How Many People Have Extended A Tourist Visa (in Australia)

Hello,

My GF is here with me in Australia now, we applied for a 3 month tourist visa and there was no condition 8503 - no further stay, so we are going to try and extend her tourist visa by 6 months.

Anyone done this before? any idea on the success rate, should it be automaticaly granted? My reason is we plan to Marry at the end of this year, and want to stay together untill I can travel back to thailand with her.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

My GF is here with me in Australia now, we applied for a 3 month tourist visa and there was no condition 8503 - no further stay, so we are going to try and extend her tourist visa by 6 months.

Anyone done this before? any idea on the success rate, should it be automaticaly granted? My reason is we plan to Marry at the end of this year, and want to stay together untill I can travel back to thailand with her.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there..

What condition 8503 means

If condition 8503 has been imposed on your visa, it means you cannot apply for another visa or ask for your visa to be extended while you are in Australia. Once you depart Australia, condition 8503 will not prevent you from applying for other visas. So in answer to your question no, she must leave and then re apply... maybe come back on a fiancee visa next time.... Do make sure she leaves on time, this would be the cardinal immigration sin if she over stayed... Good luck and best wishes

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Hi there..

What condition 8503 means

If condition 8503 has been imposed on your visa, it means you cannot apply for another visa or ask for your visa to be extended while you are in Australia. Once you depart Australia, condition 8503 will not prevent you from applying for other visas. So in answer to your question no, she must leave and then re apply... maybe come back on a fiancee visa next time.... Do make sure she leaves on time, this would be the cardinal immigration sin if she over stayed... Good luck and best wishes

He said that it (8503) hadn't been imposed.

Regards

bridge

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Yes Patongster, I did that once before and it was no problem BUT at the same time I was able to show DIMA that we were actually travelling around in Australia, as a tourist would. I believe they like to see that the tourist visa is actually being used for the intended purpose of that visa. I was able to do this by showing photographs of travels completed as well as a future itenary for intended travels.

Edited by neverdie

My wife did the same thing I bought her over on 3 month tourist visa we also were going to get married and apply for fiance visa when we went back to thailand she stayed for an extra 4 months and we both went back together .

It sometimes takes a while but all they do is give you a bridging visa until the dept of immigration decide .

We are now happily married with one little 10 week old bambino.

Good luck with what ever you do just check with dept of immigration they will say yes or no but I think you will be lucky :o

My wife did the same thing I bought her over on 3 month tourist visa we also were going to get married and apply for fiance visa when we went back to thailand she stayed for an extra 4 months and we both went back together .

It sometimes takes a while but all they do is give you a bridging visa until the dept of immigration decide .

We are now happily married with one little 10 week old bambino.

Good luck with what ever you do just check with dept of immigration they will say yes or no but I think you will be lucky :o

Thanks for your reply, did you have to give them all the information again (pay slips etc), like when you were applying for a tourist visa? I have written up a stat dec explaining the situation.

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

apologies for that I mis read.... hopefully your lucky, wishing you all the best for your future happiness

Well I handed everything required into my local immigration office today and I will update this thread when I get the results. We applied for 6 months, and required a chest x-ray, because the intended stay is now over 3 months. The immigration officer did say "We can't guarantee 6 months" thats pretty much it, and asked my gf some questions about what she has been doing here in Ausrtalia.