Thieves Targeting Outbound Passengers At Bangkok Airport

Aswin

Think to much:

You can believe what you want. I work at BKK airport and several others in Asia. Getting stolen goods out of the airport is VERY simple. There are hundreds of vehicles, especially from ground handling companies, security and catering, entering and exiting "airside" every day. The only thing that is being checked is the person driving the vehicle but NOT what is in the vehicle.

The security at BKK airport is only marginally better than a high end condo. I was recently (late Feb. 2009) talking to the Commander of the airport area police because of a violent/pilferage incident. He made it very clear to me, including naming companies in which they have under cover police officers working, that pilferage is a HUGE issue at BKK airport. I have been here over 8 years and things today at Suvarnubhumi airport are even worse than the worst I have seen at Don Muang airport.

There are large markets in BKK where you can buy anything you want and nearly all of it comes from the airport. Airline equipment, airline wine, electronics, etc. are on sale there and if you want something specific that is not on stock you can actually order it and have a few days later.

The general Thai attitude towards rules, corruption, low pay for workers are the main drivers behind these issues. Security measures are MUCH tighter in airports like HKG and SIN.

I have worked at airports in Europe and pilferage is an issue there too, but it is mostly individuals and not a gang operation.

The ones who get caught in BKK get sacked and a letter is sent to the Airports of Thailand Ltd. to make sure they will not be issued and airside pass again. Obviously if someone gets sacked he/she needs to be replaced. These gangs then send applicants and the story continues. Many of these applicants have some sort of debt with other gang members. The scenario is very much the same as girls being given to "brokers" in exchange for a "loan" to the parents and than be made to work as prostitutes. Nearly all "workers" and security guards airside are young males from the poor country side and from my experience I would say at least 20% of them are involved in this type of scenario and are easily "persuaded" to steal.

PM me if you want more details.

By the way: the reason why the other 80% is not talking is, justified, fear of violence against them.

Edited by jrbkk64

I work at BKK airport and several others in Asia. Getting stolen goods out of the airport is VERY simple.

. . .

I have worked at airports in Europe and pilferage is an issue there too, but it is mostly individuals and not a gang operation.

As this poster suggests, it's not just Thailand:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...rt-thefts_N.htm

Why-o-why do we put valuables in our checked luggage.

Because the carry-on limit (7kg) is so low. Although I push the envelope with bum-bags, jackets of many pockets etc., I still have to put some things wrapped up amongst the dirty laundry. Never lost anything though. Used to lock my luggage, now use cable ties.

I agree--carry-on limits are useless, especially when the case it self weighs 2 or 3 Kg--but, I also lock all hold bags, and use hardsided Samsonites, but would you elaborate on 'cable ties' and how to use them?

P.S. Many years ago, when on a return leg of a jewellery buying business trip, thieves at Kabul airport managed to steal my whole bag, which was locked,( the Insurance repayment was pathetic)--and yes, I did have the most expensive stuff, stones etc,, in carry on, but still lost a huge amount.

Kabul airport - The baggage handlers were on a scam where they ask to see your luggage barcode number, then return and tell you its missing, with their outstretched hand - presumably wanting some dollars before miraculously finding your baggage. Dont give anybody that barcode number until either you have retrieved your bag or are convinced it has already gone astray.

Another time in arrivals, when the conveyor belt started up, somebody turned off the lighting system, the belt kept running in total darkness - so no power cut. People were grabbing bags from the conveyor. The lighting returned a couple of minutes later. After all the luggage had supposedly come through - there were a few passengers minus there stuff.

Also, strange, but i must admit reassuring, when you are on the tarmac, before boarding the plane, you have to spot your (previously checked-in) luggage. Once indicated its yours, you watch the guy load it onto the plane.

Maybe paranoia - but you have to try and be aware of all the scams which may be happening around you in these airports.

Playing percentages, I think its just a matter of time before some <deleted> steals my stuff, therefore I try and pack my carry-on/check-in luggage accordingly.

Last year I flew domestic BKK to Phuket with Air Asia. I was late checking in and forget to remove the £500 cash I had in my checked in sports bag (unlocked). As I was late they told me to put my bag through the oversize bag section near check in which has it's own xray machine.

Low and behold when got to Phuket the cash was gone.

I know it was my fault but I really think that if you leave valuables in your checked in luggage and unlocked then more likely than not will be stolen.

I reckon it is a massive problem at the airport. I remember a few years back they had a problem with a gang at Heathrow and they staged a surveillance operation to break it up. Perhaps they should do the same here but doubt the authorities care. I did phone Air Asia from Phuket but they were not interested and did not take it any futher as I assumed the theft took place in BKK and I was now in Phuket.

Pilferage/theft is common at all airports around the world. Thai airports and especially BKK is notorious for theft and security breaches. All airlines know and very frequently ask the authorities to get their act together. The problem is, as usual, that indeed very large gangs with hundreds of members each, some of whom are in senior roles in the airport authority, security companies etc., that these gangs are protected to a large extent. People who talk are frequently beaten up, threathened and even killed. There are enormous amounts of money involved. Most of the culprits are lowly paid staff. The "big" guys buy from them and sell further up the food chain. The problem is spread out over every company operating at the airport, cargo, ground handling, catering, duty free, luggage handlers, airport security, airlines etc, etc. Trust me I know!

I can't believe what I read.

For someone doing baggage loading to steal things from ripped bags (has to rip them open first, like in his own private room and not be on the conveyer while others labor there) - unless it is gold or platinum, what would the poor sod do with laptops and video cameras? Keep them in his pockets throughout his shift? Or would they need , each employee, a bin where they put the stolen goods and nobody cares?

Those guys get scanned on exit, same as the passengers entering the airside.

Then what? Hundreds of employees with bags, backpacks and pockets full of stolen laptops and cameras and whatever go through with no buzz?

Back in early 80s, I worked at the airport as a mechanic, entering and leaving through the same checkpoint with baggage handlers.

On your way in, then, there was no scanning. One guy sold a Fiat car carburator to another guy and at exit - it beeped.

What is this, security asked? It took their managers to come and sign it was nothing from passengers baggage nor a part of an aircraft.

The airport was not as big and sophisticated as Souvarnabhumi, more like Phuket now, but still.

There was another ridiculous post like this a few months back.

Now I can only sniff it could be someone from competing regional airports planting the shit.

Where are the gangs of hundreds baggage stealers at Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur?

Are only Thais the skunks ready to humiliate themselves, compromise their integrity and jobs, their airport and their country?

And for what? Rubbish electronics that is rolling in the streets everywhere in Asia, good chance manufactured in Thailand.

Give me a break.

Why would I trust them? Because they are not that lowlife to give a <deleted> about going through my jocks&socks, cables and find rubbish that is sellable only by kilo.

So.......no one tea-leaves at airports then?

I think you don't think enough.

• 1 month later...
From Bangkokairport website:

Do you have a URL/link to the quote you provided in the opening post? I searched www.bangkokairportonline.com and couldn't find it.

I did a Google search on a snippet of text you quoted and got two hits: this thaivisa.com thread and a LonelyPlanet thorntree thread which also had no link to the original source.

I have now, for the second time, had something (minor) stolen from luggage checked in at BKK airport and two other times it was clear that someone had rummaged through my checked luggage.

It is a big problem. Yes it happens in other countries too. The thing that distinguishes Thailand though is the scale and the total disinterest + ineffective response by all the relevant authorities. We were robbed going phuket-bkk-cnx. Don't think that its only about cameras and cash either - in our case (pun intended) they took our childs clothing and teddy bear!! and some of our clothing. I noticed something was wrong as soon as I picked up the case at Chiang Mai, and we reported it right away.

I was determined to do something about ... reported to police in CNX (it probably happened in BKK sso you have to go back there to report it) ... to air asia ... to Airports of Thailand (AOT). Then to Tourism Authority of Thailand and Ministry of Tourism. Then letters to the Nation and Bangkok Post. Did a bit of research on the net and there are MANY MANY reports of similar ... in travel blogs, in Thaivisa, Trip Advisor, other travel or Thailand related fora, letters to the editor ... for years. And only ever the occasional token bust. And who can forget the wonderous tale of thousands of luggage trollies going missing.

Air Asia told us unofficially what probably happened ... gave us the name of the baggage handling company employed by AOT. Told us that there are specific places where there are no video cameras operating, like in the luggage lift. Everyone knows, no-one acts

AOT ... well you are lucky if you ever get an email or phone call answered (it would be a miracle actually). What a truly pathetic organisation.

Edited by chiangmaibruce