Is It My Imagination

toopeekaa 1

Over the years I have lived for different periods of time in 7 different countries.

In Thailand now for a goodly number of years.....

Is it my imagination or what..... but do Thais dial more wrong numbers than other nationalities ?????

I have 4 different telephones in my home and its not exclusive to any one number.

Living in other countries, including Asian Countries, it would be unusual to get a incorrectly dialed number maybe more than once per month. In Thailand I consistently get 2,3, 4 or more per day. Today alone, I just a few minutes ago recieved the 6th for today. And then to beat all, as if not believing they could have the wrong number, they use the re-dial to call again.

If I am not mistaken these wrong numbers do carry a charge [to the receiver] if made from a handphone.... What is it, the ego trip to have everyone see you using a hand phone and be danged what number you get, thats not important, the important thing is that everyone knows you ae very important because you have a hand phone...

Ok, that is now out of my system, now I can get my blood pressure down with a good cold Chang.

I have to agree about the unusual amount of wrong number calls while in Thailand. Not sure if its the case you mention about people showing off their handphones but it is odd. This usually starts my g/f off, going on at me that I have another woman etc! I show her the phone call list and tell her to call them back if she has her doubts.

I'm pretty sure you don't get billed anything for such calls, but TIT. They used to charge you for any call out after 3 rings, and for busy's, too. :o

Have you talked to the callers? Is your number close to another (more popular!) number? We had a number that was very close to the local hospital number, and we got a few calls most every day until we moved...

And Pablo, sometimes the best defense is a strong offense... :D

...Now, I only answer it if it's already listed in my directory.

:o

I tried that, but just can't resist answering. The other day I got a call and the number was very strange. So I answered and didn't say anything. Then a woman's voice came on the line. It sounded familiar so I just said "Hello". And she said "<name> are you OK? You're still alive after the tsunami?". It was an ex-girlfriend in England I hadn't spoken to for 3 years.

It's even more difficult to not answer now.

I have to agree with the number of errored calls in Thailand. When I am there (about 6 months a year) I get them all the time. Course, being an old bastard I can't read the phone to see who is calling without my glasses (which I'll be damned if I'll put on every time tthe phone rings). So i answer.

The funnniest part is when it is a wrong number. Obviouosly, when they don't speak a word of English, and don't ask for me by name, I tell them wrong number. TThey keep on saying god knows what. After a few times of wrong nummber, and sometimes they change who is talkking to me, I hang up. And I'll be damned if they don't try it again.

Now I have had this number for over 4 years so it isn't like I'm getting someone elses calls. Just misdials etc. Funny.

And Pablo, sometimes the best defense is a strong offense...  :o

Aaahhhh the mind does wander...... Does anyone remember [maybe 30-35 yrs ago there was a movie, with one of the leads being an actor named Robert Morse, he did a lot of Broadway shows, and I think the co-star was Walter Matheau.

The general gist was that Walter M was thinking about having an affair, and Morse was the real man about town with many affairs under his belt. Morse was giving Matheau the education on how to go about the whole thing... and the main education point was if you were caught ' in- flagrante " just and always DENY, DENY, DENY.

One scene sticks in my mind, where Morse's wife caught him in bed with another woman and he and the woman just ignored the screaming of the wife; calmly got up and dressed and walked out of the motel room without even acknowledging the screaming wife. Just Deny, Deny, Deny. Later at home when he was confronted again by the wife, he didn't even acknowledge the motel scene had ever happened and the wife then thought she was going nutso.......

So Ajarn your advice is spot on, when a woman calls and your GF or wife gets the call, Deny, Deny, Deny

And Pablo, sometimes the best defense is a strong offense...   :D

Aaahhhh the mind does wander...... Does anyone remember [maybe 30-35 yrs ago there was a movie, with one of the leads being an actor named Robert Morse, he did a lot of Broadway shows, and I think the co-star was Walter Matheau.

The general gist was that Walter M was thinking about having an affair, and Morse was the real man about town with many affairs under his belt. Morse was giving Matheau the education on how to go about the whole thing... and the main education point was if you were caught ' in- flagrante " just and always DENY, DENY, DENY.

One scene sticks in my mind, where Morse's wife caught him in bed with another woman and he and the woman just ignored the screaming of the wife; calmly got up and dressed and walked out of the motel room without even acknowledging the screaming wife. Just Deny, Deny, Deny. Later at home when he was confronted again by the wife, he didn't even acknowledge the motel scene had ever happened and the wife then thought she was going nutso.......

So Ajarn your advice is spot on, when a woman calls and your GF or wife gets the call, Deny, Deny, Deny

I enjoyed that ridiculous movie, too. Robert Morse and Walter Matheau were great comedians :D

Actually, my thought was that a women might make accusations against you in an attempt to shift any possible attention away from her own BF. Seen it happen here, but never in a movie... :D

Of course, this is all just joking around. Pablo, nothing personal, I assure you. But, TIT, na'? :o

I was actually caught arm in arm with one girl by my regular girl one night, as I was not especially troubled I dropped the new one and went over to my main girl who with giving me obviously deserved grief.. I decided (what the ######) it couldnt get much worse and used the 'who are you going to believe, me or your lieing eyes !! and then just proceeded to deny deny deny and claim she had just grabbed me as I walked along..

I am sure she did not belive a word of it.. But it worked..

As to the calls I also get lots of them..

I was actually caught arm in arm with one girl by my regular girl one night, as I was not especially troubled I dropped the new one and went over to my main girl who with giving me obviously deserved grief.. I decided (what the ######) it couldnt get much worse and used the 'who are you going to believe, me or your lieing eyes !! and then just proceeded to deny deny deny and claim she had just grabbed me as I walked along..

I am sure she did not belive a word of it.. But it worked..

As to the calls I also get lots of them..

Kinda like RENE in "Allo Allo" comedy. When he immediatly says when caught "YOU STUPID WOMAN" to his wife with a lame axcuse attached :o

cracked me up everytime:)

Of course, this is all just joking around. Pablo, nothing personal, I assure you. But, TIT, na'? 

Actually Ajarn I have been caught before :o so this is where the suspicion arises from I guess. Now you have got me thinking, has she got another bloke! :D

...Now, I only answer it if it's already listed in my directory.

:o

I tried that, but just can't resist answering. The other day I got a call and the number was very strange. So I answered and didn't say anything. Then a woman's voice came on the line. It sounded familiar so I just said "Hello". And she said "<name> are you OK? You're still alive after the tsunami?". It was an ex-girlfriend in England I hadn't spoken to for 3 years.

It's even more difficult to not answer now.

I used to answer all calls but soon discovered that when I finish with a gf they'll often use their friend's mobiles or local public phones to try and trick me into talking with them. :D

I could almost have written the op myself. Never had so many wrong numbers in my life as l get in Thailand.

And what about the number of calls at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning? Why do these people have to ring me or anyone else at that time of the morning.

My wife always believes me that l don't know any of these women ringing me in the middle of the night... yeah, right.:o

Before you ask, l give out my number to very few people in Thailand, not to bargirls and no ex-girlfriends in the picture either. Sometimes if there is a number there l just pass the phone over to my wife and say for her to call them back, but you know what happens then don't you? She calls them back and they deny having made the call. Think it's about time l startted ignoring any calls from numbers l don't know but then, l also had some tsunami related calls from people l hadn't heard from in a long time.

And Pablo, sometimes the best defense is a strong offense...   :o

ORIGINAL TITLE A Guide for the Married Man

YEAR 1967

RUNNING TIME 91 min.

Funny as heck movie.... and interestingly directed by:

DIRECTOR Gene Kelly