Quick Marriage. Worth Hiring An Agent?

As the title states. I am working on a very tight time scale and will be wanting to get married as quickly as possible in order to gain even one more day on the Visa application time available.

I am only in Thailand for 3 weeks ( Can' get longer off work ) and ideally would like ( Tall order i know) to be able to bring my new Wife back with me on my return to the UK.

We have decided to go for the Legal marriage before the application is put in and as i will be arriving on a saturday we would hope to be able to get everything completed by Tuesday and the Visa Application put in by Wednesday at the latest.

This will still only leave about 11 working days before i return home but i am aware there is a slim hope; if all is in order and easy for the embassy staff to work with; it 'might' go through in that time.

On the other hand it might take 3 months to get a reply.

I have heard you can hire an agent outside the Ministry of foreign affairs who can expedite the Marriage process within at times 24 hours. Is this the case and is it worthwhile going down this route? Are the fees charged reasonable or frighteningly high?

If anyone has experience of doing this recently i would be grateful.

I can do it myself but not knowing bangkok i would be slower than i would like. If i can shave even 1 day off the time needed it would be worth a fair bit to me.

Here are the steps. You don't need an agent.

1. Get affirmation from embassy it takes at least 24 hours. See this UK embassy webpage. http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...gister-marriage

2. Take affirmation to a translator. From my own personal experience it will be quiker and easier to have the translator handle the the certification at the MFA. What they charge won't be much more than taxi fare to the MFA twice.

List of reccomended translators from US embassy (I have used #5) http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/tra...otographers.pdf

3. Go to the Amphoe (district office) and register your marriage. Info here: http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/marry.htm

4. Take marriage certificate and any other documents to translator that require translation for visa application.

5. Apply for visa.

Provided all the documentation is in order the visa application should take no more than 10 working days. If the documents do not show that, on the balance of probabilities, the visa criteria are met then she will require an interview and the wait for this can be as long as three months. So prepare properly and thoroughly.

Here are the steps. You don't need an agent.

1. Get affirmation from embassy it takes at least 24 hours. See this UK embassy webpage. http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...gister-marriage

2. Take affirmation to a translator. From my own personal experience it will be quiker and easier to have the translator handle the the certification at the MFA. What they charge won't be much more than taxi fare to the MFA twice.

List of reccomended translators from US embassy (I have used #5) http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/tra...otographers.pdf

3. Go to the Amphoe (district office) and register your marriage. Info here: http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/marry.htm

4. Take marriage certificate and any other documents to translator that require translation for visa application.

5. Apply for visa.

Thanks ... some very useful info.

DIY it takes 2 days maximum.

Much appreciated for the advice.

Provided all the documentation is in order the visa application should take no more than 10 working days. If the documents do not show that, on the balance of probabilities, the visa criteria are met then she will require an interview and the wait for this can be as long as three months. So prepare properly and thoroughly.

I am part way through preparing a folder for the Visa application with every type of evidence i can think of in relatively large Quantity. If anything i am a bit scared of providing too much info and annoying the officer looking at the case.

We are truly hoping the 10 day period will be the case as there will barely be 12 working days left before i have to fly back and would much rather have her with me. She too would be very nervous about flying the full distance solo as has only been on internal flights before now.

Again guys ... Thanks for the information .... This forum is excellent for gaining useful help. :o

In my experience the procedure to get the visa to the UK is has follows,

Go to the amphur office to register the marriage.You will need 2 thai witnesses.

Take the amphur papers to be stamped at the ministry of thailand.

Following this the papers will then have to be stamped at the UK embassy allowing the marriage to be legal in the UK.

Your g/f will need to have a medical for TB.I suggest you get her to go for the examination previous to you going to LOS.

Has you have no experience with the documents you will need for a visa i suggest you should involve a visa agency.

Documents you will need to take with you from the UK,

6 months bank statements (original docs)

Divorce certificate if applicable?

Proof of earnings (wage slips) or statement of accounts if self-employed.

Proof of home ownership (council tax bill)

Hope this helps,goodluck.

Get her TB test first ,,,,remember there are only 2 hospitals in BKK allowed to do this ,,,,,,,,and in reality she could well be facing a week of testing everyday ,, lets hope for your sake she is one of the lucky ones.

Just a thought ,you dont say how long your relationship has been going,,,,,, you will need at least 6 months of GOOD evidence of communication.

Also they will be looking to see if you have been financially supporting her during this period..

Good luck mate to you both ,your gonna need it

Go to the amphur office to register the marriage.You will need 2 thai witnesses.

Following this the papers will then have to be stamped at the UK embassy allowing the marriage to be legal in the UK.

Not quite right.

Go to embassy to complete affirmation of freedom to marry and have it notarised.

Have it translated into Thai and translation stamped by the MFA.

Take this to an ampur to register the marriage. As the marriage is legal in Thailand it will also be legal in the UK. There is no need to have the marriage certificate stamped at the embassy nor to register the marriage at the embassy; in fact the embassy wont do either of these things! See Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand.

Has you have no experience with the documents you will need for a visa i suggest you should involve a visa agency.

See here for a list of the basic documentary requirements, although you should provide any other documents you think may be helpful to the ECO. It is better to provide something they don't need than not provide something they do!

If you do need further advice, ask here. If you do decide you need professional help, see an adviser in the UK who is properly regulated and OISC registered.

Whatever you do, do not seek advice from an adviser in Thailand (unless they also have a UK office and are OISC registered). Most so-called visa agents in Thailand are mere form fillers who charge exorbitant fees for their 'advice.' Even worse some are con artists, pure and simple. This applies particularly to certain agencies run or fronted by Brits.

Nigelandjan says

Get her TB test.....and in reality she could well be facing a week of testing everyday

As the certificates are valid for 6 months, she could get this done before you arrive. Unless a problem shows up on her x-ray she wont need a week of testing. For where to go, see here.

Also they will be looking to see if you have been financially supporting her during this period..

No they wont. Although if you have you should say so and provide proof.

Not quite right.

Go to embassy to complete affirmation of freedom to marry and have it notarised.

Have it translated into Thai and translation stamped by the MFA.

Take this to an ampur to register the marriage. As the marriage is legal in Thailand it will also be legal in the UK. There is no need to have the marriage certificate stamped at the embassy nor to register the marriage at the embassy; in fact the embassy wont do either of these things! See Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand.

See here for a list of the basic documentary requirements, although you should provide any other documents you think may be helpful to the ECO. It is better to provide something they don't need than not provide something they do!

If you do need further advice, ask here. If you do decide you need professional help, see an adviser in the UK who is properly regulated and OISC registered.

Whatever you do, do not seek advice from an adviser in Thailand (unless they also have a UK office and are OISC registered). Most so-called visa agents in Thailand are mere form fillers who charge exorbitant fees for their 'advice.' Even worse some are con artists, pure and simple. This applies particularly to certain agencies run or fronted by Brits.

Nigelandjan says

Get her TB test.....and in reality she could well be facing a week of testing everyday

As the certificates are valid for 6 months, she could get this done before you arrive. Unless a problem shows up on her x-ray she wont need a week of testing. For where to go, see here.

No they wont. Although if you have you should say so and provide proof.

Things must have changed in the last few years? Sorry, forget my post I must have gone through the procedure all wrong.49 seems to have all the answers.

Sorry folks i think you have the wrong idea of what i am asking about

I am more or less aware of the Visa process and all that is required. My question was about the actual Marriage at the Amphur and the speed at which it can be done.

I am following the template that Roblpl has kindly provided on http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Rob-s-Guide-...cat-t81148.html as my basic Visa preparation, although it requires a certain amount of alteration to fit my personal circumstances.

As far as the question itself was about, i am given to understand now that i need to do the following

Acquire signature and official stamp on pre prepared Affirmation to marry from British Embassy. ( Takes 24 hours [typical for British red tape])

Have Affirmation translated at an independant translation service and then have the affirmation authenticated and the translation certified by the Legalization and Naturalization Division, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

From other peoples advice the best travel route is as follows

The best and quickest way is to use the skytrain (BTS). The nearest station is situated opposite the British Embassy , Phloen Chit station and it cost 40 bht per person to Mo Chit ( 16 mins).

From there take exit 3 or 4 and get on a taxi to the Ministry. If there is no traffic, it will take about half an hour. Cost: less than 100 BHT. If you decide to take a taxi, this can be a couple of hours depending on traffic and can cost 200-400 BHT.

Go up to the 2nd floor.

Remember to get a ticket from the ticketing machine and at the same time, a form from the enquiry desk. You will need the express service to get the affirmation legalised in a day. Wait your number, and then present the translated version, the British Embassy Affirmation , a copy of your passport and the filled form from the enquiry desk. Payment: 800 Baht.

Take a seat and wait for your receipt ( you need this to pick up your document later). If you manage this before 12 noon, go for lunch in the canteen. The staff goes for lunch between 12 noon and 1 pm. They will ask you to return at 2pm for collection.

If you arrive very early in the morning, it is very likely you will get it before lunch. If you need further legalisation of any documents, it has to be done here. Thus organise this and do it all in one trip. Can be legalised within 2 hours if arriving early. Otherwise it can be 3 hours.

I am aware the prices have probably changed :o

Then the Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

recommended one is

Bangrak District

(opposite Bangrak police station)

5 Naret Road

Si Praya Sub-district, Bangrak District

Bangkok 10500

Tel: 02 236 1399

supposedly this is a Farang/Thai couple friendly service.

Each party will then be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

This then needs to be translated once again into English and added to the evidence for the Visa application. ( Note : i am not sure if this translation has to be authenticated and if so, by whom )

As for the TB certificate she has already obtained one a month ago so still has 5 months left on it.

Does that kind of make sense? Anyone see any holes in the itinerary?

I would like to add that any and all help is greatly appreciated as it is helping me to prepare and think.

Edited by Merangue

Hi Merangue,

Have just gone through this process for marriage in Thailand. The following is my application schedule took 2 days....

When taking taxis to Embassies, Agencies and Amphurs, Ensure the driver knows where he is going as this will save untold problems later on, especialy when they drop you on the side of the road and tell you it is that way. (He wasnt sure, you will be lost)

DAY 1

1. Travel to British embassy opens at 08:30. Both go through security check, leaving cameras and mobiles (Turn OFF) with security (Given a numbered Token). You have to fill in the visitor book (Between the inner and outer gates) with your name and address in Thailand (I just used Bangkok as address).

2. Go to area for applications, select from the computer terminal (to the left as you enter) the service you require, you will be issued a ticket. Sit and wait for your number to be announced on electronic board. (Applications 2 Digit(Ahead), collections 3 Digit(To Right))

3. Approach the window indicated and submit your Affirmation to Marry. (Copy available from h**p://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/3085733/affirmation-form) All details must be taken from your passport especially place of birth (Bath Avon, not Bristol as I had put). Also give passport and Divorce certificate if applicable. The clerk will check all your documentation take copies and charge you the relevant fee. I was then told it would be certified and collection would be available the next day after 09:00Hrs. You will be given a receipt for this collection.

4. When leaving collect your phones cameras from the security window with the numbered token from before.

5. Turn Right out of the gates and cross the road, travel to the corner, turn left. Cross over the bridge and continue up the road for approx 100Yards, their are a number of agencies in the next Soi that can perform translations and process your affirmation at the Thai Embassy.

6. We opted to have the agency collect the affirmation and translate, then send to the Thai embassy and return to them by 14:00Hrs the next day. This cost 2500฿ (If you only want Translation 250฿ about 30 Minutes) You have to sign some paperwork for them to collect your affirmation and a copy of your passport page signed. You will be issued a reciept.

DAY 2

7. Traveled back to the agency arrived at about 13:30Hrs to be ready to collect translated and stamped affirmation. As per Thai time schedules the affirmation was not delivered by their courier at 14:00Hrs and we waited until 15:20Hrs for it to arrive.

8. Take Taxi ride to Amphur for marriage. Amphurs Close at 16:00Hrs. Arrived outside at 15:55Hrs panicking we were too late. But the staff are really nice and friendly. So processed our application takes about 30 Minutes.

AT AMPHUR

When at the Amphur as a Foreigner you will require a Translator for you to marry as your wife to be is not allowed to do this on your behalf (As I was told). You will also require 2 witnesses. I was very lucky as my wifes Aunty works for one of the Embassy's and asked a friend of hers to be my Translator, my wifes Aunty and Sister were our witnesses.

Your Translator will read the Amphur form to you filling your answers in Thai on your behalf, they will then fill in the relevant section to say they have translated the form for you and you understand everything explained to you. Your witnesses will then fill in their section.

Your wife to be has her own form to fill in.

The clerk will need photocopies of all persons ID cards, bio page in passport your divorce certificates if applicable and you affirmation to marry as well as originals and the House Registration Certificate/Book for your wife to be. They are able to copy for you but just saves time. A clerk then places the information on their computer and double and triple check all details. They will then print a form for you and your wife to sign then check and double check again.

The Director will then check the clerk has done everything correctly, had a spelling mistake in my application, so they had to change retype and sign again. He will then sign and stamp all relavent paperwork to make legal.

You will be issued with 2 certificates 1 each for marrage if you require a guarantee (Similar to British marrage certificate) this is an extra 30฿ (2 Copies)

Congratulations you are now married.

Edited by ubonjoe
Deleted marriage certificate with personal information. Take out names before posting ubonjoe

Thanks for that. I am taking a copy of it and will keep it on my hard drive for an idiots guide on what to do. If anyone needs an idiots guide it is me.

Is it definitely the case i need a translator for the ceremony then? Anyone know where to hire one and how much?

Whilst she will have friends and family with her, they will not have enough English ability to operate as a translator and my friends whilst being ok in Thai, do not qualify either.

Is it definitely the case i need a translator for the ceremony then? Anyone know where to hire one and how much?

For a small extra fee (I can't remember how much I'm afraid, but it wasn't much) the guy from the agency who translated my AFM came to the Ampur with us. Although he didn't translate much except "Sign here, wait over there, your married now!" He and a member of the Ampur staff acted as witnesses.

Things must have changed in the last few years? Sorry, forget my post I must have gone through the procedure all wrong.49 seems to have all the answers.

Don't take it personal spud, there is not a single person on here in recent history, that has not given incorrect, insufficient or out of date advice, which is where the global ideas and current processes of other posters, iron out any short comings.

Good Luck

Moss

As far as getting through the marriage process as quickly as possible goes, here is my experience.

We used an agent and he did all the paperwork. All wedid was show up. When we went to the marriage place the waiting hall was jam packed with people. However part of the fee must have involve greasing somebody's palm as we went straight to the front of the queue. The people there supplied the two witnesses, and we were married and out of the place in half an hour. The agent also gave us English translations of everything that we needed for the visa application.

I'd use an agent. My wife just told me he charged 8000 baht, and that was two years ago.

Good luck.

As the title states. I am working on a very tight time scale and will be wanting to get married as quickly as possible in order to gain even one more day on the Visa application time available.

I am only in Thailand for 3 weeks ( Can' get longer off work ) and ideally would like ( Tall order i know) to be able to bring my new Wife back with me on my return to the UK.

We have decided to go for the Legal marriage before the application is put in and as i will be arriving on a saturday we would hope to be able to get everything completed by Tuesday and the Visa Application put in by Wednesday at the latest.

This will still only leave about 11 working days before i return home but i am aware there is a slim hope; if all is in order and easy for the embassy staff to work with; it 'might' go through in that time.

On the other hand it might take 3 months to get a reply.

I have heard you can hire an agent outside the Ministry of foreign affairs who can expedite the Marriage process within at times 24 hours. Is this the case and is it worthwhile going down this route? Are the fees charged reasonable or frighteningly high?

If anyone has experience of doing this recently i would be grateful.

I can do it myself but not knowing bangkok i would be slower than i would like. If i can shave even 1 day off the time needed it would be worth a fair bit to me.

Some good advice here on this page.

I am a UK citizen, and will be going through this all in the next few months.

Is it a big pain in the a$$ to get my partners bank accounts ( we have 3 joint ones ) passport , tabian baan etc... changed into her new surname? Is her passport with her old surname obsolete as soon as we marry?

cheers

Choppy

For those of you who decide to use an agent, make sure you are getting your services from a serious agent, and not from one of those falangs who operate from out of their own house in a backyard somewhere. The agents who have the necessary competence and background has made this into a serious business and operate from an office, usually with several employees.

Personally, I lost my 35000 THB plus the money I prepaid for the travel insurance (approx. 9000 THB altogether) to "Mr.Roy and Mrs.Kwan's Visa Service" operating in the Tong Law area, when they failed to get the visa application right and then "forgot" to pay the money back for our unused travel insurance. Stay away from these guys!

Is registering a marriage at an amphur just like applying for an ID card or a tabian baan i.e. queue up and submit documentation; be told documentation is not complete; go back another day with complete documentation? I assume this to be the case, as it is purely a legal process in Thailand, regarded by many as optional and the serious business for them that means they are really married is the ceremony with monks. Is an appointment required at the amphur?

Edited by Arkady

As far as getting through the marriage process as quickly as possible goes, here is my experience.

We used an agent and he did all the paperwork. All wedid was show up. When we went to the marriage place the waiting hall was jam packed with people. However part of the fee must have involve greasing somebody's palm as we went straight to the front of the queue. The people there supplied the two witnesses, and we were married and out of the place in half an hour. The agent also gave us English translations of everything that we needed for the visa application.

I'd use an agent. My wife just told me he charged 8000 baht, and that was two years ago.

Good luck.

This is a similiar experience to my own, I got married 7 years ago, so I'm aware that everything could have changed, but we done the whole thing in a day. I paid an agent, who done everything for us. I think it cost about 10,000THB, but no hassle on our part. I'm sure it can be done cheaper. But, my experience was entirely painless. I used one of the visa companies at the other side of the bridge at the bottom of Wireless road.

its really easy if you know where to go and what to do

1) go to emabassy with yours and hers pappers and aplied for a affidavid (take 24 hours)

2) get the affidavid translated to thai language

3) with these translated affidavid go to forieng affairs and submit papper there (will take 1 day, pick up next day)

4) go to amphoe to get married this will take a hour (i recommend Lak Si amphoe) this amphoe is right accros the street 1 km on your left hand side this way you can bring papper direkt back to forien afairs

5) go to forien affairs to get pappers legelised

6) go to translater to get all pappers translated to your language

7) go back to your embassy or consulate and submit them (go can also direktly apply for her visa)

8) gongatualations you are now a married man :o

it take only 4 days to complete all when i get married

international law says she is not obbligated to take your surname and she can take it when you register her back in the uk (better to keep her surname this way less papperwork and just change it later on)

my wife still uses her thai passport when going to thailand for the rest she uses a european one

trust me on this one :o

Is it a big pain in the a$$ to get my partners bank accounts ( we have 3 joint ones ) passport , tabian baan etc... changed into her new surname? Is her passport with her old surname obsolete as soon as we marry?

cheers

Choppy

international law says she is not obbligated to take your surname and she can take it when you register her back in the uk (better to keep her surname this way less papperwork and just change it later on)

my wife still uses her thai passport when going to thailand for the rest she uses a european one

trust me on this one :o

cheers

Choppy

Many thanks - I wasn't aware of that.

choppy

cheers

Choppy

why are you trying to change name in all documents, she can continue using her maiden name, her passport is still valid and she can get all visas stamped in this, ILR included don't make yourself work for no reason!!

its really easy if you know where to go and what to do

1) go to emabassy with yours and hers pappers and aplied for a affidavid (take 24 hours)

2) get the affidavid translated to thai language

3) with these translated affidavid go to forieng affairs and submit papper there (will take 1 day, pick up next day)

4) go to amphoe to get married this will take a hour (i recommend Lak Si amphoe) this amphoe is right accros the street 1 km on your left hand side this way you can bring papper direkt back to forien afairs

5) go to forien affairs to get pappers legelised

6) go to translater to get all pappers translated to your language

7) go back to your embassy or consulate and submit them (go can also direktly apply for her visa)

8) gongatualations you are now a married man :o

it take only 4 days to complete all when i get married

Point 7 no need to go to embassy, thai marriage certificates are accepted by uk imigration

Hi,

Ive just done it,

1. go to your embassy, fill in statuary declaration form, pay money, mine was signed by embassy staff on the spot.

2. go to MFA Laksii, its a long way down the road on the left.

3.Do Not allow translation shysters to fool you, everything is done on the 3rd floor, there is copying done on the 2nd floor if wanted. there was about 200 waiting when I went last week, I was told to sit and wait, about 50 minutes later the papers were ready, the papers I was given by the Nz Embassy stated that a ceremony was not required, just the paperwork from an Ampour office.

I was shafted into thinking the agent was cosha, but they are not, everything they did was wrong, wasting my time and money, there office is in a car workshop about 1 km further down the road.

Dont be fooled!

Kiwijor.

Thanks for that. I am taking a copy of it and will keep it on my hard drive for an idiots guide on what to do. If anyone needs an idiots guide it is me.

Whilst she will have friends and family with her, they will not have enough English ability to operate as a translator and my friends whilst being ok in Thai, do not qualify either.

When I got married in Bang Sue Bankok in 2007 we did not have a translator nor did we have take a witness they used someone there very easy very simple and so fast! Guess it depends where you go.