Suzie Homemaker Posts Again!

Sheryl

One of the enduring mysteries of domestic life in Thaialnd, right up there with "why would anyone make -- or want to buy/use -- paper napkins that tiny?" and "why no top sheets?" is

Why are all the oven mitts available here too thin to do the job??

If anyone knows where to yproper oven mitts, i.e. ones that will not get my fingers burned anyhow, please let me in on this secret......!!!

Ohh Slheryl, you must have a real oven! What luxury. Not only having an oven, but having an airconditioned kitchen so that it's tolerable to use an oven. We just have a little toaster oven in our tiny Thai kitchen and we don't want to leave it on for longer than toasting bread.

I actually brought my potholders with me from the U.S., but they were ones I'd made as a weaving project. I've never liked oven mitts. It seems like too much trouble to take them on and off all the time.

Ooh, casserole :o

I have an oven but mainly use it for baking cake and cookies. I have oven mitts from Thailand but don't put my hands in them as I am with Nancy, I find them annoying. I just double them up and move carefully :D

Yes, I have a real oven. And I frequently cook in it rather than fry, e.g. when preparing the dog's food (Dr. Dog etc) because it's less work than standing there stirring....

And I have arms full of burn scars courtesy of Thai "oven mitts" :o

I seem to recall seeing those small square looms for weaving potholders here in Thailand someplace. A sewing/knitting/crafts shop? They really do make some of the best potholders!

If in BKK you might check for silicone potholders. I discovered the sad lack of decent potholders early enough to have my husband bring me three silicone ones when he came over. They are infinitely washable and much more sanitary than the rest. Mine are a couple of inches larger than ideal. I suppose I could trim them to a better size.

all the oven mitts i have are also pretty but thin and useless; i go with the doubled up towel group, but then, we only use a toaster oven, the big oven died five years ago and we only use it for the gas range and the inside oven as pan storage... good that i have a thai husband that doesnt need cake for shabbat evenings....

bina

israel

I seem to recall seeing those small square looms for weaving potholders here in Thailand someplace. A sewing/knitting/crafts shop? They really do make some of the best potholders!

If in BKK you might check for silicone potholders. I discovered the sad lack of decent potholders early enough to have my husband bring me three silicone ones when he came over. They are infinitely washable and much more sanitary than the rest. Mine are a couple of inches larger than ideal. I suppose I could trim them to a better size.

ANy idea where in Bangkok?

Silicone potholders are news to me but I'll certainly look into them, if I can find them. Off hand don't recall seeing potholders anywhere around, period. A complete mystery, after all even cooking on the stove top can burn you.

Reason I prefer oven mitts (real ones!) is they also protect the wrist and lower arms, I get a bit absent-minded (read: klutzy) when cooking sometimes.....

If I remembered where I had seen the potholder weaving looms I would have mentioned a specific place. Sorry, Sheryl. I noticed the looms because I like them, but I didn't note the location because I couldn't foresee ever needing to buy one, as I have the silicone pot holders. You might check Villa, they carry some silicone bakeware.

sounds like you need more than oven mits. Sheryl. i think you need an asbestos suit! :D

:o:D:D you got that right....

Thanks for the offer SBK but I'll be making a trip back to US myself this summer so will stock up then. It's not urgent, I've been burning my hadns/arms etc for years now...I just can't help but wonder why anyone would make oven mitts that don't do the job.

But then, I also can't figure out wht anyone would want microscopically small and thin napkins.

Mysteries of Tha life.

I have an oven but the only thing it's been used for so far, is hanging my oven mitt...

It just seems silly to me to heat up the whole condo when I can use a steam oven (table top oven) instead.

When I renovated this condo, I didn't want to put an oven in at all but was nudged by the contractor. It made sense at the time, but due to the heat issues, that lovely oven has still not been turned on.

Btw - I purchased my oven mitt in the UK. It's one of those long contraptions (hands on each side of a long bit, so it hangs easily on an oven rail)

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I seem to have stumbled into an alternate reality. Napkins?

I thought a bog roll with the tube pulled out was Hi So!

Maybe doubled up and formed into an origami swan type thing for those very special occasions.

Kids bought me one of those double handed oven mitts years ago in Australia for my birthday. Great invention!!

Lay them over the arms of the sofa...smokes and lighter in one hand pocket thingy....TV and video remote in the other. Never lost them again. Obviously invented by a man.