Security Wall Spikes

timekeeper

I think you'd be wasting your money, determined burglars just hang a piece of carpet or a doormat over the spikes and walk over.

Couldn't agree more, however, an opportunist Yabba-head when faced with the choice of a wall with or without spikes will usually go for the easy option. Value for money then comes into the equation.

I'm a supporter of preventive deterrents as well, makes the other properties look more attractive to break into.

Most of the metal shops making up gates can do them, no idea on price though...

Add to that motion detectors hooked up to powerful 500 Watt halogen spots (cheap solution, but not suited to power a noisy siren as to easy to get false alarms), or professional grade beams hooked up an alarm system with noisy siren and you're probably looking at keeping out 99.5% of the potential burglars here in Thailand.

A Thai friend said they make great hand holds to lever your self up and over the wall, not sure how he knew that though.

I like the idea of an electric wire along the top of the wall though, the cow transformers are cheap and will do 2 or three rai. Three rows of those above a wall will make people think twice about climbing over it and has to be cheaper than spikes.

Edited by Rimmer

• 3 weeks later...

Save all your Singha beer bottles for a few days, weeks or months (depending on how long your wall is)

Spend a morning breaking them into nice, sharp points with the round bottom remaining intact

Cement them into the top of your wall (pointy-sides up)

It won't deter shit, but will give you a warm & fuzzy, false sense of security and an excuse to drink and get a bit of exercise at the same time

NOTE: Don't use Heineken bottles...that will only attract a higher class of khamoi :o

Edited by kbvicar