Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

As you may or may not know, some police, immigration officers and tourist police can be real ass****s at times, they can resort to extreme rudeness, racism and even physical abuse.

This guy is a victim, he wanted to get on his flight but some stupid jerk prevented him, so he lost it. I believe most of you would have let loose just as he did under the circumstances that he found himself in. This whole episode smacks of racism, and ultimately a vendetta as the silly man in uniform was wrong and the black man was right.

Also, if he does not plead guilty, then the Thai court will certainly mess around with him for a long time, I have seen people who plead not guilty waiting for years for a judgement to be made. They could even revoke his bail if he continued to plead not guilty. So, you see that he has absolutely no choice as to what to do if he wants to go home this year.

The probability is that he will receive a 3 months suspended sentence, pay a fine for involuntary overstay and be kicked out.

Edited by farseer

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excerpts from other thread:

''If you go to England and behave the way this man did, what would happen?'' Khun Suksopon asked.

''I love Thailand. I do not want people coming here and looking down on Thailand or speaking badly about Thailand and to Thai people.''

They'd give you a 3 Bedroom Council House, Car & Money ??

Don`t embarrass yourself. She was never sentenced.

Originally arrested for an alleged passport irregularity, blood tests revealed Codeine blah blah blah.

She was then released on bail after 8 weeks, pending the arrival of documentation from the UK. When she finally appeared in court she was cleared of any wrongdoing. Hence, she was never sentenced to 4 years.

Phatcharanan, I think you are either missing the point on purpose or trying to be controversail or both. The bottom line is she spent 8 weeks in a stinking hole because of a screwed judicial system which fasley imprisoned her - sounds familiar?

As you may or may not know, some police, immigration officers and tourist police can be real ass****s at times, they can resort to extreme rudeness, racism and even physical abuse.

This guy is a victim, he wanted to get on his flight but some stupid jerk prevented him, so he lost it. I believe most of you would have let loose just as he did under the circumstances that he found himself in. This whole episode smacks of racism, and ultimately a vendetta as the silly man in uniform was wrong and the black man was right.

Also, if he does not plead guilty, then the Thai court will certainly mess around with him for a long time, I have seen people who plead not guilty waiting for years for a judgement to be made. They could even revoke his bail if he continued to plead not guilty. So, you see that he has absolutely no choice as to what to do if he wants to go home this year.

The probability is that he will receive a 3 months suspended sentence, pay a fine for involuntary overstay and be kicked out.

Yes, this posting is spot on! Many Asian countries pride themselves on their 'confession' ratios. In their eyes it is valadation of their methods and the thoroughness of their investigations. The facts are that they can and do use institutional discretion to bring about such acts. In short, physical persuasion, jucicial prodecdial delays (if you refuse to admit your guilt to the judge you will be returned to your own personal level of Dante's paradise and left to rot until you finally 'see the light'). Judicial procedural delays is national policy in Japan. They can bring you up in front of the beak and send you back down for years and years - "up to you" as they say in Thailand.

Thus Simon will inevitably "see the light and error of his ways" and confess to break the loop! Does that mean that those who damm him on this site will feel vindicated or are they a little more sophisticated in ways of the courts and laws and thus see through this needless charade?

It's this kind of victimisation and trumped up charges that stopped me from ever going to the countries like Dubai.

Every time you mentioned Dubai,what you have against Dubai.I haave ben there many times nver had a problem.Maybe it depends on the passport.

I cannot accept that anyone in their right mind would ever see anything postive about dubai

is this for real?

yes, this thailand, please wake up people, this poor innocent man has to do some time just becasuse of some pathetic low life wants to save his face

do you know why they get away with this?

answer- because the west ( who ultimatley controls the world) lets them

its as simple as that

trade is far more important than basic human right- we could get that man out faster than simply saying " do it, or we will fXXX you up"

I love what the brits did just after WW2- they should do the same( economicly) every time any place steps out of line.

For everyone, inluding the locals sake.

why have what people died for, when this is allowed to happen. Who knows anything about this poor man. i I wish to arraange a visit.

When one man like this sit's in jail all so called legal process must be questioned.

I pray for his well being

It should be well remembered that an Immigration Officer can question any passport

holder on arrival or departure. If a passport holder is interviewed they will be asked

questions. The questions may be as follows.

What is your full name.

What is your date of birth.

What was your place of birth.

What is your nationality.

Where was your passport issued.

What is/was the purpose of your visit.

Your arrival card / departure card must be filled in correctly. In some countries this is

a legal document after it is signed. Eg; Australia.

In some countries one may be asked further questions if you are suspected

of not being a genuine tourist and it is suspected that you may work. eg; carrying a

resume or CV, or insufficent funds for support.

Most cases are cleared up within 15 mins but suspects can be held for longer periods and can be taken to a place of detention if immigration is not satisfied with their reply.

If you do not answer the questions truthfully or are evasive in your answers, or refuse to answer questions, or abuse an immigration officer you will be in serious trouble, irrespective of the country you are in.

It does pay to carry additional ID with you, eg; drivers licence if possible, most people have

more than one piece of ID.

>It should be well remembered that an Immigration Officer can question any passport>

I don't think Simon was asked any questions.

His passport was handed over to an other immigration officer who scrutinised, scrutinised and scrutinised his passport.

would you think you are allowed to ask the officer what's going on?

Would you DARE opening your mouth?

Guess the answer is NO :o

< post snipped >

:o

Was this post really posted 20 times? :D

I received an astounding 20 email notifications of its posting and not sure if the post-notification system went on some sort of

frantic blink or if it was just an accidental "double-posting" that turned into a new record of "20-posting." :D

Edited by sriracha john

There are now A4 paper signs up in Bangkok airport warning of jail sentences up to one year for insulting behaviour towards officials.

I didn't want to incur their wrath so I didn't bother with a photo.

They have similar signs in LHR so Thailand is not unique in it's protection of public employees.

BUT, he was supposed to appear in court yesterday, 26th, any news?

< post snipped >

I received an astounding 20 email notifications of its posting and not sure if the post-notification system went on some sort of

frantic blink or if it was just an accidental "double-posting" that turned into a new record of "20-posting." :D

Unfortunately yes. I don't think valentinob is familiar with posting. :D

It should be well remembered that an Immigration Officer can question any passport

holder on arrival or departure. If a passport holder is interviewed they will be asked

questions. The questions may be as follows.

<snip>

Are you now, or have you ever been an immigration officer in Australia?

is this for real?

yes, this thailand, please wake up people, this poor innocent man has to do some time just becasuse of some pathetic low life wants to save his face

do you know why they get away with this?

answer- because the west ( who ultimatley controls the world) lets them

its as simple as that

trade is far more important than basic human right- we could get that man out faster than simply saying " do it, or we will fXXX you up"

I love what the brits did just after WW2- they should do the same( economicly) every time any place steps out of line.

For everyone, inluding the locals sake.

why have what people died for, when this is allowed to happen. Who knows anything about this poor man. i I wish to arraange a visit.

When one man like this sit's in jail all so called legal process must be questioned.

I pray for his well being

Hear Hear. But when will it get better? ... I think not. The west says serves you right for going abroad.

There are now A4 paper signs up in Bangkok airport warning of jail sentences up to one year for insulting behaviour towards officials.

They have similar signs in LHR so Thailand is not unique in it's protection of public employees.

BUT, he was supposed to appear in court yesterday, 26th, any news?

Apologies for that, just realised his court appearance is 26 April not March.

His passport was founded to be genuine in 3 days but the immigration kept him in jail for 11.

He now has the right to sue the immigration officer for wrongful imprisonment, insulting his good name by suggesting that his passport was stolen/forged, and making him out to be a criminal in public.

If I were him, I would get a lawyer and sue the immigration for literally millions. He would not have to pay anything to the lawyer, just tell the lawyer that when he wins the case, then they share the money 50/50.

His passport was founded to be genuine in 3 days but the immigration kept him in jail for 11.

He now has the right to sue the immigration officer for wrongful imprisonment, insulting his good name by suggesting that his passport was stolen/forged, and making him out to be a criminal in public.

If I were him, I would get a lawyer and sue the immigration for literally millions. He would not have to pay anything to the lawyer, just tell the lawyer that when he wins the case, then they share the money 50/50.

Agreed in principle, but it may be worth doing once he's out of the realm and away from the clutches of the 'authorities'. Let's face it, once inside those walls (prison) anything can and does happen by all reports. A couple of yaba tablets to the right Thai prisoner and Simon gets 'offed' in the showers!

No offence but I take it you are new in Thailand. Nobody sues the police (immigration officials are police) for wrongful arrest and comes out a winner.

You need to familiarise yourself with the relationship between one's social status and how you are treated under the law in Thailand. It is difficult to think of any entity with more clout than the Royal Thai Police who you advocate suing.

Ya, you're a newbie aint ya? The reason this is so frustrating along with every other injustice in this country is because there is NO recourse. Sue? There is no sueing the mafia. No foreigner is going to be awarded millions even if they mistakenly chopped off all his limbs or even killed him, nothing would be done, not even an apology. You really don't know anything about Thailand do you? He will STILL be lucky if he is not persecuted further, not the other way around.

ok this is a bit off topic, but I saw a TV documentary last night of a young American guy who was falsely accused, convicted and and thrown in to a Nicaraguan prison for 390 days. The crime: raping and killing a beautiful young village woman who was formerlly his g.f. There's a lot to the story, but a basic dynamic is he was essentially convicted by a revenge-riven mob of villagers who hated Americans (coming in hordes and buying up choicest real estate). Luckily for the Yank, an appellate judge overturned the conviction, as the evidence for his innocence was airtight.

So to keep things in perspective below is an exert from a Brisbane newspaper from Today look at the behaviour of this lady, she abuses a judge in a court and government officials, she gets 4 months jail, if the lady had not behaved like a pork chop in court and only made threatening and abusive comments to Government officials she more than likely would not have received and Jail time.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/794420...ed-for-contempt

A Japanese law lecturer who bared her bottom to a judge and had to be removed from her own trial for incessant screaming has been jailed for contempt.

Brisbane District Court Judge Stuart Durward on Friday sentenced Megumi Ogawa, 41, to four months' jail for her "disgusting behaviour" during her trial.

Judge Durward charged Ogawa with contempt just moments after a jury found her guilty of two counts of each of using a carriage service to harass and using a carriage service to threaten to kill Australian Federal Court officials in 2006.

During the trial, the court was told Ogawa, who is a lecturer at Lismore's Southern Cross University, sent 83 emails and made 176 phone calls to Federal Court staff.

During some of the contact, she made threats to kill registry staff.One staff member said in a victim impact statement, he was so affected by stress because of her actions that he had started going bald.

Ogawa was on Friday sentenced to six months' jail for those four offences.

She refused legal representation at the start of her trial, electing instead to represent herself.

However she was repeatedly kicked out of court for screaming, making disparaging comments about the justice system and wrestling with corrective services officers.

She also flashed her bottom on one occasion when being dragged into court.

Barrister Paul Smith took on the case two days ago, and on Friday made an application that Ogawa not be present when Judge Durward handed down his sentence.

Judge Durward read out his full sentencing remarks in Ogawa's absence before the screaming lecturer was brought into the court room so she could be told her fate.

Ogawa had to be carried into the dock by three corrective services officers who had to hold her down as she was sentenced.

She will be released on a good behaviour bond in September.

So to keep things in perspective below is an exert from a Brisbane newspaper from Today look at the behaviour of this lady, she abuses a judge in a court and government officials, she gets 4 months jail, if the lady had not behaved like a pork chop in court and only made threatening and abusive comments to Government officials she more than likely would not have received and Jail time.

A Japanese law lecturer who bared her bottom to a judge and had to be removed from her own trial for incessant screaming has been jailed for contempt..

"So to keep things in perspective," I'll see if I can find a copy of the article about the man who was shot point-blank in the head by border police for making ill-tempered comments to them.

A Japanese law lecturer who bared her bottom to a judge and had to be removed from her own trial for incessant screaming has been jailed for contempt..

"So to keep things in perspective," I'll see if I can find a copy of the article about the man who was shot point-blank in the head by border police for making ill-tempered comments to them.

To keep things in perspective you don't need to go any further than the borders of Thailand. How many thounsands of Thais were executed without trial during Thaksin's war on drugs? How many tens of Thai men died during the day they were ferried from a mosque to a Thai army camp in the south? They were bound and stacked ontop of each other and ferried in trucks. Even though, it was obviously killing people after the first victims were discovered nothing was done to change the transportation arrangementsb - I think it was about 70 odd protestors that suffocated to death in tha incident.

I think we can see what happens if you offend the 'authorities'

< post snipped >

Unfortunately yes. I don't think valentinob is familiar with posting. :wai:

Valentinob, SHOULD be very familiar with posting, afterall she got plenty of practice posting under the nic 'OURMANINBANGERS'. :D

I would suggest that OMIB just got a little bit excited when she saw this topic....didnt you ingers? :D

Is it then still possible to swear at the airport taxi touts in the arrivals area? I'm not sure whether they are "officials" or just employees of a private organisation :D

I would say that if Thai immigration feels the need to hang such a notice, then there is certainly a need for passengers to act accordingly. After all, nobody would put up a "Don't step on the grass" sign on a concrete parking lot.

All and all I still find that Thai immigration is the most ineffective and unfriendly I have been able to find in Asia (based on 13 years of residence in Bangkok and frequent traveling in Asia). Sort of like a sweet chocolate surrounded by a bitter coating. Among the more efficient and friendly immigration officers I have found in the past and recently are:

Korea - possibly one of the fastest passes ever, rarely more than 20 seconds review and always time for a friendly smile and "Welcome to Korea"

Hong Kong - the queues can be nightmares at some times, but the queue handling is efficient and the queue manager even had time for a chat and an apology for the waiting time for me, again the passport check itself was done in less than 30 seconds and the officer even used a tiny bit of free space to cram in his stamp, which a frequent traveler always appreciates. Oh, and "Welcome to Hong Kong"!

China - goodness, they even have buttons where you can give the office a smiley rating for his/her service! I wonder how that would turn out in Thailand? Time still under one minute, and wait for it... "Welcome to China"!

Vietnam - Fast and efficient, no hugs but still a friendly smile.

For the rest of Asia, more of the same.

So what's the problem with Thai immigration? Piles? I suggest to put up a sign encouraging travelers to say "F___ You!" to the officials until they get their act straight. The only time someone (female) in an immigration uniform features positively for me is in certain erotic fantasies - "You! Visa expired!" ... "Oooh, spank me ma'm!" :o

Quote:

"While civilised societies urge people not to judge others on their appearance alone, professional Immigration officials everywhere begin their assessment on what they see standing before them and the image in the passport".

Source; http://phuketwan.com/tourism/lessons-phuke...ists-nightmare/

Form this Thai newspaper report Mr Burrowes had a passport photo which complied with British and international requirements but not Thai requirements, ie; the shoulders must be covered.

Remember he was allowed into the country on that passport and the information would have been on their database. There was no problem then. Why the problem when departing?

Would he have had the problem at Bangkok? Probably not.