Retirement Visa And Permanent Residence

Sawadee Kraap and hello,

I would like to ask for some advice please on an interesting situation.

Background to my situation is as follows:

1.I am married to a Thai lady who lives with me now in Australia

2.I used to work for about 6 years in Thailand but returned to Australia in 2000 to accept an IT position here

3.I own a condominium in Bangkok

I want to retire in approximately 18 months in Thailand with my wife and we have been looking at some land in the North which is her home.

I understand the retirement visa is no problem since I am over 50 and all I need is 800,000 THB in the bank.

If I stay on 3 x 1 year retirement visas, can I apply for permanent residence and what do you think is my chance to get it? I am Australian/Austrian

Thanks for taking time to look at my situation Iand any advice soemone may have,

Best regards

Gerald Pitter

To crystal ball the future is not an exact science. :o

PR has not been freely granted to those on retirement extensions in the recent past but that may have ended. In most cases those approved have reportedly been here at least several years over the 3 year requirement for application. Tax receipts have been reported to be very important (and a high paying job here). Your previous employment might help but not sure.

I would not count on PR but it may be possible. You can also live here as supporting your Thai wife with 400k in bank account in place of the retirement visa/extension so would recommend that method as you would still be able to work if it came up and it is less likely to be subject to a total non issue of PR.