Indian Food Can Be Made Better

MRaina

Why is Indian food so oily?

Most all of the dishes have almost 1/4 cup of oil and a ton of salt. It nearly drowns out the vegetables and spices and other ingredients in the dish. Why is this? Is this restaurant Indian food standard, or how Indian cuisine is in general?

It tastes MUCH better and fresher when made with minimal oil and salt, so the ingredients of the dish are actually balanced. I never liked Indian food until I learned that the dishes can be ordered cleaner.

Of the restaurants in Bangkok, Mrs. Balbir's makes a good set of dishes if no salt-no oil is requested. Many of the other restaurants don't listen to special orders, even when placed on delivery order by ChefsXP or FoodbyPhone. On that note, Himali ChaCha seems to be a bit overrated. They also didn't follow instruction to make cleaner dishes when ordered from there.

well even i am not happy with the way indian restaurants in bkk prepare their food,yes it can be made more cleaner but what you have to do is contact manager directly,because staff in bangkok are from burma not india,and they are not educated also,so just contact manager and problem solved

BTW i am indian too

Most all of the dishes have almost 1/4 cup of oil and a ton of salt. It nearly drowns out the vegetables and spices and other ingredients in the dish. Why is this? Is this restaurant Indian food standard, or how Indian cuisine is in general?

It tastes MUCH better and fresher when made with minimal oil and salt, so the ingredients of the dish are actually balanced. I never liked Indian food until I learned that the dishes can be ordered cleaner.

Of the restaurants in Bangkok, Mrs. Balbir's makes a good set of dishes if no salt-no oil is requested. Many of the other restaurants don't listen to special orders, even when placed on delivery order by ChefsXP or FoodbyPhone. On that note, Himali ChaCha seems to be a bit overrated. They also didn't follow instruction to make cleaner dishes when ordered from there.

real good indian food is not prepared with oil but with "ghee" (clarified butter). what one is generally experiencing in Thailand are cheap charly indian restaurants which use oil because their cheap charly (mostly farang) customers are not willing to pay for good and tasty food.

thanks for not listening :o

real good indian food is not prepared with oil but with "ghee" (clarified butter). what one is generally experiencing in Thailand are cheap charly indian restaurants which use oil because their cheap charly (mostly farang) customers are not willing to pay for good and tasty food.

Correctamundo. But I'd disagree with your assertion that most people aren't willing to pay top dollar, since they do anyway. Prices here are outrageous for Indian food, and that includes the crap stuff (which is most of it). I'd agree with the earlier comment about Mrs Balbir's. The best I've found so far in BKK...

Actually, I find that Indian dishes can be made wonderfully tasty without ghee. Cooking without ghee (if done properly) also results in lighter, healthier food. Of course ghee is more old school, so are coronaries at 40.

Ghee - Used across the Indian subcontinent, ghee is clarified butter, which can be heated to a high temperature without burning. It's often used at special celebrations such as wedding feasts and prayer meetings. Because it's so indulgent, vegetable oil is the preferred cooking medium for everyday meals, and is a healthier option.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_i...sentials1.shtml

That said, what oil are Indian restaurants in Thailand using? Palm? Not my idea of cooking light and healthy.

Edited by Jingthing

Proper ghee is very low on cholesterol and can last for a long time at a room temperature. Of course it makes for a fatty food that should be avoided, but I'm not sure at all that palm/vegetable oils are better in any way. They certainly don't taste or smell like ghee.

Practically all Bangkok restaurants advertise rich and opulent Northern Indian and Muglai food for maharajas (muslim maharajas!?!) with identical recepies and taste, heavy on oil and cheese, that's their signature.

Try South Indian restaurants instead, though they tend to be smaller simpler shops, there are quite a few in the sois around Hindu temple on Silom.

I know only one presentable South Indian restaurant on Sukhumwit, forgot its name, somewhere in soi 13 or 15. Then there's a dirty "fast food" joint used to be called Kamala in soi 18 or 20.

Slightly off topic but the best indian food I've ever had was in Burma (Yes Burma, not Myanmar). But I've never been to India :D .

But seriously the indian food in Burma was the best I've had anywhere in the world. Not much oil or salt at all either. Just fresh, tasty flavours :o and about 5 dishes for next to nothing - cheap cheap. For the equivalent in BKK you'd be paying some serious baht!

I agree. Modern and good Indian food does not need to taste oily or ghee-ey but in Thailand it often is heavy as a brick. My favorite Indian food has been in the US at places frequented almost exclusively by Indians, and NOT using ghee. You leave feeling healthy and enriched with spices, not ready to take a long nap. My feeling just based on talking to Indian restaurant people in the US is that the trend in MODERN Indian cooking is NO GHEE. Of course, that is way oversimplified and the REGION of the Indian cooking makes a big difference. What I mean by that is that I am sure some dishes from some regions would need ghee to really taste authentic in the same way that some Mexican food must use lard to really taste authentic, on the other hand, tasting authentic isn't everything ...

Bottom line, I do think the general standard of Indian food in Thailand is quite poor and the prices way too high for the quality you get. But I don't think the problem is ghee.

Edited by Jingthing

My feeling just based on talking to Indian restaurant people in the US is that the trend in MODERN Indian cooking is NO GHEE.

I wonder if it's a genuine trend or that Indians don't have proper ghee anymore. It's kind of home made product, like pasta sauce, while they get in cans, made out of god knows what, perhaps buffalo milk. So is most of their panir (fresh cheese), I heard, luckily we don't have it locally, they just import their canned ghee.

That stuff is probably no better than generic vegetable oil, hence the trend to save the price, canned ghee is simply not worth it.

Every restaurant here serves canned sweets, too - ubiquitous gulabjamuns and ras malais. They have no taste whatsoever.

Which self-respecting western/Thai restaurant would serve canned deserts? Fawlty Towers?

Having said that, I think Indian here is good for what it is, but not for variety or health consciousness.

I find yogi's observation that most of the staff are Burmese interesting. In Burma curries are covered in a thick layer of oil to keep off the flies. They're prepared in the morning and served throughout the day. Could it be that the cooks are adapting Indian curries to a Burmese tradition?

Correctamundo. But I'd disagree with your assertion that most people aren't willing to pay top dollar, since they do anyway. Prices here are outrageous for Indian food, and that includes the crap stuff (which is most of it). I'd agree with the earlier comment about Mrs Balbir's. The best I've found so far in BKK...

I walked by Mrs. Balbir's on Sukhumvit 11/1 today. It was empty with a sign in the window saying that they are moving across and down the street next to the Business Inn. No indication of when the move will be complete.

I know only one presentable South Indian restaurant on Sukhumwit, forgot its name, somewhere in soi 13 or 15. Then there's a dirty "fast food" joint used to be called Kamala in soi 18 or 20.

Dosa King which has entrances on both Sukhumvit Soi 11 and 11/1 serves vegetarian South Indian cuisine (hence the Dosas). It's an excellent restaurant IMHO. Even if you're not in the mood for an entire meal go in and order the homemade Indian coconut ice cream with fruit, a butter dosa and a Marsala Chai tea with milk. These are obviously not the most healthy items on a menu that has mostly healthy choices but if you're in the mood for something sweet you'll love it.

I'd agree with the earlier comment about Mrs Balbir's. The best I've found so far in BKK...

I walked by Mrs. Balbir's on Sukhumvit 11/1 today. It was empty with a sign in the window saying that they are moving across and down the street next to the Business Inn. No indication of when the move will be complete.

An update on Mrs. Balbir's. It has now reopened in a completely renovated and redecorated building just inside of Sukhumvit Soi 11/1 on he east side of the Soi. In my previous post I said they were moving to the other side of the street. I was incorrect. Sorry.

thanks for not listening :o

Why would Indian food be more expensive than thai food? Its basicaly the same ingredients?

Except some Japanese and some Chinese like shark fin, asian food is cheap yes?

Q. Why would Indian food be more expensive than thai food? Its basicaly the same ingredients?

Because all the restaurants around here (especially in silom) engage in highway robbery and are basically food terrorists. I refrain nowadays as im sick of paying 300+ baht for something not much better than a frozen dinner from 7/11...and then get a hefty "tip" added to the bill...In most cases (it doesnt matter if you order beef,chicken or pork) you will be lucky to find three or four pieces of meat floating in half a cup of lazy, tired and uninspired,underspiced slop..

Yes, the spices can be dear to import,cost of ghee huge, the cost and process of slow cooking, as well as higher cost of meat been considered, but from my experience its all pretty much lazy and uninspired work.

i could produce a better product myself for about 60 baht per serve and thats with a decent amount of meat

In general, Indian food is not good value in Thailand. There are a few Indian buffet places in Pattaya at the 200 baht level that are mostly visited by Indians. It is not high class food, but it is authentically Indian and has the standard Indian spices, and they can afford to do all you can eat for 200 baht including all the meat, curries, raita, condiments, and nan you can eat, so I would agree there is something fishy about the "spices are so expensive" excuse. If a place had a top class chef, the chef would be expensive, but those typical crappy 300 baht curry places don't have top class chefs.

Edited by Jingthing

Q. Why would Indian food be more expensive than thai food? Its basicaly the same ingredients?

Because all the restaurants around here (especially in silom) engage in highway robbery and are basically food terrorists. I refrain nowadays as im sick of paying 300+ baht for something not much better than a frozen dinner from 7/11...and then get a hefty "tip" added to the bill...In most cases (it doesnt matter if you order beef,chicken or pork) you will be lucky to find three or four pieces of meat floating in half a cup of lazy, tired and uninspired,underspiced slop..

Yes, the spices can be dear to import,cost of ghee huge, the cost and process of slow cooking, as well as higher cost of meat been considered, but from my experience its all pretty much lazy and uninspired work.

i could produce a better product myself for about 60 baht per serve and thats with a decent amount of meat

There is no beef in Indian food. Perhaps you meant mutton.

I like Bukharas round the corner from soi 7, Rang Mahal in Rembrant - but that's expensive...

Recently, i just tried an indian in Suan Lum Night Bazaar. Called Bawarchi that was very nice... took a wee while to come but oh so worth the wait. Brilliant!

I like Bukharas round the corner from soi 7, Rang Mahal in Rembrant - but that's expensive...

Recently, i just tried an indian in Suan Lum Night Bazaar. Called Bawarchi that was very nice... took a wee while to come but oh so worth the wait. Brilliant!

That's a branch of a place on Soi 11 Suk.

That's not correct. There are several states in India where beef is eaten.

Indian restaurants all around the world cater for the clientelle, so i dont think its relevant to think of what is specifically done in India. Indians in Australia do have beef and i have seen beef on the menu at Khao San, these might be bast_rdised versions of a theme but if you look at it that way a lot of places in India are big on goat..but ive never seen it on a menu anywhere else.

And Yes i should of said mutton, the stuff you get here could never be served up as lamb as we know it.

India are big on goat..but ive never seen it on a menu anywhere else.

Goat is common at Indian restaurants in the US. I used to go to some buffets there that always had goat curry. Its very yummy but it stays with you all day.

Edited by Jingthing

Absolutely right, Indian food in BKK it's way, way overpriced, people are already paying too much for it and not getting the bang for their baht.

Goat is common at Indian restaurants in the US. I used to go to some buffets there that always had goat curry. Its very yummy but it stays with you all day.

A couple of years ago I went to a Pakistani family party here in the States and they had a whole goat! Interesting, but not to my liking.

• 2 weeks later...

sure... no beef in indian food and no working ladies in Pattaya :D

p.s. i could never find out why goat meat is called "mutton" in India :o