Modem Problem

taxexile

d-link non wireless modem , been using it without any problems now for 3 years to connect to a TOT adsl 100mbps line.

a couple of days ago i lost the connection , the phone still works ok , but i could not connect to the net.

the adsl light on the modem is not on , although the other lights are ok (ethernet , power, status)

the computer connects to the modem ok , ( the toolbar icon registers as connected to tot , but i cannot get into the net.)

all the values used to set up the modem are still in the little boxes on the set up pages and i can connect to the net just fine using the condo wireless network.

the fault has been reported to tot , but i have had no response from them yet.

is this a modem problem or a tot adsl problem ?

any ideas , suggestions or cures will be welcome.

thanks.

If the phone is still working phone, the line itself is probably still ok.

First point where the problem may arise: in your house. Check it yourself by taking the connector out of the splitter (line from the wall!) and plug it straight into your router. Of course this way you disconnect your telephone, but if the line comes up, the problem is either in the cable between the splitter and the router, or the splitter is broken.

If it does not make any difference, chances are the problem lies with the ISP, probably between the DSLAM and the filter which combines phone+adsl on your line. The provider will have to sort that out.

when you login to the modem what does the status page say about the ADSL link ?

cant connect. ...or something to that effect.

Check it yourself by taking the connector out of the splitter (line from the wall!)

still no adsl light or internet.

call your provider and give your ADSL phone number. They can check if you have a signal or not. At least CSloxinfo does that.

One more remark. Check in your modem settings page for a WAN IP address. Without you can not connect

Edited by webfact

all the original settings are unchanged , the wan settings are configured to pppoe , whatever that is , and there is no wan ip address , i think it obtains one each time i connect.

the tools/ test page shows an lan connection , but a failed adsl synch. and no pings.

i think i will have to wait until monday now as tot services close at weekends.