True Visions/ubc Tv Waste Of Money

GREGORYNINE

OK, so you chuck UBC and then what ? In places like Pattaya you have a cable option. Most places do not.

If I want to download something then I have to waste time to find it, then wait forever to get it downloaded. I also have to pay for the best internet speed I can. That cost is about the equivalent of the UBC cost in itself. So financially, there is no real argument.

The fact is that it is not cheap. It is crap but it is all there is. At Bt2000 it is the equivalent of £40 which I guess is about a top rate Sky package in the UK.

I know that if you can be bothered, you can go the whole internet / computer thing and have a XYZ terabyte HD and have a meg speed (for LOS) internet connection and download all the high def stuff and have it available on a home network feeding through into your mega plasma telly and surround sound system etc. The thing is that to justify all that you have to be programming the dam_n thing everyday to download stuff and spend your entire life watching it !

In the end, I think you're better off with UBC.

as much as i hate UBC. i think your reply to the thread has some good facts!

each to their own i guess, but i still think the UBC has a totally wrong business model when it comes to their pricing. A typical "let's keep prices high cause we don't have enough customers". oh well...

They don't have enough customers because they are broadcasting in foreign language. Also don't forget that they are broadcasting foreign programs - movies, sports, sitcoms, soaps etc.

The number of people here who would pay for watching foreign stuff in foreign language is limited.

They have room to adjust their packages to target specific groups, like Premier League betters, but it's limited nevertheless.

TrueVisions/UBC signal definitely has a lot to desire (i.e., interference, rainfade, etc) and their service is generally pricey, especially for their Platinum service (which I have). I had a box fail within two months of getting the service and there is consistent signal interference. Maybe the interference is due to the part of Bangkok I live in, but regardless, its interference and degrades the signal reception/quality. I will have to say that customer service has been very good on the occasions I called them...just wish their TV show/movie lineup and signal quality was much better (and cheaper). I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for a better service to come along....then again, maybe I should just cancel TrueVisions and let the wife watch the Channel 3 & 7 soap shows using rabbit ear antennas. :-)

• 1 month later...

My UBC box has thrown the code of the devil at me:

20042009057.th.jpg

I've had it with UBC many times already but there really isn't a good alternative (at least that I know of). Tmr the UBC guy will come over and replace the box, which in 2 months time he will have to replace again....

Is anybody in Bangkok using Livestation? If so, what kind of internet package are you on? I get the message "stream unavailable" for every channel I pull up on Livestation. I can't recall my True internet package that I'm currently on, but it was the best one when I signed up like 4+ years ago, so it's probably the worst one now... time for an upgrade for sure, but I'd like to know which packages are actually good. Thanks.

Who needs TV when you have the internet? I don't even have a TV in my house. Thanks to hispeed Adsl, I can watch just about everything on the web, including live sports. Better to save the extra $$ for a new computer.

Now, if I could get American TV in Thailand (not satellite, but the kind you get in the States), I might consider investing in a television set.

Just my $.02

Who needs TV when you have the internet? I don't even have a TV in my house. Thanks to hispeed Adsl, I can watch just about everything on the web, including live sports. Better to save the extra $$ for a new computer.

Now, if I could get American TV in Thailand (not satellite, but the kind you get in the States), I might consider investing in a television set.

Just my $.02

I keep recommending on here. AppleTV with US Itunes Account and cheap itune cards say from itunesvendor.us and your good to go to buy the latest movies / rent the latest movies / Buy your favourite TV shows (Same day episode is aired in the usa). Not to mention in much better quality than UBC broadcasts at - and if you want HD content - you just get the HD version.

Waiting time after ordering a movie before it is FULLY watchable with a 2mb TOT adsl connection is around 4mins from the time you order - then its dvd quality viewing without stuttering / hiccups or pauses.

Youtube / podcasts also available for you to search/browse through on your tv. Those who have not tried it are truly missing out.

And of course stream your music and control the whole thing from your iphone through the "Wife" friendly interface. If your on Platinum UBC the 2000thb a month buys a lot of content on appleTV.

UBC forget it

Who needs TV when you have the internet?

Perhaps the 99% of the Thai population who cannot get broadband to watch anything but TV. Like Torrenova said earlier, TrueTV sucks but there is no easier or better choice- all the other cable TV is worse still and only in Bangkok can one use broadband to any degree, and pretty crap it is too, whereas up country just getting online and staying online is still a dream. I should know, it took me 30minutes to get online again to send this darned reply!

The TrueVisions/UBC service/farang programming is pretty weak (and expensive). Personally, I'm looking forward to the day a competitor(s) comes along which provides better programming and cheaper service; that competitor will eventually arrive and I'll be switching in a second!

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, it's been a couple years since this thread...& now it's my time to look for football/soccer to some...online.

Has anyone recently tried again to watch live and pre-recorded matches online with any success?

Mainly looking for Premier League matches.

Has anyone had any success with higher Gigabyte home service?

We have the base Internet package at home from our phone company. Downloading can be from crap to pretty good. Last night, left the laptop downloading the new MacOSX Lion. almost 4Gb & finished it overnight...I was surprised coz when i left it at midnight after couple hours of downloading...it said it still needed another 22 hours!!

OK, so you chuck UBC and then what ? In places like Pattaya you have a cable option. Most places do not.

If I want to download something then I have to waste time to find it, then wait forever to get it downloaded. I also have to pay for the best internet speed I can. That cost is about the equivalent of the UBC cost in itself. So financially, there is no real argument.

The fact is that it is not cheap. It is crap but it is all there is. At Bt2000 it is the equivalent of £40 which I guess is about a top rate Sky package in the UK.

I know that if you can be bothered, you can go the whole internet / computer thing and have a XYZ terabyte HD and have a meg speed (for LOS) internet connection and download all the high def stuff and have it available on a home network feeding through into your mega plasma telly and surround sound system etc. The thing is that to justify all that you have to be programming the dam_n thing everyday to download stuff and spend your entire life watching it !

I disagree.

internet connection 600 thb 10MB true in Bangkok.

seedbox 500 thb

overplay vpn 500 thb

these costs are monthly, and i am still ahead of the game over using Truevisions.

I would also like to point out that i was paying for the internet on top of truevisions anyways, so for 1000thb per month i have replaced truevisions entirely.

I can watch hulu on demand, BBC iplayer or choose to download content i actually want to see. better yet i get to watch it when i want to see it.

my seedbox can download a 4gb file in about 15 minutes. From there Free Download Manager brings the file down to my hardisk via secure ftp at the maximum my connection supports.

generally speaking i can be watching something within an hour and a half of starting the download. for things like top gear or 720p tv shows i can have them down and playing in about 30 mins.

I belong to a number of private trackers and searching for material is no hardship. 20 mins in the morning and more than I could hope to watch is on my mediaplayer by evening.

to make it even cheaper the seedbox and vpn costs are shared between 2 of us, though that is simply because we have similar tastes, so even if i havent lined something up, chances are the other person has.

that said, I often just read a book, because, well, books are good.

I disagree.

internet connection 600 thb 10MB true in Bangkok.

seedbox 500 thb

overplay vpn 500 thb

these costs are monthly, and i am still ahead of the game over using Truevisions.

I would also like to point out that i was paying for the internet on top of truevisions anyways, so for 1000thb per month i have replaced truevisions entirely.

I can watch hulu on demand, BBC iplayer or choose to download content i actually want to see. better yet i get to watch it when i want to see it.

my seedbox can download a 4gb file in about 15 minutes. From there Free Download Manager brings the file down to my hardisk via secure ftp at the maximum my connection supports.

generally speaking i can be watching something within an hour and a half of starting the download. for things like top gear or 720p tv shows i can have them down and playing in about 30 mins.

I belong to a number of private trackers and searching for material is no hardship. 20 mins in the morning and more than I could hope to watch is on my mediaplayer by evening.

to make it even cheaper the seedbox and vpn costs are shared between 2 of us, though that is simply because we have similar tastes, so even if i havent lined something up, chances are the other person has.

that said, I often just read a book, because, well, books are good.

If you don't mind me asking, what seedbox are you using?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Your wish is just a month away starting with PPV movies and ASN.....

The TrueVisions/UBC service/farang programming is pretty weak (and expensive). Personally, I'm looking forward to the day a competitor(s) comes along which provides better programming and cheaper service; that competitor will eventually arrive and I'll be switching in a second!