Rudeness At Nong Khai

Today I was at the Nong Khai immigration office. I noticed the officers were particularly rude and unpleasant with the foreigners. I have been there several times but the rudeness was worse than before. Travelers having come a long way to Nong Khai were greeted with immediate hostile rude unfriendly words before they made the slightest mistake. Seems if they don't want foreigners they should find another method. I am going to fax the immigration office in Bangkok about it.

In my experience, not entirely "rude" but often rather "brusque". Don't blame them too much. It's a crappy job with low pay.

Over half of the times, when I smiled and greeted them, they don't return the courtesy, but at least they didn't give the reaming/interrogation I've encountered at some other places (twice when returning to the US).

Still, I'm inclined to think they treat farangs better than they treat the Laotians or Burmese (at least, that what I saw when I passed through NK).

Today I was at the Nong Khai immigration office. I noticed the officers were particularly rude and unpleasant with the foreigners...

Are you talking about the same immigration office as TJAN did 11 days ago:

Yes I go Nong kai and just went for the third year and they always treated me well...

--

Maestro

I visit Nong Khai Immigration office a few times/year and there is the dreaded man at the window who is particularly rude.

I once handed him a TM47 90 days form I brought from Bangkok: "FORM NO GOOD" he shouted throwing the paper on the ground.

Seems at Nong Khai they added some red stamps to their form invalidating all other forms including internet downloaded ones.

During my last visit early January the same happened to a farang sitting next to me, I was lucky to have an other officer dealing with my extension.

One year ago I had some problem with a re-entry stamp in a new passport and he told me I could not leave the country and he threw my passport meters away. Very nice behaviour indeed. He usually shouts at people.

They used to ask silly indecent questions to my wife, but it seems that ended now, anyway my wife refuses to answer such questions now, she usually stays on the waiting chairs and comes over when she sees there's no way out for her than to intervene.

And then we had the years when he manned the Udon Thani AEK Immigrtaion desk 2 days/week, just ask Udon farang residents what they felt!

We used to travel to soi Suan Phlu because of Nong Khai rude behaviour towards farangs, but nowadays we don't have any other choice anymore.

Even a friend who always claimed he was treated well at NK told me two weeks ago he intends to fill a complaint with Bangkok Immigration.

He does realise however that will be a waiste of time and effort.

As for the dreaded man at the window I hope he will drop dead from a heart attack at his desk sooner that later.

Dang, there are some hostilities and insecurities in Thailand. And a lot of jealousy over the perception that we're rich and want to dominate the world, I might add. I get the feeling that many people don't like us, but that most farang ignore that fact and go on as if nothing is happening. In my experience, I've encountered rude immigration jerk offs in most countries I've visited, but Thailand ranks high on the list for the most intimidating. People taking those jobs are usually not friendly happy campers wherever you go, but are jerks lacking social skills and empathy for others. Just ignore their negative attitude, abide by immigration laws, and whatever you do, don't lose your temper and shout at them. Defintely not in Thailand as it's too easy to get killed or imprisoned should you piss someone off or get on a shit list. At best, bad behavior will cost you money. Bots can't retaliate if not at home. Forget doing anything about all the poor scabs getting in your way.

Edited by RobotTeacher

Dang, there are some hostilities and insecurities in Thailand. And a lot of jealousy over the perception that we're rich and want to dominate the world, I might add. I get the feeling that many people don't like us, but that most farang ignore that fact and go on as if nothing is happening. In my experience, I've encountered rude immigration jerk offs in most countries I've visited, but Thailand ranks high on the list for the most intimidating. People taking those jobs are usually not friendly happy campers wherever you go, but are jerks lacking social skills and empathy for others. Just ignore their negative attitude, abide by immigration laws, and whatever you do, don't lose your temper and shout at them. Defintely not in Thailand as it's too easy to get killed or imprisoned should you piss someone off or get on a shit list. At best, bad behavior will cost you money. Bots can't retaliate if not at home. Forget doing anything about all the poor scabs getting in your way.

Robot Teacher, couldnt agree more, I have always hated NK Immigration, there is an old ugly old bat that enjoys the antagonistic approach, I guess she has seen her life pass her by and loathes to see the younger beautiful thai girl accompany a "farang"... I was looking for the "poison chocolate recipe" on line to enable fresh blood take over. Having said that The Bridge Immigration passing over to Laos have always been friendly and professional, had many a good laugh with those guys.

As for the dreaded man at the window I hope he will drop dead from a heart attack at his desk sooner that later.

I have only been here in Bangkok, and they act like government workers (can't spell the other word). I felt at their mercy when applying for my one year extension. Low pay, same stupid questions. They have to find some way to have fun.

One way to change all that(living in NK area)would be to change visa,get a non immigration O multy entry,or 60 day one,not far to go to vientiane,then you wont have to go to NK immigration for any 90 day report................thats if the guy is that bad.I remember going there myself on an immigration question and coming across this guy and yes he was n't particularly pleasant,and remember at the time thinking i was glad i did n't have to deal with him for 90 day reporting or visa extention.

I have used NK immi for 3 years now with no problems atall, i go there properly dressed, and clean shaved, normal haircut and nice looking clothes, i see some there with pony tails, legs and arms covered with mossie bites, t-shirt and shorts,60 + years old with a girl of 20 something, and the fella stinks like a gorrillas armpit,

Make the effort, tidy yourself up, present the papers that you filled in at the office, take your number card, sit down and wait, or like my mrs does, as soon as a seat is available she goes for it, theres always a few hundred bht tucked in the passport, i have never been in that office more than 20 mins,

Great place NK immi,

I have used NK immi for 3 years now with no problems atall, i go there properly dressed, and clean shaved, normal haircut and nice looking clothes, i see some there with pony tails, legs and arms covered with mossie bites, t-shirt and shorts,60 + years old with a girl of 20 something, and the fella stinks like a gorrillas armpit,

Make the effort, tidy yourself up, present the papers that you filled in at the office, take your number card, sit down and wait, or like my mrs does, as soon as a seat is available she goes for it, theres always a few hundred bht tucked in the passport, i have never been in that office more than 20 mins,

Great place NK immi,

..... they are in the minority, the farangs I see are very respectable and well dressed. not very intelligent mentioning bribes I would have thought, 6/7 years ago they were very sensitive about bribes! Yes it happens but better to not talk about it on an open forum :o

Great place NK immi,

Are you saying that those who do not correspond to your definition of "decency" should get the ugly treatment, but you who are always tip-top will be warmly welcomed by the man at the window (especially with some tea money hidden in your passport?)

I hope you carry a spray of perfume on you and use it profusely around you enabling you to have plenty of free seats in the waiting area :o

Great place NK immi,

So, in other words, if you primp yourself up like a dandy, and add some bribe money, you get treated decently. I expect Thai bureaucrats to be subjective to some degree, but...... Let's take it to the next level, bring a bouquet of flowers, a bottle of Johnny Walker, a box of chocolates, and don't forget to layer on the personal compliments ("oh, you're looking so handsome this morning") - sure to grease the gears for getting better service. Probably wouldn't hurt to shine the guy's shoes and rub some scented wax in his hair.

It gives a new perspective to 'assigned to an inactive post' ....an article to that effect is seen nearly every day in the newspapers. Well, those 'inactive posts' are not all basements in Bkk with a crossword puzzle on every one of the thousands of desks.

Please, no death wishes, okay?

We had one old biddy at la migra in Mexico, who literally reduced one of my friends to tears with her rude shouting. After that we brought her a few small bouquets of flowers, and she perked up. The other witch in Tapachula was mean also, but then the senior men took better care of me. As for Thailand, I have always gotten good to excellent service, with minor exceptions. It is a very tough job and some of us customers are rougher to deal with than corn cobs in the toilet.

"Make the effort, tidy yourself up..."

"So, in other words, if you primp yourself up like a dandy..."

Does that mean that taking a shower, combing your hair (assuming you have any) and wearing suitable clothing for the situation is not something you regularly do?

It's interesting to hear different experiences that people have with various immigration offices. The weird thing is that the "guy next to the window" at NK has never been more than courteous and helpful to me and my wife. Last year I arrived there for my extension just as they were finishing lunch and as he returned to the office the guy in question saw us sitting outside the waiting room, said hello, took my papers from me and when my number was called he'd already given them to another officer who'd finished processing them. I just dunno.

Today I was at the Nong Khai immigration office. I noticed the officers were particularly rude and unpleasant with the foreigners. I have been there several times but the rudeness was worse than before. Travelers having come a long way to Nong Khai were greeted with immediate hostile rude unfriendly words before they made the slightest mistake. Seems if they don't want foreigners they should find another method. I am going to fax the immigration office in Bangkok about it.

1) You don't go to a Thai Government Office dressed for the beach.Or you court trouble. :D

2)Many Thai Officials have an attitude(sometimes bordering on racism)against foreigners,not only Farang. :D

3)The officer in NongKhai Immigration is not always hostile,sometimes he's nearly friendly,gallbladder problems. :D

4)That said,last time,5 days ago,to make his point he gave me an English translation of the last Immigration order,of the 25 November,don;t remember the number,so full of of mistakes that,in my opinion was made in his Office;no Thai text of course.

Had to meet the boss and explain the problem.It will be resolved,she promised. :o

5)What is bad:all the other Officer in the Imm Office,being his junior,refers to him,so the problems with NongKhai will never end! :D