Atm Debited My Account But Gave Me No Cash!

SARAHJ101

I'm looking for some help here. Today around 4:45pm I went to the ATM in the small shopping centre in Ekamai (the one with the mcdonalds and KFC on the ground floor of it). I went to withdraw 5,000 baht. A message came up saying that I couldnt withdraw that much per day, or something to that effect. It gave me my card back. I waited to make sure it definitely wasnt going to give me money before putting the card back in and asking for 1,500 baht as I thought because my bank card was from the UK it was restricting how much I took out. I got the 1,500 baht and was on my way. I have just logged onto my internet banking and have been debited for both the 5,000baht and the 1,500 baht!!!! Does anyone know who I contact regarding this in the first instance? The ATM was a standalone machine. My card is a bank account from the UK. Any help much appreciated.

Yeah me too.... exactly what happened to me and the next morning the money was back in my account.

I do believe that if it doesnt happen like that, that you are suppose to contact your bank, but Im not exactly sure if thats right. Hopefully it will be back in your account 2moz.

I'm looking for some help here. Today around 4:45pm I went to the ATM in the small shopping centre in Ekamai (the one with the mcdonalds and KFC on the ground floor of it). I went to withdraw 5,000 baht. A message came up saying that I couldnt withdraw that much per day, or something to that effect. It gave me my card back. I waited to make sure it definitely wasnt going to give me money before putting the card back in and asking for 1,500 baht as I thought because my bank card was from the UK it was restricting how much I took out. I got the 1,500 baht and was on my way. I have just logged onto my internet banking and have been debited for both the 5,000baht and the 1,500 baht!!!! Does anyone know who I contact regarding this in the first instance? The ATM was a standalone machine. My card is a bank account from the UK. Any help much appreciated.

:D It happened to me using UK bank card to withdraw Baht15k in cashpoint at Kasikorn bank.

Machine made noise but no money came out.

As it was a BH went to bank on Tuesday and they checked machine, OK no money missing, so your UK bank account will not be debited.

Checked my account and it had been debited £243, got in touch with Kasikorn head office, they confirmed that I had not had money from ATM and I phoned my UK bank, who insisted I had received the money from ATM. :o

Bunch of idiots in Nat West bank.

It took a year and loads of International phone calls to get Nat West to admit they were wrong.

I also threatened them with small claims court to get back expenses, they coughed up £150 as a "goodwill payment"

:D

I had the same happen at TMB at Swampy on the way out so I could not check Nationwide Internet banking. By the time I got to the UK only one transaction appeared.

I hope the same applies to you. If you are checking the same day you are only seeing 'notional' values - it is only the next day that the 'actual' value of the transaction appears.

You could wait one day and see what happens - you are no worse off. If you desperately want it sorted today then you are going to have to take the chance that whoever you speak to can 'see' the true transaction pipeline and understand what has happened.

I would wait until tomorrow and check Internet banking again. Good luck, I shall be interested to hear how it turns out, My guess is that you will be OK and the first 5,000 is a 'ghost' transaction.

Thanks all for your replies, i'll hang fire and check the account again tomorrow. Hopefully i'll be lucky and the amount will be credited again as I really dont relish the idea of having to go to bank and then go through the whole process of proving I didn't get it! It sounds like its quite a frequent thing over here so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again

you have to contact your bank. giver transaction number, place, location, pic (if any) etc.

Something similar happened to me in Rio and worst it ate my card, displayed some erors on screen. Called my credit union, long distance and reported card lost/stolen. And because it was also a Visa, I had bttter protection than just plain ATM. I took pic of errors on ATM with my cell phone also, just in case. But I didn't need the pic.

sometimes the reversal transaction for the 5000 takes a few days to appear on your internet banking transaction list. If nothing has been reversed after a week, i'd contact the bank.

Go to the bank the ATM machine belongs to,and make a copy of your bank statement it happens to me with the bangkok bank and I got my money back in 2 weeks.Don't phone them go in person.

Yesterday I wanted two thousand bath from my Thai account and the machine said Take your money but no money came out but he give me my card back.So I phoned the number what was on the machine and somebody who spoke perfect english helped me and he asked a lot of questions but he booked my money back within 10 minutes.later I checked in the bank and the money was there.Good luck.

Go to the bank the ATM machine belongs to,and make a copy of your bank statement it happens to me with the bangkok bank and I got my money back in 2 weeks.Don't phone them go in person.

Yesterday I wanted two thousand bath from my Thai account and the machine said Take your money but no money came out but he give me my card back.So I phoned the number what was on the machine and somebody who spoke perfect english helped me and he asked a lot of questions but he booked my money back within 10 minutes.later I checked in the bank and the money was there.Good luck.

TJAN, its BAHT! How did you know he spoke PERFECT english, or was it just that case that his english was good? You are always one quick to jump on others, so I thought I would just clarify these couple of things.

• 3 weeks later...

the bank will refund you, all banks weigh the cash that it delivers at atm.. different amounts weigh different amounts.. wont be a problem.....

the bank will refund you, all banks weigh the cash that it delivers at atm.. different amounts weigh different amounts.. wont be a problem.....

You're talking about a different issue than the OP. In the OP's case, it did not dispense the money because it was over the limit for the day. When this happens it reserves the amount, but then reverses the charge in a couple days.

Yeah me too.... exactly what happened to me and the next morning the money was back in my account.

I do believe that if it doesnt happen like that, that you are suppose to contact your bank, but Im not exactly sure if thats right. Hopefully it will be back in your account 2moz.

same for me, i got all bent out of shape but it never showed up as a withdrawl