Called A Farang

fred2007

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a Sand Dancer, wonder if you know where i'm from haha.

Uuuhhh I feel dirty now you thought I was a dirty mackem hahaha.

Better to be called a Farang than a maccam right :o

I'd guess maybe Blyth or the other B town.

Do you really look like stevie wonder if so your more likely to a 'Farang Dam' :D

Nah, thats not me in the pic, it's Dave Chappelle dressed as Rick James.

I'm from South Shields, a small town filled with charvas. We also have a really nice beach, but who the fuc_k wants to go there I don't know, it's fuc_king freezing. Catherine Cookson was also born here, whoop de do!

Jubby, where are you from? England too I presume?

Edited by scottyd

Its a simple thing for me, if someone doesnt know me & they use the word 'farang' I couldnt give a <deleted>.

If it someone that knows me and refers to me as 'farang' I remind them of my name, if they do it a second time I start using a nic name when referring to them. Simple thing really, its a matter of courtesy.

As for the dopes that announce at the top of their voice the word 'farang' when I come around the corner I always refer to them as TLAP, pronounced as its written. Always leaves them wondering what Im on about and simply stands for tiny little asian prikc.

Talking about racism, the thais have some rather unusual names for the various races of people, as names for some of the cities people come from, lets face it most of it is very strange stuff, who on this totally bizzare planet would call the city of Beijing.....'Phbucking'? :o

Done quite a bit of Diving off South Shields years ago. Wreck diving, maybe a Submarine or something. Could never see my hand in front of my mask.

Still don't know why :o . Lovely Place :D

Rotherham . .............. Its always a conversation Killer :D

We had our house warming at the weekend. I did on a couple of occasions say to my Thai family members “We don't use the F word here” (even tought we do) I'm David, and my second cousin in law twice removed is Ian, but Falang it was and Falang it is!

How do you refer to other falangs to Thai people?

David

Nice one, not too far away! So do you still live here or in Thailand?

I think we'd better take this conversation away from this Thread, Don't want to hijack this important thread with our drivel :o

Very true! haha

Anyways, "farang", i've ben called worse.

Ok Mods merge this topic if you think it is not a new one.

I do not mind being called a farang,we all know what it means but one lady called me a farang and some of my friends, she is Thai, lived for many years in Swizerland can speak German, not to good. But I just wonder how can she call me a farang even so she lived outsite her country for many many years.

No one ever would call her an asian or some thing else in Switzerland.

I just don't get it.

I am lost

Fred2007 - you must be kidding me. racism against asians is prevalent, more overt in some countries/societies than others, sadly even within asia, but let's not pretend that it doesn't exist. and more laughably, let's not feel offended when called a farang... it's really nothing compared to some of the derogatory terms or generalisations farangs use on asians.

Farang, kaek, jaek... any other racial epithets in Thai? I presume there's many.

I would think just those three. Afterall everyones knows There's only four Human Sub species. Farang , Indian Guests, Chinese and ofcourse Thai. Oh I forgot about Africa. majored in Geography Here ;-)

100% of all the Thais I have told my name to, always call me, or talk about me by my name.

Sometimes with the Pii, or Khun infront of it.

The rest that call me Farang/foreigner, instead of he/him/it can do so if they want to.

No problem.

Well, im not fond of being objectified in terms of my skin colour, but i realise that i just have to accept that i will always look different here. Also, i realise that when some Thai see me, they probably think tourist and rich and other general misconceptions. At times that can be a tad disheartening, for no matter how hard i try to learn the language and culture, I know, based on my appearance, I can never truly assimilate.

But, the plus still outweighs the minus.

I would certainly feel a bit shocked (yes really) if people who know me, my bf, or his kids, were to call me 'farang'. If they talk about me in the third person, I only ever hear them say 'phuan' or 'Khun' or 'khow'. I think most would consider it disrespectful to be called farang amongst friends/family.

But well, being called farang might not be great, but isnt so bad either, (unless said in a way that is meant to sound insulting). I have to say though, that the one time i found it very uncomfortable was at New Year when i went camping with my bf and his kids. We went to an area where i seemed to be the only westerner amongst Thai. After a while I started to feel like a monkey at the zoo. People stopping and staring, talking about me, etc. One man who didnt notice i wasnt Thai, because i had my hoodie up and my head down whilst reading, came over to me and asked a question in Thai. As soon as I looked up, he looked startled, said "Oh Farang!" and began to walk away, but I answered his question in Thai. He stopped and said thank you, but looked as if he had just been zapped by a laser. One other day there I was walking past a group of Thai and they loudly shouted "farang! Farang! See Khao, See khao!". Thought it was so damned rude, but what can you do? I have to say, sadly, my camping trip didnt feel quite as fun as I would have liked it to be. I guess i have to grow a thicker skin.

Edited by eek

100% of all the Thais I have told my name to, always call me, or talk about me by my name.

Sometimes with the Pii, or Khun infront of it.

The rest that call me Farang/foreigner, instead of he/him/it can do so if they want to.

No problem.

Same with me. I'm only ever referred to with the "farang" label by those who don't actually know my name.

I'm from South Shields, a small town filled with charvas. We also have a really nice beach, but who the fuc_k wants to go there I don't know, it's fuc_king freezing. Catherine Cookson was also born here, whoop de do!

Hmm me too... don't think I've been called a cun_t though!

I don't care if someone calls me a farang as long as it's not as a direct insult, don't see any harm in it.

Farang, kaek, jaek... any other racial epithets in Thai? I presume there's many.

there's many...yes, exactly...

Nah..Come on.... my dear Farangs... :D .. don't think too much..honey..

though you are handsome or not, I will call you guys, Farang..!!! And not to mean 'rude' at all, believe me...

Thai people also, when being abroad, sometimes we call each 'Kra Reang' (กระเหรี่ยง) = Naive Thai like 'Baan Nok' (บ้านนอก)..hillie billies..kind of..

And this is racism... :o

May be, we Thai people is not nice.... :D

Hmm me too... don't think I've been called a cun_t though!

I don't care if someone calls me a farang as long as it's not as a direct insult, don't see any harm in it.

Small world!

But isn't the topic about being called a 'Farang' in your own country by a Thai living there?

In the UK if you referred to a Thai in a similar vein you would be had up in court for racial discrimination.

Yet us white folk - I mean Caucasians - are often called Whitey or Honky etc but we don't really complain enough.

I suppose its like being labeled as 'one of those" like your something from another planet, invasion of the farangs! There's nothing worse then when you enter a room or wherever and you hear farang and they all look! even it its not meant in a nasty way it kinda feels odd. Best way i deal with it now is think yeah i am a farang, white boy from the west and proud of it, like your proud your Thai, other then that it will drives you nuts!

... Farang, schmarang. It is a trifle... Accept it or go insane.

I think torrenova's doing the latter: :D

Westerners or foreigners or non Thais who accept this racial slur are a disgrace to their own race......I do not use the word and will not accept it. Now roll up all you "I know more than the Thais" westerners to tell me how it should be, how I know nothing and how I should be kissing their arse etc.
Its a simple thing for me, if someone doesnt know me & they use the word 'farang' I couldnt give a <deleted>.

If it's someone that knows me and refers to me as 'farang' I remind them of my name, if they do it a second time I start using a nic name when referring to them. Simple thing really, its a matter of courtesy....

Same here. :o