Type O Marriage Visa...and Work In Thailand

I 'll be applying for the type o visa in phnom penh, while I reside in thailand with my wife. My understanding is that I am not permitted to work in thailand on this visa? I am working at a school in BKK, and my school is pushing to get me a work permit (which i had done before)

Instead of an O visa with a work permit sponsered by my company, is there any way of getting permission for employment on the type O? Seems burdensome to have to do two entirely separate visa. one would be a b and an o right?? seems confusing? are there circumstances or caes where one is permitted to work on a type o? I am newly married, therefore new to the type o visa and its regulations. but it doesn't seem like it should be necessary to get both a b business and an o combined!!

A visa doesn't allow you to work, a WP does. You can just as easily get a WP on a non-immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai as you can on a non-B based on work. So don't worry, get a non-O. Much easier then getting a non-B.

If your school things otherwise, have them contact the labour office.

Agree with Mario. You can get a Work Permit with a Non O Visa.

thanks a lot guys.

noe are you referring to getting the non- B, in addition to the type o?? thats what i had before, prior to being married to a thai national, was a non B. I wonder if i can just show the contract from my new job? yeah, my school was thinking i need a non b as well as the type O. I am not so sure..so i may contract the ministry and dept of labor myself...i dont think i need to start the 3 month non b process all over again.....correct??? all i did was change jobs..and realize it is wiser to get a marriage visa now.

You cannot have 2 different Visas. A Non Imm O Visa based on your marriage is all you need.

[/quot

awesome. thanks for the insight. now i'm just trying to explain that to my company!!

so the process towards a work permit (once i have to type o) is the same documents as when you do the non b ..minus all the non b headache right?? (the company's info/office/employees) and all that noise, right??

now apparently here in BKK they tightened up requirements on teachers' work permits (unlike the ease of chiangmai where i had my work permit prior) they are telling me now on a work permit BKK you need confirmations and letters of recommendation from university to get the work permit. suppose they're just stricter than chaingmai eh??

anyhow..the type o sounds super easy compared to the non b i did before. you eased my mind

This is from the Dept. of Employment website. Note it says "Non Immigrant Visa" Dept. of Employment.

- An alien who lives in the Kingdom or receives a non-immigrant VISA to live in the Kingdom can work in Thailand after having received a work permit. (Any violation thereof shall make the employee liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months, or to a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht, or to both penalties)