Cheap Airfares If You Are Thai

McLovin

As a former travel agent. I would be interested to know if anyone else knows of 'VFR' airfares, and if so, do they think they are blatantly racists? In short VFR stands for "visiting friends and relatives". Thai has VFR fares, and one of the conditions is: "passenger must have a thai surname". If they do, they get the slightly cheaper fare. Whilst it is true that it doesnt stipulate a nationaility, common sense would say more often than not a person with a Thai surname would be aThai national. Also, there VFR fares are sold outside Thailand as well.

As a former travel agent. I would be interested to know if anyone else knows of 'VFR' airfares, and if so, do they think they are blatantly racists? In short VFR stands for "visiting friends and relatives". Thai has VFR fares, and one of the conditions is: "passenger must have a thai surname". If they do, they get the slightly cheaper fare. Whilst it is true that it doesnt stipulate a nationaility, common sense would say more often than not a person with a Thai surname would be aThai national. Also, there VFR fares are sold outside Thailand as well.

Blatantly so, but this is true all over Thailand.

At thai airways in Auckland NZ they'll give me the thai price once I'm married. So I wouldn't call it racism - just discrimination.

They also let thais book tickets and pay 1 month prior to departure. For me I have to pay within 48 hours of booking... but not when I'm married :o

Edit: spelling...

Edited by byoung2

See my tailor, his name's Simon; I know it's going to fit.

My travel agent's name is Meow, and she got a good price for my wife's Songkran trip end of the month.

Thai ruk Thai :o

are you sure with that "passenger must have a thai surname". ? and not maybe 'passenger must be a thai national or a resident in thailand'?

such VFR or ethnic fares are nothing new and are offered also by other national airlines of other countries. never came across something like this as a former travel agent?

when i was younger i got discounts based on my student staus and/or my age, with some airline was the max age 24, with other 27. being a little bit older now i don't feel discriminated because of my age.

maybe you have some thai friends, be happy for them that they get a discount, or tell them in case they don't know.

I have previously taken advantage of fares similar to this with Thai (not sure what the code was). This was booking and travelling with my (Thai) wife. She does not have a Thai surname btw. Then last time we were told they had finished these Thai national special fares (about 1.5 years ago?).

Maybe they justify it on the basis of Thais pay tax (yupp, sure) so they already contribute to Thai air biz. If what you say is correct - about the need for a Thai surname - then that is just ridiculous. Ah, but then as we can readily see now, Thai Air is not exactly run by the greatest minds on the planet.

I remember that about 25 years ago my wife paid a lower fare with Singapore airlines than I because she was Asia. But about 15 years ago this kind of fares based on nationality was forbidden by IATA. So if Thai companies still do like that its a clear violations of IATA rules. Maybe internal flights could be exempted I don't know.

This is from Thaiairways who are loosing money hand over fist and hemorrhaging passengers who are sick and tired of poor service, outdated onboard facilities and one of Asia's oldest fleets of aircraft.

Racist or not, VFR fares are not going to help them out of the hole they have dug themselves into.