Thailand Toilet Regulations

bensalu

Guest Reimar

Maybe there should be also an instruction for Thai People how to use "westerners" Toilets! Many time you can see the "footprints" on the seating of westerner toilets!

Cheers.

post-41434-1235887740_thumb.jpg

This has always been the case with Thai style toilets. Nothing new. Good on the VN Guesthouse for posting the "instructions" in clear English.

At the Times Square building at Asoke in Bangkok they have western style "sit down" toilets but still use the small gage piping. Each floor has a restroom with numerous conspicuously posted signs asking the foreigners to use the waste bin for toilet paper but they are routinely ignored and hence at any time at least one of the three toilets (if not more) in each restroom is stopped up.

Guest Reimar
Here's a sign I saw on the underside of a toilet seat in Big C Pattaya the other day.

post-7683-1235889091_thumb.jpg

Is this the sort of thing you meant, Reimar?

Yes it's that!!

I particularly liked the reference to 'Smell' , by putting used toilet paper and sani-pads in the bin 'smell' is eliminated !! Have you ever taken note of Thai aim for a simple thing like an ATM reciept ? 2 in the bin provided and 22 on the floor !!!!!! The total epitome of hygene in the toilet , at least in the jungle they dig a hole and when they are finished , cover the whole disaster over with dirt .Now do not get excited and fire off at me with all barrels available , just slowly peruse the 'Rules ' again and give the matter some real thought . :o

Here's a sign I saw on the underside of a toilet seat in Big C Pattaya the other day.

post-7683-1235889091_thumb.jpg

Is this the sort of thing you meant, Reimar?

There should also be an accompanying sign : There's no use standing on the seat because the crabs in here can jump 6 feet.

I particularly liked the reference to 'Smell' , by putting used toilet paper and sani-pads in the bin 'smell' is eliminated !! Have you ever taken note of Thai aim for a simple thing like an ATM reciept ? 2 in the bin provided and 22 on the floor !!!!!! The total epitome of hygene in the toilet , at least in the jungle they dig a hole and when they are finished , cover the whole disaster over with dirt .Now do not get excited and fire off at me with all barrels available , just slowly peruse the 'Rules ' again and give the matter some real thought . :o

So which would smell worse: 1.) A waste bin with dirty toilet paper in it. or 2.) A toilet that has stopped up overflowed and spilled shit all over the floor?

should have instructions on 'aiming'...that was the thing I first had problems with.

The instructions could be as follows : It's our aim to keep these toilets clean, your aim will most definitely help.

signs in english in thai toilets can be very misleading - in the Sai Thai (the southern bus therminal in west Bangkok) there is a mens bathroom in the carpark, where there are payed gates for going in with a sign "out". The proper "in" gates often don't turn and confused bloated tourists are send to the disabled toilet the next door - personell speaks only thai-lao, and so far they did figure out something is here wrong.

because they are irritated and rude, nobody explained to them what their mistake is.

Maybe there should be also an instruction for Thai People how to use "westerners" Toilets! Many time you can see the "footprints" on the seating of westerner toilets!

Cheers.

I was caught short in a shopping mall in Trang once and had to used the (western style) toilet. No one was in there when I went in. I then heard some scuffling from the cubicle next to me and looked up and there was a thai peering over the wall :o looking at me.

Geuss he really wanted to know how to use the western style!

So which would smell worse: 1.) A waste bin with dirty toilet paper in it. or 2.) A toilet that has stopped up overflowed and spilled shit all over the floor?

That sir is a typical 'Thainess' kind of question , build the toilet with sufficient drainage pipe in the first instance . As long as Wanabees keep this kind of thinking up , little will be done to improve many things that could and would enhance the general Thai life-style . I left Thailand because of this retrograde stye of (Non)thinking , wait till it falls on some-ones head before you even consider any preventative maintainance , you live with it , after 7 years I just threw up my hands . You simply pick the best of two bad scenarios , I was educated quite differently than this . you have joined the Thai 'LAZY-BRIGADE' , live with it , I am not prepared to do so .

That sir is a typical 'Thainess' kind of question , build the toilet with sufficient drainage pipe in the first instance . As long as Wanabees keep this kind of thinking up , little will be done to improve many things that could and would enhance the general Thai life-style . I left Thailand because of this retrograde stye of (Non)thinking , wait till it falls on some-ones head before you even consider any preventative maintainance , you live with it , after 7 years I just threw up my hands . You simply pick the best of two bad scenarios , I was educated quite differently than this . you have joined the Thai 'LAZY-BRIGADE' , live with it , I am not prepared to do so .

Yes, we are used to your comments against Thais, whilst living in Cambodia and posting all over TV :D

And that sir is a typical childish reply that one might expect from an 8 year old. The subject deals with Thai style toilets that are already installed. How does using common sense and not flushing toilet paper and sanitary napkins down a toilet so it won't get stopped up and overflow make me a "wannabe" or lazy? By constantly plugging up the toilets do you think that will force them to replace the piping in the entire building? Grow a brain douche bag. To use your own terminology you have officially joined the "RETARD-BRIGADE". You can overflow the toilets and stand in the shit all you want too, live with it, but I am not prepared to do so.

Yes, we are used to your comments against Thais, whilst living in Cambodia and posting all over TV :D

JD , you seem to be losing your usual educated thinking in regards to posts , I was not talking against Thai , more for them , Thainess is a Western state of mind taken on by those who have succumbed to the easy way out , i.e leave it until tomorrow , a day that never comes , a typical Thai trait from my personal experience . Long time expats refer to this state of mind as having become imbedded in the Thai culture , I refer to that as 'Taking the easy way out ' , many things discussed on TV have nothing to do with culture , more to do with how to do less for more . I could give the obvious example about an hours work (?) for a days pay , just send money home , but I will refrain from so doing . Few posters get into a reasonable debate any more , they slide into inuendos and rhetoric , pointing fingers at all countries of the world in an endeavor to diminish the foibles of what is , in fact a great country , being destroyed by the (MIS)behavior of both its citzens and governments(?) . I moved to Cambodia for this pertinant reason , not the country so much as the people whom occupy it , I have not regretted my move in any way shape or form , I miss little that the Thai have to offer , I have become to accept that most of that which is readily available in Thailand , is in fact superflous to everyday contented living . :D

And that sir is a typical childish reply that one might expect from an 8 year old. The subject deals with Thai style toilets that are already installed. How does using common sense and not flushing toilet paper and sanitary napkins down a toilet so it won't get stopped up and overflow make me a "wannabe" or lazy? By constantly plugging up the toilets do you think that will force them to replace the piping in the entire building? Grow a brain douche bag. To use your own terminology you have officially joined the "RETARD-BRIGADE". You can overflow the toilets and stand in the shit all you want too, live with it, but I am not prepared to do so.

Please read my later post , it is in no way difficult or expensive to upgrage the drainage ststem , just had it done in my Cambodian apartment , the people are not averse here to things that will IMPROVE life style , stay in Thailand , they need your retrograde methology . Oh , by the way , keep a douche bag on hand , you may need it when some uneducated , non listening , unable to read retard sticks a sanitary pad in the toilet , think , prevention is light years ahead of a shity outcome , you could of course just wear rubber boots , beats thinking I imagine .

Western toilets - Thai style toilets. You adapt in time ... I needed to do Number 2 a couple of months ago at a Bangkok toilet in a shopping mall - only to discover no toilet paper (or bum gun) inside the cubicle.

Fortunately, my (male) friend pointed out to me that toilet paper (really about a dozen Kleenex facial tissues) was available for sale for 5 baht.

Peter

Not all ways the case the Toilet at your Friendly Tesco Lotus, Big C, do not alway have that little hose to watch your private part, best make sure you have some paper in pocket, some toilet don't even have paper, let along water hose to watch your private part, Thailand, please join the rest of the world in th3 21st Century. I am sure all the International Air Port Toilets are up to standard, if not it could be a big bit out of Thailand bid to be a regional Hub in Asia. :o:D

Western toilets - Thai style toilets. You adapt in time ... I needed to do Number 2 a couple of months ago at a Bangkok toilet in a shopping mall - only to discover no toilet paper (or bum gun) inside the cubicle.

Fortunately, my (male) friend pointed out to me that toilet paper (really about a dozen Kleenex facial tissues) was available for sale for 5 baht.

Peter

Expensive! It's normally 2 baht!

I hate going to places with no 'bum gun' now, and I always have a small pack of tissue with me!

and more bigoted anti-Thai remarks from Dumball (but I guess he really does think he knows best and that every major building needs to be retrofitted!)

Many countries throughout the world have made upgrades over the years , not just drainage sysyems , fire prevention and customer safety , bill boards that fall willy-nilly , honorable warranty procedures , health and welfare standards , unemployment benefits , retirement pensions and a whole host of other things like child wefare , decent education for all , get your heads out of the sand , there is a real world out there .

and more bigoted anti-Thai remarks from Dumball (but I guess he really does think he knows best and that every major building needs to be retrofitted!)

Many countries throughout the world have made upgrades over the years , not just drainage sysyems , fire prevention and customer safety , bill boards that fall willy-nilly , honorable warranty procedures , health and welfare standards , unemployment benefits , retirement pensions and a whole host of other things like child wefare , decent education for all , get your heads out of the sand , there is a real world out there .

Says the guy in Cambodia .... where you take your life in your own hands should you wander off a path! Let's hear it for a guy living in a much more backward country than Thailand taking shots at the Thai people all the time! hip Hip Hooray!

Peter

Expensive! It's normally 2 baht!

I hate going to places with no 'bum gun' now, and I always have a small pack of tissue with me!

The 'bum gun' is certainly an aspect of the Thai toilet system that is superior to the US toilet system... at least in the restrooms where one is available.

Says the guy in Cambodia .... where you take your life in your own hands should you wander off a path! Let's hear it for a guy living in a much more backward country than Thailand taking shots at the Thai people all the time! hip Hip Hooray!

See what i mean , if you have no coherant response flame or denigrate , you have little to no knowledge of what you speak , Cambodia is emerging at a far faster rate than Thailand , in fact Thailand has become retrograde , live with that fact and the retrograded level of your once intelligent thinking , I did not take shots at Thai people , just your miserable misinterpretation of the written word , you are slowely turning into an ignoramous of your own making , you have lots of good(?) company , may I wish you the best , you are not as bad as you come across as these days , I used to enjoy your posts , not the slime you deliver on a steady basis these days discussion(?) with you abhorted due to incoherance .

... build the toilet with sufficient drainage pipe in the first instance ...

I agree -that is precisely the main problem with Thai designed western style toilets. Even the exit pipe of the toilet bowl is far too small for western stools - long, firm and thick. It takes a lot of practice and good timing to get a western stool to flush straight (being the operative word) down the pipe.

Interesting subject, although I'm glad I've already eaten my tea.

... build the toilet with sufficient drainage pipe in the first instance ...

I agree -that is precisely the main problem with Thai designed western style toilets. Even the exit pipe of the toilet bowl is far too small for western stools - long, firm and thick. It takes a lot of practice and good timing to get a western stool to flush straight (being the operative word) down the pipe.

Interesting subject, although I'm glad I've already eaten my tea.

deleted

Edited by Birdman

Peter

No need to buy toilet paper in the Thai toilets, there's always plenty available for free in the little bins next to the thunderbox.

No need to buy toilet paper in the Thai toilets, there's always plenty available for free in the little bins next to the thunderbox.

And already pre-moistened :o Cheaper than wet-wipes :D

Edited by Crossy