Handing In Work Permit - How Long To Leave Los?

Hi all

1. I have a work permit valid till July 6th.

2. My visa was extended with the WP till July 6th.

3. This was done at the Korat Immigration Office.

4.I am leaving my teaching job on March 31st.

5. I told the Immigration Officer at Korat I will finish job on March 31st.

6. I asked him "When I hand in my Work Permit on April 1st (it's not a joke !) .. do I have 7 days to leave the country?"

7. He said "No" .. I can stay until July 6th.

8. I said " I thought I had 7 days to get out after I hand in my WP if my visa extension was based on a WP"

9. Again .. he said "No" .. you can stay until July 6th"

10. I said .. "Are you sure?"

11. He said "Yes"

Now the BIG question ... "Who is right" ... "Me or him?"

Do I do a Lao vsa run for a Tourist visa after I hand in my Wp? ... or can I stay till July 6th?

HELLLLLLPPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

I finished a job once the day after I got an extension for WP and Visa for 1 year.

I never told anyone.

Even if your school inform the Ministry of Labour, they can't change your visa - only an immigration officer can.

If you apply for another WP without handing it back, you pay a fine of 1,500 baht. Well I did about 7years ago.

Things may have changed.

A teacher who left my school had 24 hours to change his visa,

he got an extention then went to Lao To get a 60 day tourist visa .

colino

Ps he was told by immigration that the seven day rule was finished.

Edited by colino

If you are on a 12 month extension based on your job obtained from Immigration you have to leave the country on the day your work finishes . Or visit Immigration and get a 7 day extension.

If you are on a Visa obtained from a Consulate outside Thailand you can stay until the Visa expires.

I might be in the exact same position soon. Work permit expires in a few months, visa expires soon and will be renewed. After its been renewed, I will no longer be with the company I work for. Which gives me a visa valid for a year and a work permit valid for another couple of months.

I'm wondering, do I:-

(1) Have to leave within seven days of my work permit expiring?

(2) Have to get a new visa, because the one I'm on was extended for a by then defunct work permit?

Help is appreciated.

Update: oops, the above actually answers my question!

Edited by gadg

Yes, you did.

You are on an extension so your permission to stay expires when your job ends. You have to leave the same day, but can get an extension of stay of 7 days for 1,900 baht.

When you find a new job, you need to get a new WP. A WP only allows you to work for the in the WP mentioned employer.

As far as turning in your WP, I think there is some confusion about that.

Many are saying you no longer have to turn your WP in, but as far as i can tell that's being based on an article in a law firms newsletter. There is no link or mention in the article to say where they got the info from.

This last week I asked the question at my local WP office and was told they still require the WP to be turned back to them.

Does anyone have a link, or a place to look (other than someones newsletter), that actually says we can keep the WP?

Terry

As far as turning in your WP, I think there is some confusion about that.

Many are saying you no longer have to turn your WP in, but as far as i can tell that's being based on an article in a law firms newsletter. There is no link or mention in the article to say where they got the info from.

This last week I asked the question at my local WP office and was told they still require the WP to be turned back to them.

Does anyone have a link, or a place to look (other than someones newsletter), that actually says we can keep the WP?

Terry

Regulations of the labour department are hard to find. But I can tell you that I have seen the statement that you no longer need to hand in the WP also on the webiste of another lawfirm, besides the one we regulary refer to here.

Yes, you did.

You are on an extension so your permission to stay expires when your job ends. You have to leave the same day, but can get an extension of stay of 7 days for 1,900 baht.

When you find a new job, you need to get a new WP. A WP only allows you to work for the in the WP mentioned employer.

Has anyone actually not left, like me, and had anything happen to them?

Has anyone actually not left, like me, and had anything happen to them?

Good question. I imagine overstay charges, but would love to find out.

I think the main question is, "do the labour department notify immigration?"