Bantam Chicken Sitting Query

Thomaspaul

About 1 week ago one of my Bantam Chicken started sitting

on 10 eggs 3 days later it became 11 and is now 12 eggs.

Is she still laying whilst she is sitting

or is one of the other 2 laying in the same place whilst the

sitting one takes her "10 minute" break

If the latter can put the other 2 in a seperate pen with the male

Thomas

About 1 week ago one of my Bantam Chicken started sitting

on 10 eggs 3 days later it became 11 and is now 12 eggs.

Is she still laying whilst she is sitting

or is one of the other 2 laying in the same place whilst the

sitting one takes her "10 minute" break

If the latter can put the other 2 in a seperate pen with the male

Thomas

Chickens and in particular ,bantams prefer to lay in a communal nest so I think it would be the others adding to the tally.

12 eggs is enough for a bantam to cover so I would separate them and leave her to sit in peace and wait for the population explosion in you flock in about 3 weeks time. :o

once they sit, they dont seem to ever get up off their eggs either for the 21 days...

have fun

bina

Bantams hatch earlier than large fowl; 18 days being the norm. If the mother to be doesn't get off the nest to relieve herself & eat / drink , best to lift her off once a day. I;ve had them die on the nest before through starvation / dehydration. Bantams tend to sit 'tighter' than larger fowl.

once they sit, they dont seem to ever get up off their eggs either for the 21 days...

have fun

bina

Bantams hatch earlier than large fowl; 18 days being the norm. If the mother to be doesn't get off the nest to relieve herself & eat / drink , best to lift her off once a day. I;ve had them die on the nest before through starvation / dehydration. Bantams tend to sit 'tighter' than larger fowl.

Thankyou Guys.for your answers. Heard Clucking 2 times this morning.

sitting hen has got off to feed and there are now 14 eggs there.

So are going to move others out. do not know which 2 eggs are the fresh ones

thomas

Our chickens are mixed. One older hen decided to lay eggs in a planter that is built around my wife's outside cooking area. There are big eggs and small eggs. There are white eggs and brown eggs. There are now 20 eggs in that nest and the older hen has decided that it is her nest and won't allow any of the other hens near it. It will be interesting to see just how many hatch. That hen growls like a dog if another hen comes near her nest.

The other chickens are laying eggs all over the place. I found an egg in the bed of my pickup truck. There are now four eggs on the floor of my tractor and seven eggs on a shelf in the garage. I put some straw against the house with a piece of roofing at an angle to shelter it. There are now eight eggs in it. Just like the Beverly Hillbillies. :o

we just gathered the eggs and placed them all at one time under a specific sitting hen... then u know for sure when u have a hatching, u can foster out eggs this way, even among other breeds and species (turkeys, ducks, etc).

anyone know how long a laying hen (the comercial stupid type) can lay (how many seasons if they stop laying winters. my two hens (third got dispatched by a fox/jackal) are about 2.5 yrs old, curious if they will still lay, or what... they will be awful as soup, and not sure that my kids will eat said soup either. and anon, though korat born and bred, doesnt really do 'dispatch' work, if he can get out of it.

bina

israel

My BIL has got an egg farm. 8000 hens. Keeps his chickens for 18 months, then changes the lot over in one go. He says the egg laying capacity declines after that. Your average run of the mill brooder could go on for years.

Regards.

• 9 months later...

in some breeds, and egg a day in the first years laying, then the second year they drop maybe as much as 50% and so on, they dont lay forever, that why the farmers change them after 18months, becouse dont forget they dont start to lay untill 16, 18 weeks old, jake