Passport Confiscated

I went the to Americam Embassy to renew my passport as it expires in June of this year. I was told I cannot travel to another country if I have less than 6 months remaining on my passport. So filled in the forms, made the long trip to the U.S. Embassy, paid the $75.00 for the new passport, submitted my papers and was told to have a seat. I noticed many people who came after me come and go. I was still sitting there. Finally after more than an hour my name was called. The clerk told me "sorry, sir, we have have to keep your passport for "administrative review." I replied, "why, is there a problem?" She responded, "I have no idea sir." I said, "how can I rent a hotel room without my passport?" - I was planning on staying in bangkok tonight." She replied, "sorry, sir, we have to keep your passport." I have lived here for 10 years, never been arrested, I just an English teacher. I had a similar experience 2 years ago when I went to the Embassy to have extra pages added to my passport. They held me for two hours. Eventually, the clerk came out and apolgized to me saying "we thought we had a 'hit' on your name but it turns out it wasn't you." I wonder if it's the same problem. Some computer glitch or something. In any event, it really bothersome. Anyone else ever had a similar problem?

Why start a new Thread??

I do not understand how anyone with a clear conscience would meekly allow a clerk in his own Countries' Embassy to confiscate his Passport without receiving a clear and acceptable reason.

Patrick

Have you read the "Brit faces two years jail"thread?Then you might understand,a swinging approach may not be the best.What was he going to do?"Give me back my passport,or else"?? :o Just hang in there,buddy,they can't keep it forever!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There might be a person with your exact same name, similar date of birth & some glinch in the system. Not very convienant for you. Have you ever had problems previously with vehicle licensing or registration, back home?

When I went back to the States for 6 weeks, in June and July of 2008, I took a domestic flight to see some relatives. When I checked in, the clerk acted strangely and disappeared for a while. When they finally returned, with a supervisor in-toe, they explained to me that someone with the same name as myself was wanted. They had me fill out a form that would supposedly help them immediately differentiate between me and this other guy in the future.

I have since taken 2-3 domestic flights within Thailand, having returned to work in September. Thus-far, I have had no problems or hassles. I know that this is a slightly different situation than yours, but it might help shed some light on one possibility for them holding your passport.

Have you gotten it back yet? Has there been a resolution?

You bring up a question I have been wondering about. If your passport is being held by your embassy for whatever reason (typically waiting for a new passport) how can you rent a hotel room?

or any other embassy, like in the case you applying for an albanian visa and you have to left your passport at the albanian embassy for a couple of days.

take out and keep the TM 6 immigration card. show it at the hotel registration desk. that should work.

I went the to Americam Embassy to renew my passport as it expires in June of this year. I was told I cannot travel to another country if I have less than 6 months remaining on my passport. So filled in the forms, made the long trip to the U.S. Embassy, paid the $75.00 for the new passport, submitted my papers and was told to have a seat. I noticed many people who came after me come and go. I was still sitting there. Finally after more than an hour my name was called. The clerk told me "sorry, sir, we have have to keep your passport for "administrative review." I replied, "why, is there a problem?" She responded, "I have no idea sir." I said, "how can I rent a hotel room without my passport?" - I was planning on staying in bangkok tonight." She replied, "sorry, sir, we have to keep your passport." I have lived here for 10 years, never been arrested, I just an English teacher. I had a similar experience 2 years ago when I went to the Embassy to have extra pages added to my passport. They held me for two hours. Eventually, the clerk came out and apolgized to me saying "we thought we had a 'hit' on your name but it turns out it wasn't you." I wonder if it's the same problem. Some computer glitch or something. In any event, it really bothersome. Anyone else ever had a similar problem?

Why start a new Thread??

I do not understand how anyone with a clear conscience would meekly allow a clerk in his own Countries' Embassy to confiscate his Passport without receiving a clear and acceptable reason.

Patrick

Page 5 of my US Passport clearly says "US Government Property....it must be surrendered upon demand of an authorized representative of the US Government". That would be Embassy personnel. I've been in a similar situation. Its all fine to sit at a computer and say "I'd kick their a**" ". Its a bit different standing at the window.

Edited by Netfan

And? What's the rest of the story?

Lets hope he didn't have a run in with the BIB, no PP and all, and ended up in IDC :D

Take it you like acronyms then... :o

Alphabet soup! No idea what on Earth is trying to be conveyed....

And? What's the rest of the story?

Lets hope he didn't have a run in with the BIB, no PP and all, and ended up in IDC :D

Take it you like acronyms then... :o

Alphabet soup! No idea what on Earth is trying to be conveyed....

Sorry about that!

It didn't occur to me at the time I wrote it.

Looking at it now, I totally agree, it looks like an alphabet quiz.

Back to the topic at hand, let's hope the guy come back and tell us what happened.

PS!

BIB = Boys In Brown aka Royal Thai Police

PP = Passport

IDC = Immigration Detention Center

Hope this helps

Morty

Edited by Morty

• 3 weeks later...