Replacing Windows An Staircase.

johna

The wooden frame of an upstairs window (250cm x 170cm) is so badly weathered that it must be replaced, but the builder I normally use says that replacing this window, with a window frame of a different shape and size (200cm x120cm) will result in cracks in the wall.

I have no hands on experience with construction work, but if this is true should I remove the entire wall which measures 5 x 3 meters, and rebuild all of it from scratch.

I would like to do exactly the same with the window directly underneath for the sake of symmetry and better air flow through the house.

I am also looking at taking out the stairwell and replacing this with a spiral staircase in order to get more space.

I have found a couple of companies here that make spiral staircase’s, but they have not replied to my enquires regarding price.

Any ideas as to how much this will cost.

Thanks

I would like to do exactly the same with the window directly underneath for the sake of symmetry and better air flow through the house.

If you want better airflow, why make a window opening smaller? From 250x170 cm to 200x120 cm.

Making the window opening smaller means the space between the smaller window frame and the sides of the opening have to be filled by new brickwork and plaster. And it is this portion that will develop new cracks. Note also, that the contractor will not be able to fill the gaps at the top of this new window frame properly and will instead fill the bottom of the opening by 50cm so that the new window frame is connected to the top of the present opening. So the new window will be half a metre higher from the floor.

The structural support of the present rectangular staircase with a landing in between is different to a spiral staircase.

A spiral staircase has to be supported below the center post of the spiral. All the weight will be concentrated at the base of this point, which your present floor is not designed to receive.

Edited by trogers

What trogers says absolutely is correct, the new brick line will always show and in time may even separate from the old brickwork.

It may be possible to cut back the stucco and put one of the Q Con style mesh screens over the join then stucco over it but even then the new stucco and the old will crack.

Best to take out the old frame and have your builder dress the edges nicely then have a nice new frame fitted into the hole exactly.

Thanks for the reply's

The existing window 250cm x 170cm is a solid peace of glass, it can not be opened.

So I guess the whole wall will have to come out and start from scratch.

As for the spiral staircase, there is a 1 meter crawl space beneath the house, the floor is cement topped with parquet flooring, so I can put additional structural support directly beneath the center post.

Am I missing any thing here?

Can replacing the window be done? Yes it can. Will you notice cracks, well..

The 2 pieces of concrete or cement will never be the same as one and weld lines will always be seen.

Some people won't mind. As long as the lines are symmertric and a good paint job can cover up the work when seen far away. 5 x 3 meters is a lot of area to have to make a new wall. Sometimes one can just remove the top or stucco layer of the wall and re-cement, plaster it. No no need for new bricks or an entirely new wall.

Wire mesh is a good idea even some latex glue on in the cement is good. I think a new wall is just too much overkill. Every concrete wall will have cracks now and then which some putty and primer can help. It won't be a big crack, just a small line.

Thanks, I will have another talk with the builder about this, maybe taking out the entire wall is overkill, but I want the work done well.

Any ideas on the spiral staircase, it is going to be built in a corner so maybe I could anchor it against these 2 walls, thus reducing they entire weight resting on the centre point.

I still have not received any info from the 2 manufacturers I emailed; they should be able to clarify structural requirements.

Any idea of cost before I get in touch with the builder?

Thanks again for the replies.

Thanks for the reply's

The existing window 250cm x 170cm is a solid peace of glass, it can not be opened.

So I guess the whole wall will have to come out and start from scratch.

As for the spiral staircase, there is a 1 meter crawl space beneath the house, the floor is cement topped with parquet flooring, so I can put additional structural support directly beneath the center post.

Am I missing any thing here?

You can use a window system to replace the 250x170 cm fixed glass.

Divide the 250cm into 3 equal vertical sections and divide the 170cm into 2 unequal horizontal sections using 2x4 inch aluminium frames.

The center horizontal frame should be placed about 1 m above floor level. Thus the 3 sections above and below this horizontal frame will have different height (see attached photo). Windows that can be opened will be the top left and right panels. All others are fixed glass.

Separate and new structure for the spiral staircase is not advisable due to probable differential settlement between house and new structure. If you still want a spiral staircase, you will need to construct additional beams extending from existing floor beams to support the base of this staircase.

post-77843-1236074830_thumb.jpg

Edited by trogers

Cost of such a window system, using powder coated aluminium frame and casement windows, is about Baht 3,200 per sq metre of opening area inclusive of VAT.

I am not sure of the cost of the spiral staircase. Much will depend on the pattern and material used. Cost for removing existing staircase and floor, beams extension (probably using steel I-sections, bolts n grout) make good new floor and finishes and touch up walls - Baht 80-100,000 depending on size of stairwell.

You are welcome.

Make sure the 2 casement windows are not hinged to the frame, but will slide at least 10 cm away from the frame when the window is opened 90 degrees. This will enable you to clean the window pane and all fixed glass from inside the house.

post-77843-1236132884_thumb.jpg

Edited by trogers

I have looked around for window frames, and 2 types come up, uPVC and aluminum, which is better, uPVC supposedly, has a 40 year life span. I have no idea about price.

I am not familiar with either,

UPVC frames are harder to clean compared with powder coated aluminium frames. UPVC surface yellows under UV radiation of sunlight within a few years. I prefer to use them indoors in wet or humid areas.

Edited by trogers

I will go with the coated aluminum frames, the spiral staircase can wait until I see how much air flow increases in the house, this upstairs window is directly over the stairwell so it should have a positive effect.

I appreciate all your help,

Thanks.

If the staircase landing and stair treads are finished with timber, make sure there is no direct sunlight shining on to them between 10am and 4pm to avoid timber drying and cracking.

If the window at the landing faces the morning or afternoon sun, install light colour translucent curtains to cut off direct sunlight.

Don't go for uPVC. uPVC is still very flimsy and still needs the metal or aluminium support inside the frame. If its metal it will rust. Just better of getting the powder coated aluminium frames. Maker sure its the powder coated ones not the cheap ones.

Thanks again, do you know any big outlets in BKK, Nonthaburi or Patum Thani that make powder coated aluminium frames.

What is this powder?

I will try to get the phone number of the aluminium contractor that did some show units for a condo that I was a development consultant.

Powder coating is the new form of paint application on metallic sufaces. Old type of aluminium is by anodising. You can see these usually finished in silver grey, light or dark bronze. Powder coated aluminium has a much wider range of colour selection. Most condo projects completed in the last 2 years use powder coated aluminium. Finished surface is like the metallic paint on a car body.

See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating