Firefox Browser

zorro1

Not so happy with it - I like the program but it uses a lot of the CPU - slowing down other activities.

Loading a web page normally pushes the CPU to 35-40%

Thai Visa pages push me up to 100% and locks the computer for a few seconds. Makes a problem when listening to music.

Wish I could find the solution.

Anyone else use it? Just installed it yesterday ,30 mins up and running at TWICE the speed! Don't ask me why, Im in BKK and with tot. Also much easier to use. This is brilliant :o

Used firefox for years and is much better than explorer.

If you like the addons use firefox.

If you like the apple way of doing things try safari.

Or if you prefer a simple, clean interface try google chrome.

Not so happy with it - I like the program but it uses a lot of the CPU - slowing down other activities.

Loading a web page normally pushes the CPU to 35-40%

Thai Visa pages push me up to 100% and locks the computer for a few seconds. Makes a problem when listening to music.

Wish I could find the solution.

You should mention which FF version do you use.

Any website containing Javascript will cause in very high CPU usage. 30-45% is not unusual high. You can check that with different browsers. The lowest CPU usage I got so far was with Opera. Chrome sometimes reports 100%

Edited by webfact

I access the internet via client servers in remote locations, mostly via vsat systems where speed is a big issue. Here's my take on the 4 browsers I use regularly, in order of preference.

Chrome: fastest of the lot; has some compatibility issues with some secure sites but getting better all the time. I like the clean interface.

Firefox. Was #1 till I had a bad upgrade that rendered it useless. That was also when I found out that it's "uninstaller" is useless and to really remove it, there's a fair bit of registry cleaning required. I spent a LOT of time on the Mozilla forums where there was a lot of people with the same problem but no word of a fix. Then I installed it in a new directory (not the recommended default) and voila! it worked again. By that time, I was a Chrome convert.

Opera: Can be inconsistent but has the best downloader for large files when baud rates drop out and the other browsers terminate the download early leaving you with either a corrupt file or bugger all. Opera suspends the download and allows you to restart without going back to 0%.

IE7: Sloooooooooow. Only use it to access Bualuang banking to make sure that wifey isn't mishandling the retirement account.

Well I'm totally confused. How is it possible to have double the speed through Firefox?. Explorer was super slow even though I have top of the range Toshiba regularly scanned with avg and Ad-aware spy ware plus the usual defrag etc. I day trade on the markets so on line 6 hours a day so Im gobsmacked at the difference. This fire fox is exactly twice as fast. Maybe someone can suggest why? or maybe Im just lucky, here is the link

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/

Are you sure you don't have some malware attached to your IE. Most AV scans do not pick up real malware threats and the most tell tale sign is a decrease in performance. Most good malware has ways to disable AV. There was a serious bug in IE recently, and I am quite surprised to even see people here talking about still using IE. Firefox is not immune, but generally the more obscure the target, the less likely you will get targeted. Never enter your financial info into IE. At least use Opera or Firefox.

Are you sure you don't have some malware attached to your IE. Most AV scans do not pick up real malware threats and the most tell tale sign is a decrease in performance. Most good malware has ways to disable AV. There was a serious bug in IE recently, and I am quite surprised to even see people here talking about still using IE. Firefox is not immune, but generally the more obscure the target, the less likely you will get targeted. Never enter your financial info into IE. At least use Opera or Firefox.
Never enter your financial info into IE

I am eager to learn how to do that with an online banking web site i.e. Bangkok Bank, which can only be accessed via IE and no other browser? Yes I know there's an IE add-on available for Firefox but BBanks system will detect it and not let you log-in, at least with my computers

Edited by webfact

If you have Firefox downlaod the 'Morning Coffee' add-on. Probably the best thing since sliced bread. And in itself a reason to use FF. Been using it for 2-3 years or so, no problems at all.

Thanks for that its brilliant. I liked the way firefox asks you if you want to save all tabs for next restart, morning Coffee is even better, start Hit the the start button and your fav pages already open.

I use FFv3. It constantly gobbles up > 600mb and slows things down. Then time to close down and restart. Too many addons to go back to IE although I did like using Opera. (might give it another look).

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/177587

i tried it, and I must say it does seem faster

also, love the extension fireshot https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5648

It takes a quick snapshot of the webpage from the browser and then you can edit the pic, with text, or drawings.

IE tab is great for those sites that require internet explorer https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

I generally use the Firefox browser, but for certain websites I still have to use IE and for others Google Chrome seems to work better for me.

If you are having out of space problems locking up your computer due to a small amount of available space on your C partition of your hard drive then search the computer section of TV for solutions for that. The best thing for me was to use Ccleaner a freeware product to clean up most junk and also to run my computer, properties, disk clean up, more options, and click on clean up for system restore points to get rid of the giga bytes of wasted space in old restore points but only do that once in a while since you need a couple of restore points. I also get rid of old versions of Java because they were not automatically deleted and install new versions in my D partition. If you get out of memory messages with Java charts- there is a setting for that.

Edited by ronz28

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please help me with a little FF3 advice?

I was avoiding downloading it, and up till now was using FF2. But I must have accidentally clicked on the DL button, so I am now using FF3. (I didn't want to hassle with the changeover just yet, but oh well.)

Problem: the tabs are now all on a dark background with some kind of graphic behind it, which makes it very difficult to read the page titles on the tabs.

I am also using "Colorful Tabs" extension, the colors and tabs are now transparent so this background shows through.

Is there anyway to get rid of the dark background graphic and get my good old regular tabs back? ? ?

Thanks! !

OK never mind, figured it out.

Went to Tools --> Add-ons --> Colorful Tabs

Unclicked "Enable Background" thingy.

Done!

:o

Yeah, it made them too hard to see.

There was a URL thing in the blank space, it said chrome clrtabs or something, dunno how that got in there. Of course I had to update Colorful Tabs when I got the FF3, for compatibility, guess it is the default in the new version.

J

Edited by zzdocxx

Can someone please help me with a little FF3 advice?

I was avoiding downloading it, and up till now was using FF2. But I must have accidentally clicked on the DL button, so I am now using FF3. (I didn't want to hassle with the changeover just yet, but oh well.)

Problem: the tabs are now all on a dark background with some kind of graphic behind it, which makes it very difficult to read the page titles on the tabs.

I am also using "Colorful Tabs" extension, the colors and tabs are now transparent so this background shows through.

Is there anyway to get rid of the dark background graphic and get my good old regular tabs back? ? ?

Thanks! !

OK never mind, figured it out.

Went to Tools --> Add-ons --> Colorful Tabs

Unclicked "Enable Background" thingy.

Done!

:o

Yeah, it made them too hard to see.

There was a URL thing in the blank space, it said chrome clrtabs or something, dunno how that got in there. Of course I had to update Colorful Tabs when I got the FF3, for compatibility, guess it is the default in the new version.

J

its not entirely the answer to your question but if you want a revert to your previous version you can either try a system restore or download any of the old/new FF versions here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/3517/