne?

- if yes, there is no cheap Champagne available in Thailand due to heavy excise and taxes. A simple Veuve Cliquot, which in Europe is sold for about Euros 25, costs here around THB 4200. It's crazy, I know. A less expensive, but still not cheap Champagne sold in BKK is "Delamotte". Tastes a bit strange (IMO) but costs only about THB 2000

- so perhaps forget about real Champagne and try sparkling wines from other countries, like Italy (Prosecco) or Spain. Personally, I don't like the Spanish Freixenet, but again, that's my taste. I prefer a good Prosecco, which will cost anything between THB 400 and 800.

A good place would be (in Bangkok) places like Food Store in 7th Floor in Central World, or in Central Chidlom. As for me, I often buy wine from the restaurants like L'Opera. They have a fantastic selection, even this Italian red sparkling wine "Lambrusco". Usually you find only the sweet stuff, but L'Opera has the dry one. I love it.

Thanks for the tips dominique. However, I do not like Prosecco nor Lambrusco.

I will not need many bottles, so if I can get Henckel Trocken that would be good. 4200 per bottle is certainly steep.

But I am not kee-keeniow on my wedding day. :o

Edited by EvilDrSomkid