Dust Problems Surge In North

george

Just returned from a drive trip....CM-Maesai-Chiang Saen-Chiang Khong-Phayao-CM and we cut it short because of the poor visibility the whole way blocking the grandeur of the river and mountain vistas. Not only depressing, but tiring and painful to the eyes. Fires all along the way and the fine particle dust from road construction, especially in the CM valley. Seemed a little less pollution on the high mountain passes, but never got above it.

What's really depressing is that we still have several months to go and it ain't gonna get any better.......

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one month, give or take a bit and not every day is going to be super hazy. By Songkran it's okay.

Winnie,

do you aspire to be a politician or Bangkok governor or the likes of that??? Sounds like a promise....

Just one month, give or take a bit and not every day is going to be super hazy. By Songkran it's okay.

Winnie,

do you aspire to be a politician or Bangkok governor or the likes of that??? Sounds like a promise....

And I was trying to trying to forget about Songkran. How many died last year?

All nice words of course and your positive spin is appreciated by local business owners, but, Chiang Mai remains the third most polluted location in Thailand.

We would like Chiang Mai to be as clean and healthy as possible, but still, "the third most polluted location in Thailand" is a lot better than the most polluted city on Earth - as a good number of posters were claiming when Priceless started his education campaign.

He always said that we do have a pollution problem here, but not nearly to the extremes that some posters were claiming.

Thanks for the accurate stats Priceless! :D

Despite the air here being quite grotty at the present time, Chiang Mai is of course nowhere near "the third most polluted location in Thailand". I regularly follow the PCD numbers ( http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/Q...fm?task=default ) for nine locations in Thailand, and Chiang Mai is the seventh most polluted (i.e. the third least polluted) of these. The locations I follow are, with their respective average pollution levels since the beginning of 2000:

Samut Prakarn 114.7 (since 2003)

Sara Buri 100.3 (since 2003)

Din Daeng (BKK) 68.4 (NB this is a roadside location)

Chon Buri 57.3

Lampang 57.1

Phuket 49.1

Chiang Mai 46.9

Khon Kaen 36.2

Surat Thani 31.1

A bit of perspective: The Thai "limit" for air pollution (PM<10) levels is 120 µg/m3. So far this year, this has been exceeded twice in Chiang Mai and 32 times in Sara Buri :o

/ Priceless

Sorry, Priceless, I believe your response to be pointless and your presentation of average annual data misleading as to the essential problem. Despite your own oft-expressed caution about misleading assertions and misuse of statistics, your use of them is often misplaced and misleading.

You favor using annual average data. Well, that's fine, if appropriate, but there is a very serious seasonal problem here, as you yourself often point out (which point seems to be ignored all too often).

Secondly, the point really is to focus upon air pollution in Chiang Mai, isn't it? So what about other places except as a matter of general interest. Nor do I see why parsing headlines or stories in The Nation and tackling hyperbole is useful, really. Your posts seem to set free a number of TV apologists for air pollution (former coal miners?) who, for whatever reason, boast that, "Geez, I sure am not bothered!" Are these the same guys who like to blast along the highway on their big bikes without helmets just so they can catch flies in their teeth?!

I know you have a burr up your butt about casual hyperbole. You've told me that! Fair enough, but I suggest being more thoughtful about how that preoccupation might affect what you have to contribute toward understanding and dealing with the essential issue of dirty air in Chiang mai and environs. And that includes concern for your oft-expressed disdain for sensory data (such as, "I can't see the frickin' mountain!" You are right; you certainly can't crunch such observations like PCD data on the calculator, but discounting simple observation "on principal" or tossing such observations aside altogether is simply foolish.

P.S. I'll take back that bit about "So what!" as applies to caring about pollution in other places. I do care, but comparisons aren't the point.

Edited by Mapguy

Update:

Particles from outdoor fires pose health hazard in North

CHIANG MAI: -- The fine dust in northern provinces is eroding air quality, posing a threat to respiratory health and prompting the authorities to beef up measures to prevent forest and outdoor fires.

The Natural Resource and Environment minister is scheduled to discuss outdoor-fire prevention and air pollution with eight northern provincial governors at Chiang Mai City Hall tomorrow.

The Pollution Control Department's air-quality stations reported that dust particles of 10 microns in Chiang Mai, Lampang and other northern provinces yesterday at 9am were above 120 micrograms per square metre (mpsm) and the Air Quality Index (AQI) score was higher than the safety standard of 100.

Central Chiang Mai's air-quality station at Yupparaj School measured 10-micron dust at 149.6 mpsm and an AQI score of 113, while Lampang reported 272.5mpsm and an AQI score of 166. Chiang Rai had 181mpsm, Nan 141.3mpsm, and Phayao 145.6mpsm.

A 15-per-cent increase of respiratory patients was reported at Lampang Central Hospital in the past week, hospital director Songwuth Sabthavisin said.

Chiang Mai environment officer Phuchong Insompan said the hotline 05 340 9345 on outdoor fires had received 60 calls since January 1, with roadside forest fires the most frequently reported, especially in Mae On, Chiang Dao and Chaiprakan districts. In March fire-prevention officials will be dispatched to Hot district, where farmers are expected to burn some 10,000 rai of woodland to plant maize.

-- The Nation 2009-03-01

Thank you for the PHONE NUMBER - infinitely more constructive than most of what I've read tonight (other than Priceless... thank you too). We live along the Ping on the outskirts of town and our neighbours (ALL of them) burn off nearly daily. On the way back from the local noodle shop today (all of 1 km at most) we counted 11 black rings that we could see from fires in the last 1-2 days. We do have loads of big leaves which don't readily decompose when its so dry and it attracts a scary number of large snakes and scorpians - a few weeks ago the local lads caught a 4-5 metre long python just outside our house. However, that said, my immediate neighbours on both sides burn household rubbish and plastic either after dark or early morning (usually 5.00am)... my husband assures me its to save the 7 baht they might have to splurge on the rubbish bag. But I also question that - the gardeners for the huge mansion across the street also burn and they surely aren't scratching for a baht. Could we not make friends with each other and come up with possible solutions... gosh, doesn't that sound rash? If we got some inspiring entrepreneur to put up for a mulching machine and we used some refugee labour to produce sensational compost that we exported to areas with soil degredation? Maybe Thailand could forget about propping up the corn/sugar/rice etc price and be at the forefront of something amazing? My experience of Thailand tells me if you can turn it into a marketable product, you have a chance at change... Our local neighbours (the very same plastic burners) are actually incredible recyclers of every scrap of paper and glass BECAUSE THEY GET PAID FOR IT. Lots of the plastic they burn is the stuff they can't sell. What good are we complaining about this? Please PM me if you think we could work up an idea that we could communicate well to a Thai decision maker or entrepreneur. What do they say... if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Beautiful day in Chiang Mai :D

post-54111-1235810029_thumb.jpg

post-54111-1235809679_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like it from here .... Clear pic is 11/11/2008 and "foggy" pic is 18/02/2009. Worse today....

First picture looks pretty nice to me. Here is a picture from China.....

And guess what? This China picture probably is, no, strike that, has maybe 200 - 300 m less visibility than the 18 Feb 2009 pic I posted above. Drove up to Fang / Mae Ai last week and had to turn on the "fog" lights going through the areas (rain-catchment areas) between Chiang Dao and Chai Prakan (worst areas after Huey Luk) - the time was approx. between 0930 hrs. to 1010 hrs. This is sad folks..... BTW - I've been here in the North (living / residing) for 20 yrs. now.... Been saying the same things way back then as well... You think it's gonna change???? If anything. it's getting worse!!! :o:D:D

See this post of mine - note the daft Special Forces Group 5 microlite pilot - DAFT!!!!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2567547

Edited by scotbeve

So who here is actually involved in a group or community activity (gammaghan, moo-baan style) that is doing something about this air ? People are ready to run off poor Priceless because this should only be a complaint thread, not an 'it's not so bad' thread. Indeed, we may make all the noise we want, but to what ends ? Last year I remember somebody getting involved with printing literature about not burning and something else and getting community active. Who was it ? Where are they now ? Let's get some movement and less kvetching.

So who here is actually involved in a group or community activity (gammaghan, moo-baan style) that is doing something about this air ? People are ready to run off poor Priceless because this should only be a complaint thread, not an 'it's not so bad' thread. Indeed, we may make all the noise we want, but to what ends ? Last year I remember somebody getting involved with printing literature about not burning and something else and getting community active. Who was it ? Where are they now ? Let's get some movement and less kvetching.

Yes, I remember that but, sorry, I too cannot remember who he was--he had printed out a bunch of cards in Thai detailing the problem of air pollution and it's 'potential' causes and was handing them out whenever he found people burning--in the nicest, no-confrontational way, I'm sure.

Who were you???

Want to do something constructive? Lots of different sorts of things can be done. Here are a few ideas and contacts to get you started:

1. Report fires when you see them. (This will usually require learning enough Thai to do it and knowing how to read a map or describe a location, but English speakers are normally available during office hours). The numbers are: 199 or 053409345.

2. Talk to neighbors about the problem, expressing concern for good health and showing alternatives. Excellent leaflets are available available from the Urban Studies Section of the Social Research Institute, Chiang Mai University.

3. Follow recycling techniques. Promote regular garbage pickup, which is not yet consistently available outside of Chiang Mai City. Contact scavengers regarding recyclable material which is profitable. (Quite a lot is.) There is also promotional material at the Social Research Institute with contact information for entrepreneurial firms who are manufacturing products from recycled materials:

Urban Studies Section

Social Research Instititute

Chiang Mai University

www.sri.cmu.ac.th

Email: //e-mail removed as per forum rules//

This office is located on the right-hand side of the road which is the first major left-hand turn through the CMU entrance on the Canal Road. There is a sign about 150M down the road on the right. Park and go to the 2d floor office.

4. Be persistent in writing letters to officials at province level, especially the governor and the deputy governor, and contacting national as well as local news media. Don't forget to contact TAT where some tourism officials seem to be in denial about pollution. There is a TAT official in Chiang Mai. Persistently ask municipal and police officials why they don't enforce existing pollution laws. Join and support the efforts of the UDIF (Urban Development Institute Foundation). The web site is www.udif.or.th. Email is //e-mail removed as per forum rules//. Phone: 053.27.4817. Visit UDIF most any Saturday. It is located in the very large building directly west of and across the road of the Governor's residence on the SW corner of Taepae Bridge. Lots of parking off Taepae Road.

People are ready to run off poor Priceless because this should only be a complaint thread, not an 'it's not so bad' thread.

Individual posters may have different agenda's in this discussion and the many other debates and analysis of CM air quality. I for one believe that the name of the game is to try to agree a fair and accurate view of the situation, one that is truly representative and unbiased. Whilst Priceless has posted some extremely useful data and views on the subject the overall trend and theme of his posts is far too positive for my liking and this runs counter to my perception and first hand experience of CM air quality (I lived there for many years).

The reason that I think it's important to achieve a fair accurate view is because of the many hundreds if not thousands of TV members who follow these threads, uncertain of whether the CM air pollution issue is a major threat to their health and the health of their families or simply the product of ravings by a handful of deluded expats who have nothing better to do with their time. Those thousands of people are trying to decide whether to move to CM or indeed to stay there or leave and in doing so, make decisions that potentially affect the length and quality of their remaining lives. So it's not a case of poor Priceless, Priceless does us no favors in being so entrenched in his views, espcially when there are major issues surrounding data collection of pollution statistics - other posters are perhaps the exact opposite in that some make far fetched claims that cannot be substantiated. It's also not a case of this being a complaint thread or a, "it's not so bad" thread, this should be a "what is the true and accurate state of the pollution problem in CM" thread because right now the answer differs based on who you listen to.

Winnie,

And I was trying to trying to forget about Songkran. How many died last year?

Every year about 400-700 people die I believe? Best not to do any serious road travelling. :D With the weather like this I do kind of start to feel that Songkran excitement building up, knowing the party will be starting soon...! :o

( ...and wouldn't it be great if people who enjoy complaining about such things every single year would just admit to themselves they made the wrong choice on their place to live and move off to Phuket.... In Phuket hardly any Songkranning goes on (well, one day and that's it).. People still die on the roads there though; it's still a major holiday. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks for posting that phone number again, Mapguy. I went for a 90km bike ride the other day. I passed at least 30 fires. I also passed at least a dozen wats where they were burning leaves and garbage. That's more than 40 calls I would have to make! Mapguy, will you buy me a new top up card? And am I really supposed to turn in the monks?

And it's the govt that is doing lots of the burning. The road crews that are supposed to be clearing the sides of the road, just burn it instead. Any reason why the 2 meter wide strip between the canal and the road has to be burned? So who you gonna call when it's the people the govt hires that are doing the burning?

I have a friend whose wife's family lives in a village in the mountains north of CM. Everytime someone there tries to start a fire, they are admonished that they have to wait til March! Now it's OK for them to burn.

So what am I going to do? Absolutely nothing. While I don't own a car and rarely use tuk-tuks or songthiews and I only use my A/C at night, on a global scale I'm one of the worst polluters on the planet. I fly over 100 hours a year. I'm sure my carbon footprint is bigger than 90% of the Thais who don't own cars, never fly, and don't have an A/c in their house.

Yes, we can make the air better in CM, but WE are the ones making the air worse for the entire planet. If you have a car, fly back and forth to Europe and America, have a house with an A/C (or 4), you're a bigger polluter than any Thai who is burning a pile of leaves or 100 rai of farmland.

We should all clean up our own pollution if we're going to demand the same of others.

Mapguy, how many hours a year are you on a plane? And you, "Chiangmai"?

Want to do something constructive? Lots of different sorts of things can be done. Here are a few ideas and contacts to get you started:

1. Report fires when you see them. (This will usually require learning enough Thai to do it and knowing how to read a map or describe a location, but English speakers are normally available during office hours). The numbers are: 199 or 053409345.

2. Talk to neighbors about the problem, expressing concern for good health and showing alternatives. Excellent leaflets are available available from the Urban Studies Section of the Social Research Institute, Chiang Mai University.

3. Follow recycling techniques. Promote regular garbage pickup, which is not yet consistently available outside of Chiang Mai City. Contact scavengers regarding recyclable material which is profitable. (Quite a lot is.) There is also promotional material at the Social Research Institute with contact information for entrepreneurial firms who are manufacturing products from recycled materials:

Urban Studies Section

Chiang Mai University

www.sri.cmu.ac.th

This office is located on the right-hand side of the road which is the first major left-hand turn through the CMU entrance on the Canal Road. There is a sign about 150M down the road on the right. Park and go to the 2d floor office.

4. Be persistent in writing letters to officials at province level, especially the governor and the deputy governor, and contacting national as well as local news media. Don't forget to contact TAT where some tourism officials seem to be in denial about pollution. There is a TAT official in Chiang Mai. Persistently ask municipal and police officials why they don't enforce existing pollution laws. Join and support the efforts of the UDIF (Urban Development Institute Foundation). The web site is www.udif.or.th. Email is //e-mail removed as per forum rules//. Phone: 053.27.4817. Visit UDIF most any Saturday. It is located in the very large building directly west of and across the road of the Governor's residence on the SW corner of Taepae Bridge. Lots of parking off Taepae Road.

Thanks for posting that phone number again, Mapguy. I went for a 90km bike ride the other day. I passed at least 30 fires. I also passed at least a dozen wats where they were burning leaves and garbage. That's more than 40 calls I would have to make! Mapguy, will you buy me a new top up card? And am I really supposed to turn in the monks?

And it's the govt that is doing lots of the burning. The road crews that are supposed to be clearing the sides of the road, just burn it instead. Any reason why the 2 meter wide strip between the canal and the road has to be burned? So who you gonna call when it's the people the govt hires that are doing the burning?

I have a friend whose wife's family lives in a village in the mountains north of CM. Everytime someone there tries to start a fire, they are admonished that they have to wait til March! Now it's OK for them to burn.

So what am I going to do? Absolutely nothing. While I don't own a car and rarely use tuk-tuks or songthiews and I only use my A/C at night, on a global scale I'm one of the worst polluters on the planet. I fly over 100 hours a year. I'm sure my carbon footprint is bigger than 90% of the Thais who don't own cars, never fly, and don't have an A/c in their house.

Yes, we can make the air better in CM, but WE are the ones making the air worse for the entire planet. If you have a car, fly back and forth to Europe and America, have a house with an A/C (or 4), you're a bigger polluter than any Thai who is burning a pile of leaves or 100 rai of farmland.

We should all clean up our own pollution if we're going to demand the same of others.

Mapguy, how many hours a year are you on a plane? And you, "Chiangmai"?

Urban Studies Section

Chiang Mai University

www.sri.cmu.ac.th

Well, to answer your charge first, I've averaged about 15 hours a year since being based in Thailand. That's a pretty big carbon footprint, I suppose, so I'll have to cop a plea! Obviously, there are problems large and small to deal with.

Anyway, yep, turn in the monks! Actually, reporting fires isn't being so nasty as it does eventually create more awareness of concern. I wouldn't call neighborhood trash burners arsonists, but local action is helpful over the long haul --- and it is something useful you can do rather than adopt the anomie of scoffers, the do-nothing-because-why-bother crowd.

So while appreciating your cleverness, I suggest that a lot of the answers to helping improve the situation are found in providing alternatives and encouragement locally and beyond. I'll save up to help you top off your mobile phone. In the meantime, perhaps you could telephone a general report or two covering an area you traverse on your bike? Please stop before you dial! No "no hands" stuff, please!

Smoke still blankets the North

- From The Bangkok Post: Published: 2/03/2009 at 04:35 PM

The Natural Resources and Environment Ministry will lobby the cabinet on Tuesday for urgent funds to combat rising dust pollution of the air in the North caused by fires.

Saksit Tridech, permanent secretary of the ministry, said the amount of micro-dust in the air exceeded the health standard in many parts of the northern region throughout February.

The highest contamination was found in Lampang, followed by Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and Lamphun.

The overall level of air pollution in these provinces exceeded the level during the air pollution crisis of 2007, said Saksit.

The natural resources and environment minister would ask for 50 million baht in emergency funding for each northern province blanketed by the smoke, he said.

Some of the money was to hire 3,600 people drawn from the pool of unemployed university graduates and residents in affected localities. They would help inspect and control forest fires.

Another 2,000 local people would be hired as firefighters.

The Natural Resources and Environment Ministry will lobby the cabinet on Tuesday for urgent funds to combat rising dust pollution of the air in the North caused by fires.

Saksit Tridech, permanent secretary of the ministry, said the amount of micro-dust in the air exceeded the health standard in many parts of the northern region throughout February.

The highest contamination was found in Lampang, followed by Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and Lamphun.

The overall level of air pollution in these provinces exceeded the level during the air pollution crisis of 2007, said Saksit.

The natural resources and environment minister would ask for 50 million baht in emergency funding for each northern province blanketed by the smoke, he said.

Some of the money was to hire 3,600 people drawn from the pool of unemployed university graduates and residents in affected localities. They would help inspect and control forest fires.

Sounds good but will ALL of that happen... Good to see that they (the govt.) are actually thinking of the jobless for a change.

Sounds good but will ALL of that happen... Good to see that they (the govt.) are actually thinking of the jobless for a change.

unemployed university graduates

Young people, for the most part, I suppose. I hope conditions will be created under which they can report the actions of their elders without internal (or external :o ) conflict.

:D . I certainly found today very unpleasant.

By the way, I am not sure if it was in this or another thread that the suggestion that Mapguy's contributions were not constructive was made. I find that bizarre -- he'd seem to me to be amongst our most open-minded, balanced and well- informed posters, by far.

I would think having no-car/motorbike zones in parts of the city would be a great help (not to mention not owning any, to begin with). It would also ceate a far more pleasant environment for visitors as well as residents. It could not cost much to implement; just that of some public transport to and from the areas as well as within, preferably of the "green" variety. Plenty of other cities have managed to achieve this.

P.S. Yes, of course report the monks! They should be role models! Their actions and words can definitely bring change!

Edited by WaiWai

unemployed university graduates

Young people, for the most part, I suppose. I hope conditions will be created under which they can report the actions of their elders without internal (or external :o ) conflict.

:D . I certainly found today very unpleasant.

By the way, I am not sure if it was in this or another thread that the suggestion that Mapguy's contributions were not constructive was made. I find that bizarre -- he'd seem to me to be amongst our most open-minded, balanced and well- informed posters, by far.

I would think having no-car/motorbike zones in parts of the city would be a great help (not to mention not owning any, to begin with). It would also ceate a far more pleasant environment for visitors as well as residents. It could not cost much to implement; just that of some public transport to and from the areas as well as within, preferably of the "green" variety. Plenty of other cities have managed to achieve this.

P.S. Yes, of course report the monks! They should be role models! Their actions and words can definitely bring change!

I think you'll find that criticism was made as a result of a single poster who responded to a post I made and misinterpreted what was said - the issue is therefore not a real one.

I think you'll find that criticism was made as a result of a single poster who responded to a post I made and misinterpreted

Thanks, and back to the "real issue" of this infernal, choking smoke and what we ALL can do about it ...

The last (24-hour) FIRMS (satellite spotting) report of fires in Doi Suthep - Pui shows five, down from eleven.

In case you missed it before, here is where to find out all you might wish you didn't want to know about particulate matter pollution:

http://www.epa.gov/air/particlepollution/index.html

And, from the American Lung Association when asked about humidity (such as morning mist) and air pollution:

When it comes to particle pollution, size is probably more of a concern than humidity and moisture. Our respiratory system uses the nose and throat to filter particles out of the air we breathe, and normally does a very good job. Larger particles are trapped in the lining of the nose and throat, and never reach the lungs. Smaller particles are more dangerous, as they get past our filtering system, and can be deposited deep in the lungs. 10 microns is usually the cut off, with particles smaller than this being the most harmful. When we deliver an inhaled medication to the lungs, we have to consider this as well. A particle size of 2-5 microns is the most desirable, as this will be deposited in the lower respiratory tract. Very humid climates MAY actually trap more particles in the air, but with particles this small, they can be airborne regardless of the amount of moisture in the air. Humidity is a bigger concern with indoor air quality, as it can provide a water source for allergens such as mold, mildew, and dust mites.

just got back to chiang mai this morning from vientiane and am shocked at how thick and cloying the smog is here today. unsurprising i guess as all through the night on our bus ride you could see hundreds of yards worth of fires blazing away on every mountaintop. quite pretty in a peverse way but the effect on the air quality here is appalling.

I've copied the Health and Environment section of the US EPA site which Mapguy had duly posted, the link above...

Health and Environment

The size of particles is directly linked to their potential for causing health problems. Small particles less than10 micrometers in diameter pose the greatest problems, because they can get deep into your lungs, and some may even get into your bloodstream.

Exposure to such particles can affect both your lungs and your heart. Small particles of concern include "inhalable coarse particles" (such as those found near roadways and dusty industries), which are larger than 2.5 micrometers and smaller than 10 micrometers in diameter; and "fine particles" (such as those found in smoke and haze), which are 2.5 micrometers in diameter and smaller.

The Clean Air Act requires EPA to set air quality standards to protect both public health and the public welfare (e.g. crops and vegetation). Particle pollution affects both.

Health Effects

Particle pollution - especially fine particles - contains microscopic solids or liquid droplets that are so small that they can get deep into the lungs and cause serious health problems. Numerous scientific studies have linked particle pollution exposure to a variety of problems, including:

* increased respiratory symptoms, such as irritation of the airways, coughing, or difficulty breathing, for example;

* decreased lung function;

* aggravated asthma;

* development of chronic bronchitis;

* irregular heartbeat;

* nonfatal heart attacks; and

* premature death in people with heart or lung disease.

People with heart or lung diseases, children and older adults are the most likely to be affected by particle pollution exposure. However, even if you are healthy, you may experience temporary symptoms from exposure to elevated levels of particle pollution. For more information about asthma, visit www.epa.gov/asthma.

Can any other forum reader or member remember last week (can't remember which day) that in the Thai media (newspapers and radio), there were warnings to stay inside and don't play any sports? Also, it was in the Bangkok post there was an article saying that the government was to distribute dust masks.

I wear one constantly.... even inside air conditioned stores. If the government actually has distributed masks, I haven't seen hardly a soul wear them - foreigners included. Something is terribly wrong here....

My son is playing fotsal at American Pacific Intl. School as I write this. APIS is in the mountains.... He had left before I was awake today. When I woke up looked out the door at the mountain range which is about 1.9km away and couldn't see ANY part of the mountains!!!! My point being, does anyone, including the International schools here, listen, or better yet, LOOK at the haze and make a decision to say "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!! Keep the students inside a filtered area, let's start a training center for forest fire fighters, slap HEAVY fines on ANYONE seen starting a fire ANYWHERE, distribute and actually WEAR dust masks, and just be plain old MORE vigilant. How often have you reported a fire in this past month???

agree the air is horrible today. It been okay for the last three days . But no sign of any mountain. Not clearing at all as of 12.40pm

Played tennis thismorning. It was like playing in an airport smoking room without the ventilation.

Grottyesque. Dangerous. Life shortenning.

Flying in from Bangkok this morning, noticeable dust layer starting probably around north of Ayutthaya, but when we got south of Lampang it's really thick. Air quality much better in Bangkok, especially where I live which is next to a klong and is like a windy tunnel.

Would have stayed longer but had to come back.

Basically there is blanket cover over the whole of the Central/North area and much worse further north. Going to need rain or wind to move it.