Where To Purchase A Quality Scotch Egg

syd barrett

I have been searching the supermarkets and stores across Pattaya and Jomtien for the perfect Scotch Egg.

Does anyone have any positive suggestions?

I think a lot depends on the quality of the sausage meat used and that it is not overly-spiced. The external casing can also spoil an otherwise acceptable Scotch Egg if the preparation is spoiled.

Comments appreciated.

Would you be able to buy fried Grasshopper, Scorpion or bugs, etc, where you come from?

Scotch Eggs are not that difficult to do if you can get some decent sausage meat and have access to a deep fryer:

6 hard-cooked eggs, well chilled

1 pound breakfast sausage

1/2 cup flour

2 eggs, beaten

3/4 cup fine bread crumbs

Vegetable oil for frying

Peel eggs and set aside. Divide sausage into 6 portions. Roll each egg in flour and with hands press a portion of the sausage around each egg.

Dip sausage-wrapped eggs into beaten eggs and roll in bread crumbs. Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180c).

Cook each egg in oil about 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked and browned. Drain on paper toweling. Serve warm.

If you can not do yourself I bet it would not be hard to find a cafe that would be willing to give the recipe a try when things are quite.

my suggestion, serve warm with fresh buttered bread, a little garnish & sweet chilli source.

Edited by Basil B

Would you be able to buy fried Grasshopper, Scorpion or bugs, etc, where you come from?

Scotch Eggs are not that difficult to do if you can get some decent sausage meat and have access to a deep fryer:

1/2 cup flour

2 eggs, beaten

Vegetable oil for frying

Peel eggs and set aside. Divide sausage into 6 portions. Roll each egg in flour and with hands press a portion of the sausage around each egg.

Home made would be my answer too, problem here though is, where to get consistently good quality, tasty sausage meat??

Dip sausage-wrapped eggs into beaten eggs and roll in bread crumbs. Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180c).

Cook each egg in oil about 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked and browned. Drain on paper toweling. Serve warm.

If you can not do yourself I bet it would not be hard to find a cafe that would be willing to give the recipe a try when things are quite.

my suggestion, serve warm with fresh buttered bread, a little garnish & sweet chilli source.

1/2 cup flour

2 eggs, beaten

Vegetable oil for frying

Home made would be my answer too, problem here though is, where to get consistently good quality, tasty sausage meat??

Oops, dunno what happened here but my reply appeared after ' each egg.' and just before Dip sausage wrapped eggs!!!!!????

Thanks for all the feedback. I shall be going on a massive 'Scotch Egg' fact finding mission tomorrow. I will report back my findings with graphic photographs.

Thanks to the poster with the recipe.

:o

Edited by syd barrett

Thanks for all the feedback. I shall be going on a massive 'Scotch Egg' fact finding mission tomorrow. I will report back my findings with graphic photographs.

Thanks to the poster with the recipe.

:D

Wow sounds like you have a busy Monday ahead of you....better hit the sack early :o

I have been searching the supermarkets and stores across Pattaya and Jomtien for the perfect Scotch Egg.

Does anyone have any positive suggestions?

I think a lot depends on the quality of the sausage meat used and that it is not overly-spiced. The external casing can also spoil an otherwise acceptable Scotch Egg if the preparation is spoiled.

Comments appreciated.

The Bakers Oven has good scotch eggs and also has a really good selection of meat pies and fruit pies. He is a Scot and has been in buisness a few months and is constantly adding new stuff to his inventory. Prices are good and I have not had any complaints with anything I have got from him. He is across Sukhumvit on Phuriburi Resort Rd, Soi Nernplubwan. Across from the Poypet Market and 7/11 is on corner.

The best scotch egg EVER was in Best Supermarket, North Pattaya. I admit that I was fortunate with the timing, as it had just come out the oven and the lady was about to put it on the shelf. I relieved her of her wares and scoffed it promplty.

Friendship Supermarket Scotch Eggs are ok.
Foodmart in Jomtien, Yorkies in Jomtien....

Friendship Supermarket sells Scotch Eggs, but they are pre-packed Yorkies produced, and IMHO Yorkies produce is overpriced and mediocre quality.

I was tempted to purchase just one, for 69 baht (small by the way) but it was not fresh, so I will probably buy one when freshly delivered.

The best scotch egg EVER was in Best Supermarket, North Pattaya. I admit that I was fortunate with the timing, as it had just come out the oven and the lady was about to put it on the shelf. I relieved her of her wares and scoffed it promplty.

Yes, Best Supermarket near Dolphin R/B. Not available every day, but a few times a week.

At 25 baht for two, (cut into four halves) Very good value.

Cheers,

Mike.

Yes, Best Supermarket near Dolphin R/B. Not available every day, but a few times a week.

At 25 baht for two, (cut into four halves) Very good value.

Cheers,

Mike.

This is sounding like a much better lead: 25 Baht for four halves. I will have to check on a daily basis. Thanks!

• 10 months later...
Friendship Supermarket Scotch Eggs are ok.

There has been a marked and noticable improvement in the quality of 'Yorkies' Scotch Eggs in Friendship Supermarket.

Is this because of 'Yorkies' new management?

Yorkies could only improve as they could not get any worse than they are. Their products are disgusting stopped buying them a while ago. KPK for me