Register My Daughter With The Uk

LuckyLucas

Hello All

How do I register my daughter with the UK? she was born on xmas day 2007. I'm down as the dad on the birth certificate.

I'm not bothered about a passport yet as we won't be going to the uk for the forseeable so I just want to register her.

thanks to anyone who can help

regards to all on here

LL

Hello All

How do I register my daughter with the UK? she was born on xmas day 2007. I'm down as the dad on the birth certificate.

I'm not bothered about a passport yet as we won't be going to the uk for the forseeable so I just want to register her.

It should be the same as with Oz Embassy: there is no "registration" of a baby, there is an application for citizenship.

From that moment, your baby is like any UK citizen who wants to have own UK passport.

The passport, if you want it, can come 2 weeks after that (a separate application).

No time limit (unless you wait for 16 years) , we did it with oz 4 years later. We were legally married but it was not a precondition.

Get the passport. You can register the birth but wholly unnecessary and certainly not required for a UK passport or citizenship or anything. Just gives the child a UK style birth certificate. When you apply for the UK passport you have to give them a certified translation of the Thai birth certificate. Thus, they have on record a Thai certificate and the certified translation. What the need is for a UK style one I do not know.

The registration is simply that the child will be registered as a British National born abroad.

But you don't need to do it. She has British Nationality, so long as you're British (and you have your long form Birth Certificate to show that you were born in the UK).

Registration is only useful if you have long lost relatives that might die and leave her money... Or for people in the future searching their family tree. It's of no real benefit otherwise (and typically for the UK any time you deal with the bureaucracy, it costs an excessive amount.)

The passport is at least useful...

Edited by bkk_mike