Hollywood Coming To Chiang Mai

earlofwindermere

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...ollywood-studio

Chiang Mai to host Hollywood studio

By: Bangkokpost.com

Published: 3/03/2009 at 08:00 PM CKA

Chiang Mai Co Ltd, a subsidiary of the Los Angles-based entertainment firm Creative Kingdom Inc, plans to pour 8 billion baht into a movie town in Chiang Mai.

Construction will take seven years to complete on the 30-rai site in San Kamphaeng district.

By 2014, six studios of varying sizes will be available to serve different scales of movie production. In 2015, the company expects its production facilities will attract about 35 productions worldwide, said CEO Eduardo Robles.

The project will officially be announced on June 19 this year. Movie producers and directors from across the globe will be invited to attend to see the business potential. The company believes "Chiangmaiwood'' will be able to surpass Hong Kong as the hub of the movie industry in Asia.

Mr Robles declined to reveal sources of funds for the project, but said the company was in talks with several foreign investors abroad. The company has received tax incentives from the Board of Investment (BoI) for the venture.

Chiang Mai was chosen because it offers a good location and traffic, and skilled people in the field. As well, the city is a geographical centre for services in the Mekong region.

Most importantly, production costs are about 20% lower than in rival locations

Hope that the project brings some jobs, that's always welcome, maybe even a few roles for farang extras ? :D

The som-tam lady says, they plan a remake called 'The Bridge on the River Ping', or possibly 'Air Lanna' about a CIA-owned airline, can any TV-members suggest some other locally-based films which they might wish to make ? :o

Hope that the project brings some jobs, that's always welcome, maybe even a few roles for farang extras ? :D

The som-tam lady says, they plan a remake called 'The Bridge on the River Ping', or possibly 'Air Lanna' about a CIA-owned airline, can any TV-members suggest some other locally-based films which they might wish to make ? :o

ThaiVisa: The Movie

Synopsis: In historical and, ahem, foggy Chiangmai, there lived a mysterious, irascible yet Yoda-like senior citizen. He was an expat of good standing who persuaded others by the sheer power of his grouchiness and the fact that he's 'been around' longer than the "Happy New Year" sign at Somchai's bear and pool hall.

One day, a precocious young man gets off the bus at Arcade (cue music from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly), lights a cigarette and looks around.

"Wet behind the ears, he is," declares Yoda. No one dares challenge this premature assessment.

Over the next week the young man adapts to his new surroundings, even eating sticky rice dipped in namprik and an assortment of fried bugs with unmitigated relish. Yoda is not impressed and brushes off this display of localization with the brilliant argument: "humph!"

Meanwhile, the Burger Brigade with their cheerful leader, UG did their bit to promote Western civilization in this fair city by highlighting the availability of English Books by Grisham and greasy food by Mike. Their efforts were well appreciated by the long-suffering and self-deprived expat community.

The young man however was aghast.

"I did not fly six thousand miles to eat at McDonald's," he stated.

"With that I agree," said Yoda. Thus began an unlikely friendship full of humor and adventure.

(The studio is mulling a sequel to be called "Thaivisa: The Movie, The Sequel")

"With that I agree," said Yoda. Thus began an unlikely friendship full of humor and adventure.

Synopsis of "Thaivisa: The Movie, The Sequel":

The unlikely friendship lasted about 8 months until Yoda chanced to have to visit the Night Bazaar for a new hash pipe and found the pretentious young man sitting in front of the Red Lion Pub with two underage hookers from Foxy Lady eating a greasy plate of fish and chips. My two tilacs are "different" from all the rest and a man can not live on rice alone he commented, before Yoda took off in a stoned out huff... :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

ThaiVisa: The Movie

Synopsis: In historical and, ahem, foggy Chiangmai, there lived a mysterious, irascible yet Yoda-like senior citizen. He was an expat of good standing who persuaded others by the sheer power of his grouchiness and the fact that he's 'been around' longer than the "Happy New Year" sign at Somchai's bear and pool hall.

One day, a precocious young man gets off the bus at Arcade (cue music from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly), lights a cigarette and looks around.

"Wet behind the ears, he is," declares Yoda. No one dares challenge this premature assessment.

Over the next week the young man adapts to his new surroundings, even eating sticky rice dipped in namprik and an assortment of fried bugs with unmitigated relish. Yoda is not impressed and brushes off this display of localization with the brilliant argument: "humph!"

Meanwhile, the Burger Brigade with their cheerful leader, UG did their bit to promote Western civilization in this fair city by highlighting the availability of English Books by Grisham and greasy food by Mike. Their efforts were well appreciated by the long-suffering and self-deprived expat community.

(The studio is mulling a sequel to be called "Thaivisa: The Movie, The Sequel")

Nice synopsis but "A Burger Too Far" would make a better title.

'The (Chiang Mai) Fog' might be topical, and cheap to make, on the special-effects ? :D

'For a Few Burgers More' with Clint Eastwood, perhaps ? :o

'Once Upon A Time In The North', lots of roles there for water-buffaloes, painted like cows ? :D

Edited by Ricardo

'The (Chiang Mai) Fog' might be topical, and cheap to make, on the special-effects ? :D

'For a Few Burgers More' with Clint Eastwood, perhaps ? :o

'Once Upon A Time In The North', lots of roles there for water-buffaloes, painted like cows ? :D

I heard there is going to be a sequel to Bangkok Dangerous-Chiang Mai dangerous, directed by the the director of The Fog, and filmed this time of year in 7 years time!

Sounds like good news for Chiang Mai. Perhaps some of our Tom Cruise look alike members will pick up some extra roles?.

Don't laugh, some of us dinosaurs remember getting hired on as extras for "Air America" and getting paid 500 baat to get a military haircut that of course only cost 20 baat at a local barber. The remainder of the money was quickly recycled into the local economy.

Nice idea, but it is only someones far-fetched dream at this point, with no investers...

The studio has been here since 2005, currently employs 700 and is looking to expand from CGI/animation to feature production.

Sounds like good news for Chiang Mai. Perhaps some of our Tom Cruise look alike members will pick up some extra roles?.

Don't laugh, some of us dinosaurs remember getting hired on as extras for "Air America" and getting paid 500 baat to get a military haircut that of course only cost 20 baat at a local barber. The remainder of the money was quickly recycled into the local economy.

Anyone who remembers handsome Elliot Owens, knows that he actually appeared in the completed film - for about 30 seconds. :o

I heard they're building the new studio in San Kampaeng because they read somewhere that there's a new intl airport being built there.

They should both be operational at the same time.

Nice idea, but it is only someones far-fetched dream at this point, with no investers...

The studio has been here since 2005, currently employs 700 and is looking to expand from CGI/animation to feature production.

my only intentention when I post is to educate.
I post what I post with the intention of educating people to the truth.

Sorry Ajarn, I couldn't resist :o

Edited by adjan jb