Thailand May Seek To Extradite Thaksin: Pm

george

OK, I have a fantasy scenario. Could this happen? Would it work? Would the people accept it?

3. Abhisit pledges to effect a pardon for all current and future criminal charges against Thaksin and also be able to keep his money, Thaksin pledges to finally quit all activity politics in any and all ways in a venue he won't ever be able to weasel out of (as he always has in the past). .....edited for brevity

Thaksin is a habitual liar. Any promise/pledge by him is as firm as wet toilet paper.

Thanksin did more for Thailand than any other PM here. Don't believe the hype the new government has fed you.

Yea, he did more - .......more consolidating power, .....more hoodwinking the masses into believing his lies - including many supposedly intelligent people, who didn't see the bitter reality until years later,

Thaksin also 'did more' in terms of manipulating Thai politics/overseas connections to pad his personal wealth. Shall I continue?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least he was elected twice (or is three times) by the people (legally) and not put up by puppet Generals.

:D

Fobuff

Erm, elected twice (not three times), as the third election was annulled, long before the coup. Do you feel that Samak, Somchai or Abhisit were also put up by puppet generals ? Surely you can only make that claim about the junta-government.

I wonder what Thaksin Shinawatra knows about national security and top secret files, eg the money path taken by Golden Triangle revenues.

He was privy to intelligence files for five years. He must have felt tempted to peek inside.

Lets hope his tribulations do not prejudice his ongoing duty of confidentiality.

Good point, which may be why he found friends initially in China, but I'm sure that the Chinese government also realise that the present PM has access to the same information, which may encourage them to take a more-balanced view.

It`s seems not only do they want to kill him, but eat him as well.

Source for your claim of wishing to eat Thaksin ? :D Even the claims of assasination seem to come only from Thaksin, who has played the same tune many times over several years, without ever producing any real evidence, so it looks more like a pitiful attempt by a fantasist or unstable personality to gain sympathy.

If Thaksin wants to come home, he can, but must face the courts & he can no-longer bribe or brow-beat them into letting him off, so easily. Fighting for justice is all very well, but he fears that he might just get, what he claims to want !

If he wants forgiveness, to return home to lead a quiet life, and a negotiated-behind-the-scenes settlement on his/Pokemon's money, then he has to stop creating bad publicity for his home country, and trying to destabilise it. If he still believes that it's possible, to return and become PM again, then he must be living, not in Nicaragua or Hong Kong or Togo or Dubai, but in 'cloud-cuckoo-land'. :o

One of the great tests, of any political leader, is whether they can recognise when history has moved-on, and they're no-longer relevant. A test which Thaksin seems to be failing. :D

You misunderstand. I am no Thaksin lover, just passing on the facts and my opinion as I see it. It could be categorized as a pragmatic observation. You are correct if you feel I have no love for the Democratic Party as it is presently constituted. Just give them some time and see what happens. It will be impossible for the Democrats to improve your and your families lot in life. You are not considered a victim by the Democrats but are only thought of as fodder to further their personal goals and interests. Good luck.

Here we have the standard argument from the pro Thaksin brigade. Presented on so many threads by so many posters it's become their manifesto.

1. Vigourously protest that they do not, in fact, love Thaksin.

2. Claim to be stating facts, without offering any evidence for them.

3. Tell us all to "wait and see". Abhisit will mess up this and fall on that. In 5 years time, should Abhisit still be in power, the beginnings of a real democracy well rooted and the country flourishing, these same people will be on here saying "just you wait, it will happen."

The real facts are: Abhisit is the legal PM. His government has made a good start given the global situation and the fact that they've only been in power for 2 months. Thaksin was found guilty and convicted. Any impartial court of law in any country would have made the same decision. The old "he did good for the poor" argument is a myth based on the flawed 30 baht health scheme and his handing out taxpayers money.

Edited to remove extra quotes

What's your point, Point.

I will wait the five years but it will be more like five month. If you read my posts from 2006 you will find that I am fully anti-Thaksin. I do not belong to any group that is using some kind of psychological tool to sway your opinion nor do I subscribe to any "manifesto" pro-Thaksin or otherwise.

In your item #2 you claim I (and my people) spew facts without any evidence for them. Well all the facts exists on many of these and other threads and probably on the manifesto you refer to (which I do not have a copy of).

In your big close, #3, you tell me to "wait and see" and that Abhisit has made a good start without letting anyone know what he has done beside talking to to poor and trying to tell the world everything is OK in Thailand. Perhaps his vast accomplishments are in the other manifesto?

What's your point, Point.

I will wait the five years but it will be more like five month. If you read my posts from 2006 you will find that I am fully anti-Thaksin. I do not belong to any group that is using some kind of psychological tool to sway your opinion nor do I subscribe to any "manifesto" pro-Thaksin or otherwise.

In your item #2 you claim I (and my people) spew facts without any evidence for them. Well all the facts exists on many of these and other threads and probably on the manifesto you refer to (which I do not have a copy of).

In your big close, #3, you tell me to "wait and see" and that Abhisit has made a good start without letting anyone know what he has done beside talking to to poor and trying to tell the world everything is OK in Thailand. Perhaps his vast accomplishments are in the other manifesto?

So you think Abhisit should be given 5 months to solve Thailand's problems? That's very decent of you. If you can't see the difference between getting rid of someone now because he night screw up in the future, and waiting to see if he actually does screw up, I'm surprised you ever leave your house for fear the sky will fall on your head. Or do you change the tyres on your car every day for fear they'll get punctured?

Abhisit and his government have passed the ASEAN bill, put forward a number of measures to try and stimulate the economy, reopened a number of serious crime cases that had been neglected, organised the ASEAN leaders meeting, and started on a number of political reform plans, including the land tax bill. In their time in power, and now the opposition, the PPP / PTP managed to host a cooking show, tried to introduce the "bring back Thaksin" bill, tried to introduce the "regulate public gatherings bill", tried to introduce the amnesty bill, tried to come up with a leader who wasn't a relative of Thaksin, or the father of a thug, and continue trying to destabilise the country through constantly seeking advice from a convicted criminal. I fail to see how you, and any of the others who dislike Thaksin as much as you claim to, can reconcile that with supporting a party who's sole intention is to bring him back as PM.

The powers-that-be don't want him back in Thailand. Nor do they want him making high profile speeches in Hong Kong. Make some noises about having him extradited and he'll probably back off on the speech.

I foresee a tragic accident a la David Kelly Diane Hilda Murrel JFK RFK M L King type

If you stir and upset the governors too much karmechaics fail

Or am I too cynical sure he's a lvely fellow and justice will be done in Land of Smiles the best of all poss whirls

So Coalminer, you figure calling someone a "charlatan"

is not a flame against TVF rules?

char·la·tan

n. A person who makes elaborate, fraudulent,

and often voluble claims to skill or knowledge; a quack or fraud.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

whoops,you did it,more fun,prk bareln ended 20 years ago,bettr get bac under yer rock,cool,now you-theyre their own wost enemy great show,it unravles fast now and we can see you for what you are,
no you are not naive,sorry if you felt that,just undereducated and under traveled and over moneyed,but this is enough for me,i need to go offer flowers and unto buddha and sing the mantra and wash dishes at temple as iv been taught so i herby hand this off to ...DW were are ya,yer missn some fun,

So 'animatic', you figure calling someone the text marked in bolt and red is not a flame against TVF rules?

But "i opologize for any offense and herby check out" as 'chlear909' said.

The powers-that-be don't want him back in Thailand. Nor do they want him making high profile speeches in Hong Kong. Make some noises about having him extradited and he'll probably back off on the speech.

I foresee a tragic accident a la David Kelly Diane Hilda Murrel JFK RFK M L King type

If you stir and upset the governors too much karmechaics fail

Or am I too cynical sure he's a lvely fellow and justice will be done in Land of Smiles the best of all poss whirls

It would have been interesting if he had made real his threats to spill the UK government's "dirty secrets" that he claimed to know. He probably would have joined a famous list of people who threatened, or carried out, the same, only to suddenly find themselves deceased.

Thai consul in Hong Kong instructed to check Thaksin's whereabouts: PM

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Consulate Office in Hong Kong will check into the whereabouts of fugive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and report back to the government, Prime MinisterAbhisit Vejjajiva said on Friday.

"If Thaksin can be located, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will coordinate with the Office of the Attorney General to bring him back," Abhisit said.

He said the Thai consul was closely monitoring whether Thaksin would give a speech at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Hong Kong, which might be a clue to locate him.

-- The Nation 2009-02-27

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Consulate Office in Hong Kong will check into the whereabouts of fugive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and report back to the government, Prime MinisterAbhisit Vejjajiva said on Friday.

"If Thaksin can be located, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will coordinate with the Office of the Attorney General to bring him back," Abhisit said.

He said the Thai consul was closely monitoring whether Thaksin would give a speech at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Hong Kong, which might be a clue to locate him.

-- The Nation 2009-02-27

And again, if they really wanted Mr Big back on Thai soil, why telegraph every move? It's all for show, kidz.

Edited by ovenman

-- The Nation 2009-02-27

And again, if they really wanted Mr Big back on Thai soil, why telegraph every move? It's all for show, kidz.

Good point. He certainly won't hang around if there is a "Real Chance" of him being deported back here! :o

So old Thaksin is going to talk in front of a bunch of journos in HK on Monday. He hasnt had an interview with any journo worth mentioning for months so it is a big thing for him. The Thai government dontlike th eidea so they talk the extradition word. That is going to worry Thaksin a bit as he is not exactly reknown for his personal bravery. It also sends out a hint of we know where you are going to be and there are some ex-compatriots of Mr. Thaksin's of the dangerous kind that would no doubt be very happy if he were to meet a sticky en, which is wwhy Mr. Thaksin keeps any movement in Asia very very quiet usually. However, I would think the main reason of the E word being bandied around is that is setting Mondays speech up tobe something that could embarrass the Chinese government on their soil. The Chinese have always had a strong avoid interference in internal affairs desire especially theirs and they usually do not like foreigners using their soil to launch attacks on sovereign nations. It would probably now be in the interest of both China and Thailand if Thaksin never spoke on Monday. If he does get to speak he will have to move carefully.

Having said that there are now more than a few Thai analysts who think that actually Thaksin's politcalstock is at an all time low and his popularity has waned drastically and that his time abroad is running outand that he wuill have to return. That analysis which I dont actaully subcribe to would mean the Extradtion talk could be more real than we think. Although I dont agree with that analysis his powerhas decreased with the red demo being smaller than expected and then being cut short. The PTP leadership chaos and the censure on god knows what also indicate a position of weakness. It may be that the Newin defection has ripped the guts out of Thaksins organs. Certainly his defection removed more than just 20 odd MPs. It left spies inside the PTP, took a lot of the UDD ground organization with it, removed TV and paper media organs, removed funds, removed a very large segment of the Isaan local government, removed the ability to gather huge numbers for demos rapidly and had a demoralisation effect on what wasleft of PTP and left red groups starting to split between leftists and rightists.

Interesting times but Thaksins best approach may be toget back to how he started it all with his big suck. Just get the dosh out and buy the votes in the censure motion. Then he can have his own government of gangsters back. Failing that it looks downhill for the dude.

At least he was elected twice (or is three times) by the people (legally) and not put up by puppet Generals.

:o

Fobuff

through bribery/vote buying/corruption//media control/cencorship/bullying of opponents/state and police violence etc.

not exactly democratic. just because someone gets the most votes doesn't mean they were elected in a democratic way.

the pre requisites for democracy - rule of law, human rights, freedom of speech, fear from intimidation and political violence, accountability - just dont exist in thailand at present.

i hate the yellowshirts too. thailand needs real change not just one bunch of rich power mad brutes fighting another.

Well well said Squarefred. I cannot see why every open minded person cannot see this, just use your brains and be honest with yourself and you see this is completely true. I do like the current PM and he IS in power through the constitution in that he got the majority support of the "elected" members of the government to finish the current term. The new PM does seem a more honest and straight guy and at least we know he was well educated in a civilised country so does know how things should be run. So maybe it IS best for him to run in office for a while to let things settle down before calling new elections but unless those new elections are monitored independently it will be just another sham that few will accept. Of course Thaksin should never be allowed back into power as he is a proven and convicted crook, whether you believe in his right wing policies or not the guy is not suitable for office or any position of power. Could you ever imagine say a similar convicted fraudster in the UK or USA being even allowed into parliament as an MP let alone a PM so how can ANYONE honest and decent support that here beats me. I believe in law and order thus Thaksin, as all sentenced crooks, needs to serve his term in jail for justice to prevail. He was after all found guilty even when his cronies were in power because the evidence was irrefutable and indefensible thus his friends in power could do nothing much to help without themselves losing face and any integrity they still possibly had.

Yes we do need a proper party of the people NOT run by the rich elite class who underneath it all want to keep the majority poor to foster their own ends, cheap labour and thus more personal profits and wealth. This is just like the UK back over 100 years ago until a peoples party was formed known as "Labour" Although personally not enamoured with the extreme left that logically sprung up within Labour at least it moderated the extreme right and in recent years the UK has at last seen much more centre based "third way" politics which is healthy in the long term. 21st century is a time to escape from the extremes and extremists and the people not to be fooled any longer but to stand up and be counted for their freedom and rights.

Edited by rayw

I think that is the worst thing they can do. Get this piece of shit back here to spend a few months in a luxury cell (ha!) and then free to stir up all kinds of shit and whining about injustice. Thailand will fall into anarchy if this scumbag ever gets near the place.

These words look like they are coming from a very disgruntled little man - think you might have been happy joining the yellow shirt mob on their path of destruction last year - you should stand up with Sonthi and scream foul - wonder why you not protest the fact that they are wanted by the law for treason, destuction of property etc, etc, etc, etc, - the reality is that Taksin had this country in better standing interntionally and a much better financial position and what it is now - and seems that the PM and his deputy cant even agree on the matter of trying to get him back here --

Not sure about Aussimike's size but he has every right to be disgruntled and so should everyone else. We're talking about bringing to book a monster - an instigator of how many thounsands of extra judicially killed Thais? Was it two thousand plus or five thousand plus? We'll never really know! What we do know is that Thaksin is a crime against humanity and it should never ever be forgotten! As for the comment that Thaksin put the country into better standing internationally I would have point out that his sterling reputation is why he is an honourary president of Man City football club! Oh, sorry, they stripped him of that for the shame that he bought to football!

what is your source for that?

as a shareholder of mc i can tell you the presidency automatically went on his resignation and when he sold his investments

As for the comment that Thaksin put the country into better standing internationally I would have point out that his sterling reputation is why he is an honourary president of Man City football club! Oh, sorry, they stripped him of that for the shame that he bought to football!

what is your source for that?

as a shareholder of mc i can tell you the presidency automatically went on his resignation and when he sold his investments

This only happened just very recently...

30095617-01.jpg

Man City closes door on Frank

Banished from a place where he is still well loved, at least by about half of the population, leaving behind divisive questions about his legal and business morals. No chance to defend himself. The door is just slammed shut and all the links severed.

That's not about Thaksin Shinawatra and Thailand. It's about him and Manchester, the British city where he was once affectionately called "Frank" and ethical issues were swept aside because what he was doing for a football club was deemed more important and meaningful.

The Thaksin myth lives on. The blue half of Manchester has been divided. There are people who remain deeply thankful for what he did for the Manchester City Football Club and there are those who wouldn't buy a match ticket as long as he was in charge. And against that backdrop, there have been whispered rumours about shady business deals or transactions of the kind that left his motherland in the current dismal political state.

Why the new MCFC owners, who cordially bought the club from Thaksin last year, suddenly decided to disgrace him by relieving him as Honorary President of the club is a mystery. Reasons given point to his conviction and other problems in Thailand, but they do not explain why it took the Arab executives this long to realise Thaksin had such troubles.

The club's sale to the Arab billionaires was completed in early September, whereas Thaksin was convicted in late October. It's possible that the new owners gave Thaksin the benefit of the doubt and played a waiting game until he was really found guilty. However, that "waiting" period, more than 100 days after his conviction and around three months after the UK government revoked his visa, is also long enough to arouse curiosity.

Do the new owners know something we don't? Most puzzling of all, it was anything but a fond farewell.

Thaksin's name has been removed from the match-day programme and also been taken off the club's website and various places inside the stadium.

One high-ranking club official was reported to have said it was "disgusting" that a convicted criminal should be allowed an honorary role at the club

That was not the way a football club treats a former owner, let alone one largely credited with taking it out of financial trouble and, though he has sold it, making it the richest club in the world.

And we can only guess why this kind of treatment, whether at national or club levels, keeps happening to the same man.

- The Nation / 2009-02-13

Edited by sriracha john

I think that is the worst thing they can do. Get this piece of shit back here to spend a few months in a luxury cell (ha!) and then free to stir up all kinds of shit and whining about injustice. Thailand will fall into anarchy if this scumbag ever gets near the place.

Or he is running from China....next country......

NICARAGUA!

....and is going to join and redshirt the Sandinistas! :o

Hong Kong Thaksin talk to go ahead amid extradition threats

Hong Kong - A talk by fugitive former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in Hong Kong next week was still scheduled to go ahead Friday despite calls for his extradition to Thailand.

The controversial former premier is due to give a talk at Hong Kong's Foreign Correspondents' Club (FCC) on Monday at a luncheon attended by more than 100 people who have paid around 20 US dollars for their tickets.

The plans reportedly annoyed his successor Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who threatened to lobby mainland China for Thaksin's extradition. The business-tycoon-turned-politician was handed a jail sentence last year for breaching corruption rules while in office.

However, the Hong Kong Security Bureau on Friday said there was no agreement on the surrender of fugitive offenders between the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and Thailand.

Under the 'one country, two systems' principle adopted in 1997 when the former British colony reverted to China, Hong Kong retains its autonomy in most areas and therefore would not be tied by an extradition agreement between Thailand and China.

'Hong Kong maintains its own legal regime relating to surrender of fugitive offenders under the Basic Law [Hong Kong's mini constitution],' said a government spokesman.

The FCC who is hosting the talk confirmed it was still going ahead as planned and that the event was a sell-out.

Thaksin will give a talk titled: 'Financial Crisis, Political Uncertainty: Lessons from Thailand.'

FCC President Ernst Head said Thaksin has been invited to speak because he was a public figure whose views were still of interest to the public.

Thaksin, ousted by a military coup in September 2006, has kept clear of Thailand after being sentenced last year over an incident when his wife successfully bid for government land while he was in office.

He has repeatedly said he would not get a fair trial in Thailand. He is a frequent visitor to Hong Kong and last year his youngest daughter bought a luxury home in the city worth around 5.7 million US dollars.

- DPA / 2009-02-27

char·la·tan

whoops,you did it,more fun,prk bareln ended 20 years ago,bettr get bac under yer rock,cool,now you-theyre their own wost enemy great show,it unravles fast now and we can see you for what you are,
no you are not naive,sorry if you felt that,just undereducated and under traveled and over moneyed,but this is enough for me,i need to go offer flowers and unto buddha and sing the mantra and wash dishes at temple as iv been taught so i herby hand this off to ...DW were are ya,yer missn some fun,

So 'animatic', you figure calling someone the text marked in bolt and red is not a flame against TVF rules?

Oh I agree the red highlights certainly fit.

Fight with reasoned arguments not personal invective.

Though sometimes reasoned argument can be considered flaming by those losing the battle.

Will be interesting to see who the lucky ticket holders are for this one.

Will Giles, Jakrapob and Veera have front row seats?

I think it's been reserved for a group of Elite Card holders who plan to inquire about a refund from Thaksin.

He best bring his little sign then.

No image available here. Go on SJ :o

char·la·tan

Oh I agree the red highlights certainly fit.

Fight with reasoned arguments not personal invective.

Though sometimes reasoned argument can be considered flaming by those losing the battle.

Well, it all what these PR guys can... there are simply no convincing arguments for promoting a come back of a convicted criminal, with a range of pending court cases, as a PM!

It's a grand Joke!

Not to lose it, they HAVE to BLAME anything, everything and anybody for anything as Abbhisit: "Concealing his wealth!" a Honda Car! It's very, very nutty, ehm' Nuttawut!

Lets see the census debate... and wait for the speech at a dinner at the "foreign correspondent club", some of them are so dumb and "well versed" in Thailand Affairs that some even believe his lies about "honest mistakes"!

Edited by Samuian

:o

Fobuff

Stalin with 97,9% of the votes

Mugabe with more than 75% of the votes

Governments in the former Eastern Europe where allected with at least 95% of the votes

do I have to continue?

I don't suppose Abhisit really wants him back in Thailand and it would probably be very difficult to extradite him from Hong Kong. But, since Thaksin has launched a big push to topple Abhisit and a no confidence debate is coming up, it would certainly be to Abhisit's advantage to initiate some sort of extradition proceedings there that would make it unsafe for Thaksin to travel to Hong Kong any more for fear of being detained. Hong Kong is about the last place in SE Asia, apart from Cambodia, that Thaksin can use as a political base. Singapore, the Chinese mainland, the Philippines and Malaysia have all made it clear that he is not welcome to engage in politics from their countries. Of all of these Hong Kong is the most suitable for him. It is only two and a half hours flying time from Bangkok, is relatively safe and has a British legal system which prevents any arbitrary legal action against him and Thai politicians and their families love all expense paid trips there for the shopping and the Chinese food (nearly all are ethnic Chinese). Cambodia, on the other hand is unsafe without rule of law and he would be dependant on the whims of Hun Sen and his cronies whose palms would need constant greasing. Dubai no doubt welcomes him to stay there and spend money but it has a despotic political system which makes it unsafe as a political base. His cronies would also not want to spend much time visiting him there as they have no interest in Arab and Islamic culture and the flight takes six hours usually on red eye flights. Japan and the UK have already banned Thaksin outright. The EU Schengen visa countries might follow the UK's lead and ban Thaksin en bloc and the US is also not safe, despite the odd pronouncement from the US ambassador to Thailand that Thaksin's visa has not been revoked. That doesn't mean he would be permitted to enter or that, if he did, he would be safe from extradition proceedings. Without Hong Kong Thaksin will stuck in Dubai not daring to conduct open political meetings. Other than that he will be down to tin pot countries in Latin America.

Of course you are correct they have no intention to bring him back to Thailand. Its just a very clever move to prevent him to use Hong Kong as an political base.

And maybe Thaksin hopes that they arrest hem and extradite him to Thailand. Because this will give him a podium to stir up the political situation and play the victim of injustice.

I think their is a political poker game going on.

...........edited.......

Of course you are correct they have no intention to bring him back to Thailand. Its just a very clever move to prevent him to use Hong Kong as an political base.

And maybe Thaksin hopes that they arrest hem and extradite him to Thailand. Because this will give him a podium to stir up the political situation and play the victim of injustice.

I think their is a political poker game going on.

Just read - believe it was in the Nation, that Hongkong already rebutted - not having a extradition treaty with thailand and having it's very special side-role under China...now this article has disappeared... I wonder!

Yes, it's a grand political poker, in the article was mentioned that his daughter just purchased property for 5.7 Mill. US$...

Wonder what he will tell the FJC .... it will be a grand sulking Soap operas a la TaxSin.. .. money is still doing the talking!

why dont they just lock this dude up . or something all he does is start trouble.if he had happend in the states soon as they kick him out. that would have been it. it wouldnt have been none this trying to get your peole in power stuff. even if they thought he was trying something like that he would be in big trouble. thailand must be the only place you can pull so shit like this .ps they almost mess up my trip last year. with this stuff but thank god they got in work out.iam talking about the airport

The US had 8 years Bush and his cronies, who robbed the country. Or did you forgot already the huge overpriced army contracts with civilian companies in the Iraq war and Afghanistan? When you hear the names Blackwater and Halliburton, are there no bells ringing?

Thanksin did more for Thailand than any other PM here. Don't believe the hype the new government has fed you.

FEW WORDS BUT SMART.... HE WAS THE ONLY ONE ANYONE CAN REMEMBER AS A PM.

One of the most wonderful things of TV forum is, that even the most idiotic remarks can be published. Anyhow its always good for a laugh.