Motorcycle Auction

rmicheald

I have heard that there is a "used" motorcycle auction in Pattaya about once a month. Anyone know anything about it? Are there some good reliable bikes to be found? What about transfer of ownership etc.?

Thanks,

Micheal

There is a motorbike auction every Friday, at the top of Threpprasit rd opposite the market at about 6 / 7 pm

As far as are they any good ? you would have to take someone who knows about bikes and speaks Thai as the auction is in Thai. :o

I'm no expert on motorbikes, but from what I've seen, comparing the prices of brand new models I have looked at in showrooms with the second-hand prices being asked in the newspapers and on the 'buy and sell' forums of various Pattaya boards, the discount for a 'used' bike hardly seems worth bothering about. That's unless you are a mechanical expert who can spot defects and problems, or else can find a second-hand deal where the vendor will give you a decent warranty. Depending on the age of the bike and the number of clicks on it, you might save 5K-10K Baht on a 40K-50K bike, but is that worth it given the risk that you are buying a second hand crock-of-sh*t? Just curious, as I'm thinking of moving away from the Baht Bus route, so I will probably have to get a bike fairly soon.

If you have the money to spare and are staying long term in Thailand i would buy new .New prices for the small bikes are about half the new price in Europe .If just staying a few months each year i would buy S/H from the notice boards outside the supermarkets .I have bought 2 bikes that way without problems .The sellers were Farang and helped me with the paper work .

..... helped me with the paper work .

yes, paperwork can be real

hll if u dont know all these things...

I'd assumed that if I was buying a new bike, the dealer would sort out the paperwork for me - am I being too optimistic there?

Is there a list somewhere on the board that explains what steps and paperwork are necessary?

I've read several times about having to have a temporary red number plate for the first month after you buy a new bike. I've also read that insurance is dirt cheap and easy to arrange. What else is there? Do you need a Thai driving licence for a small 125 cc Yamaha Nouvo or Honda Air Blade?

Thanks.

I've been to the Theprasit Bike Auction before, when I was looking for a little Fino for myself.

Got excited when I saw the bikes were going for anything between 2,000 baht and 10,000 baht.

Boyfriend went to 'Sign Up' to get our auctioneer number. Was told that 'Registration' is a 1 time fee of 10,000 baht per night. You can buy as many bikes as you like after you have paid this 10,000 baht fee. Most bikes sell for around 5,000. Its worth it if you were to buy a few, but I wouldn't risk buying one for myself there. And that 10,000 baht fee is only good for the night and is non refundable.

The place was full of Thai guys buying many, many bikes, probably for re-sale.

I've been to the Theprasit Bike Auction before, when I was looking for a little Fino for myself.

Got excited when I saw the bikes were going for anything between 2,000 baht and 10,000 baht.

Boyfriend went to 'Sign Up' to get our auctioneer number. Was told that 'Registration' is a 1 time fee of 10,000 baht per night. You can buy as many bikes as you like after you have paid this 10,000 baht fee. Most bikes sell for around 5,000. Its worth it if you were to buy a few, but I wouldn't risk buying one for myself there. And that 10,000 baht fee is only good for the night and is non refundable.

The place was full of Thai guys buying many, many bikes, probably for re-sale.

I think you are a little confused here.The 10.000 baht fee is a guarantee you pay in case you should not pick up the bike you won in the bid.If you don't buy anything you will get your money back at the end of the auction.

I have with me the list with all the bikes from yesterday's auction and the lowest STARTING bid on it is 13000 baht.

10k is a deposite for the bike you may buy - if you don't buy you get it back. A friend got a 1 year old Honda wave with 5500kms at 19500B less than half the price of a new one. A few minor bits of paint damage - 1100B to make it look like new.

Or the other option i was offered by a local BIB was to rent any bike in the police lot for 500B a month!!