Thieves Targeting Outbound Passengers At Bangkok Airport

Aswin

Anyone had problems ? I lost a video camera myself. I didn't report it however.

From Bangkokairport website:

Tourist police in Thailand have indicated they believe a number of gangs are operating at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport, targeting outbound passengers. The police assumed that the bag was interfered with at some point between check-in and the aircraft.

“I believe there is more than one gang operating at the airport,” said Tourist Police Chief Adis Ngamchitsuksri.

On 26 February, two suspects were arrested after passenger Mohammed Umar contacted the police about items stolen from his luggage. The 57-year-old Qatari left Bangkok on 11 February and found when he arrived in Doha that his luggage had been damaged, the lock broken and a mobile phone and gold ring had been taken.

The police assumed that the bag was interfered with at some point between check-in and the aircraft. The passenger was alerted that someone was using his designer Samsung mobile, due to a special feature that allows the phone to be tracked even when a new SIM card has been inserted.

Investigators tracked the suspects by the new phone number, and found that the phone and ring had been sold to shops in metropolitan Bangkok. The items were recovered.

The thieves in this case worked for the baggage handling service at Suvarnabhumi Airport that was commissioned by Qatar Airways.

Why-o-why do we put valuables in our checked luggage.

Especially small items like jewelery and a mobile phone. All they'll ever get from my baggage outbound at Suvarnabhumi is dirty laundry :o .

Anyhow, so they got thieves working for the baggage handlers at BKK? Tell me something I don't know, you could also substitute about any other airport name you like and the song remains the same.

Because the carry-on limit (7kg) is so low. Although I push the envelope with bum-bags, jackets of many pockets etc., I still have to put some things wrapped up amongst the dirty laundry. Never lost anything though. Used to lock my luggage, now use cable ties.

Pilferage/theft is common at all airports around the world. Thai airports and especially BKK is notorious for theft and security breaches. All airlines know and very frequently ask the authorities to get their act together. The problem is, as usual, that indeed very large gangs with hundreds of members each, some of whom are in senior roles in the airport authority, security companies etc., that these gangs are protected to a large extent. People who talk are frequently beaten up, threathened and even killed. There are enormous amounts of money involved. Most of the culprits are lowly paid staff. The "big" guys buy from them and sell further up the food chain. The problem is spread out over every company operating at the airport, cargo, ground handling, catering, duty free, luggage handlers, airport security, airlines etc, etc. Trust me I know!

Pilferage/theft is common at all airports around the world. Thai airports and especially BKK is notorious for theft and security breaches. All airlines know and very frequently ask the authorities to get their act together. The problem is, as usual, that indeed very large gangs with hundreds of members each, some of whom are in senior roles in the airport authority, security companies etc., that these gangs are protected to a large extent. People who talk are frequently beaten up, threathened and even killed. There are enormous amounts of money involved. Most of the culprits are lowly paid staff. The "big" guys buy from them and sell further up the food chain. The problem is spread out over every company operating at the airport, cargo, ground handling, catering, duty free, luggage handlers, airport security, airlines etc, etc. Trust me I know!

Sadly this is true - but BKK is by no means the worst for pilferage. Remember now the bags are xrayed after check-in so if security company agents are in on the gang they can identify the bags that are worth pilfering and increase efficiency. I have worked in and around airports for 35 years and have been a frequent traveller around the world - I NEVER put anything of value in checked luggage. The baggage system at Swampy is complex and there are too many places where bags could be intercepted by these b@[email protected].

Stealing from checked in luggage is hardly news at the airport in Bangkok. The unofficial taxi mafia have also made a comeback recently and are operating right in front of the 'official' taxi desk.

If the government can't clean up the airport they probably can't run a country either.

Because the carry-on limit (7kg) is so low. Although I push the envelope with bum-bags, jackets of many pockets etc., I still have to put some things wrapped up amongst the dirty laundry. Never lost anything though. Used to lock my luggage, now use cable ties.

Pardon my ignorance, what's the benefit of cable ties? They're easily cut.

Pardon my ignorance, what's the benefit of cable ties? They're easily cut.

Like most thieves they have to be quick about it and if they have to mess around cutting cable ties they are losing time and looking conspicuous not that that's an issue when 90% of the airport is a semi-official scamming ground.

But yes, nothing is foolproof even taking stuff carry on on long haul doesn't prevent someone getting to your stuff when you are asleep.

I think people should be more concerned about people tampering with their baggage, and planting things in the baggage, like drugs.

It amazes me that some people check-in rucksacks and zipper-style bags which could easily be used by a dodgy employee to smuggle via a mule.

Shrink-wrapping or very secure Samsonite multi-lock baggage is the way to go.

Can you imagine trying to prove in Thailand, upon arrival a side pocket-zipper stuffed with drugs?

I agree--carry-on limits are useless, especially when the case it self weighs 2 or 3 Kg--but, I also lock all hold bags, and use hardsided Samsonites, but would you elaborate on 'cable ties' and how to use them?

P.S. Many years ago, when on a return leg of a jewellery buying business trip, thieves at Kabul airport managed to steal my whole bag, which was locked,( the Insurance repayment was pathetic)--and yes, I did have the most expensive stuff, stones etc,, in carry on, but still lost a huge amount.

I agree--carry-on limits are useless, especially when the case it self weighs 2 or 3 Kg--but, I also lock all hold bags, and use hardsided Samsonites, but would you elaborate on 'cable ties' and how to use them?

In economy most airlines are quite strict about a 7kg hand luggage limit, but now laptop computers are accepted as a separate item, which is worth2 kg or so.

Plus I switched from a 2-3kg hand luggage bag to a 400g canvas holdall which helps.

Had a wee problem with Air NZ a couple of years back. Turns out with my CPAP machine (the old 4.5kg model) plus camera plus 3 month's meds, digital still & vid cams, plus a few valuables, I was way over the carry-on limit. They told me I had to transfer stuff to my belly of the plane stuff. I said sure, as long as you will insure me for the full value - around NZ$10k at the time. Nope, had a mild discussion, then I called for the manager. "No problem Managers have a *lot* of discretion, despite what the tv shows would have you believe.

Luggage cable ties are fine but it's best to use colored ones, as the white clear plastic ones when cut can be readily replaced by thieves. colored ones, even 2 different colors per lock, are not so easily replaced with the same colors and thus you would know (not 100%) if your luggage had been rifled, thus warn customs at arrival.

see: http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=m...gage+cable+ties

The US security folks have a new locking system now apparently being sold widely wherein the lock has a green code which changes to red if tampered with. Security and drug enforcement have access to a universal key which opens all these "X" locks without changing the code from green. I am all for this, as my biggest worry is someone adding an unknown to my luggage. Read about this a week or so ago, thought I has saved it, but cannot find the reference. Possibly those in the 'know' can enlighten us.

I have been using the TSA locks for my travel to the US for the last few years, they are so anal about baggage security that if you don't have a TSA approved lock some of the airports make you leave your bag unlocked. Screw that. Not that I trust some of the retards that work for the TSA in the states...

About BKK though, a friend of mine was in a rush to get a connection from New Zealand to Norway and left his laptop at the security checkpoint in Bangkok, they got his details and emailed his wife and they contacted me and I went and picked it up for him and Fedexed it home for him. There are some honest types out there (but then again it was a crap laptop :o )

Edited by TexasRanger

I have been using the TSA locks for my travel to the US for the last few years, they are so anal about baggage security that if you don't have a TSA approved lock some of the airports make you leave your bag unlocked. Screw that. Not that I trust some of the retards that work for the TSA in the states...

About BKK though, a friend of mine was in a rush to get a connection from New Zealand to Norway and left his laptop at the security checkpoint in Bangkok, they got his details and emailed his wife and they contacted me and I went and picked it up for him and Fedexed it home for him. There are some honest types out there (but then again it was a crap laptop :o )

I (stupidly) did the same thing at Suvarnabhumi last year.

I had a 3 year old and 12 month old both asleep on my shoulders and will all our carry on crap, I simply forgot about it.

Half way through the flight to Melbourne I went to find the laptop to grab my pen and do the immigration cards and couldn't find it.

Realising what I had done, I contacted a Jetstar hostie.

Before landing she returned with a phone number for Thai Airlines in Melbourne.

Thai Airlines confirmed their was an unidentified laptop left at the security checkpoint for the gate I departed from.

I was easily able to identify the laptop markings, stickers and serial number to Thai Airlines in Melbourne.

They put it on the next flight to Melbourne and I picked it up 24 hours after leaving it behind.

What a sensation bunch of people involved in all of this (except myself of course!)

Not too long ago an Aussie friend of me put his money pouch in his checked luggage at Brisbane bound for BKK. Don't ask me why he did that, he couldn't even explain it to me. Now fate had it that his bag was taken home at BKK by a Thai who had a similar bag and thus left his own bag behind. My friend contacted the airline immediately, of course, and the next day everybody got reassigned his own bag after going to the airport airline office. The Thai had not opened the bag. But my friend spent some very worrying hours!

I think people should be more concerned about people tampering with their baggage, and planting things in the baggage, like drugs.

It amazes me that some people check-in rucksacks and zipper-style bags which could easily be used by a dodgy employee to smuggle via a mule.

Can you imagine trying to prove in Thailand, upon arrival a side pocket-zipper stuffed with drugs?

Been travelling with rucksacks and bergens through Thailand for ten years now and now problems so far.

The planting occurs prior to the arrival at the airport and the baggage is checked when it's arrived.

If your gear is rammed to bursting, point the planters actual ROI/profitability versus discovery and punishment isn't worth the effort for a few pills or whatever.

I believe that the Australian customs service have agents at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport.

On a recent trip to Perth when I retrieved my suitcase the double zips were in a different position.

My suitcase came on the carousel very fast at Perth so there was not time for an inspection there.

Apart from a smashed wheel the only damage was that someone had unpicked the stitching

on a Velcro fastening on a side pocket of a pair of trousers.

Also I noticed that the check in lady for Singapore airlines made a telephone call while I was checking in at Bangkok.

All sorts of funny things can happen to your checked in luggage without your knowledge and in the name of security.

Any one else have a similar experience?

Anyone had problems ? I lost a video camera myself. I didn't report it however.

From Bangkokairport website:

Tourist police in Thailand have indicated they believe a number of gangs are operating at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, targeting outbound passengers. The police assumed that the bag was interfered with at some point between check-in and the aircraft.

"I believe there is more than one gang operating at the airport," said Tourist Police Chief Adis Ngamchitsuksri.

On 26 February, two suspects were arrested after passenger Mohammed Umar contacted the police about items stolen from his luggage. The 57-year-old Qatari left Bangkok on 11 February and found when he arrived in Doha that his luggage had been damaged, the lock broken and a mobile phone and gold ring had been taken.

The police assumed that the bag was interfered with at some point between check-in and the aircraft. The passenger was alerted that someone was using his designer Samsung mobile, due to a special feature that allows the phone to be tracked even when a new SIM card has been inserted.

Investigators tracked the suspects by the new phone number, and found that the phone and ring had been sold to shops in metropolitan Bangkok. The items were recovered.

The thieves in this case worked for the baggage handling service at Suvarnabhumi Airport that was commissioned by Qatar Airways.

My experience has been the taxi drivers stealing. My wife left her cell phone in a cab and when we got out as we were walking I asked to use her phone, she couldn't find it but she used it in the taxi. We went to our apartment and called her number which was out of service. We then called the taxi service and got the drivers phone number and called him, he denied seeing the phone. After calling the main service many times my Thai wife said they already sell phone.

\

You make a very good point. I only use carry on as I travel ridiculously light. However, if I checked anything in, I would shrink wrap my canvas bag. of course, what would keep some bad people from just totally removing the shrink wrapping? How would you prove you had shrink wrapped before? There would be no sign of tampering. Shame that we have to worry about stuff like this.

I believe that the Australian customs service have agents at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport.

On a recent trip to Perth when I retrieved my suitcase the double zips were in a different position.

My suitcase came on the carousel very fast at Perth so there was not time for an inspection there.

Apart from a smashed wheel the only damage was that someone had unpicked the stitching

on a Velcro fastening on a side pocket of a pair of trousers.

Also I noticed that the check in lady for Singapore airlines made a telephone call while I was checking in at Bangkok.

All sorts of funny things can happen to your checked in luggage without your knowledge and in the name of security.

Any one else have a similar experience?

once my bag was checked ( = opened) by custom cotrol but i found a notice inside.

Edited by Sturbuc

I had a scary experience in April last year when I arrived back in Perth (Australia) from Bangkok. Checked in my luggage and flew Thai Airways. When I landed, I noticed that the security checked stickers on my suitcase were broken.

Not wishing to get a tap on the shoulder as I exited the terminal from the Federal Police or (worse) a drug dealer anxious to get his drugs which I had been carrying for him ... I put my suitcase on a trolley and hailed one of the Federal Police, who came straight over.

I explained the situation to him - that I saw my suitcase scanned at Suvarnabhumi and the security sticker attached, just before I checked in my luggage. I (politely) requested that my suitcase be opened in my presence and the presence of Federal Police in a video surveillance room.

My request was granted and the suitcase was opened by the Feds. It was immediately obvious to all of us that the case HAD been opened and the contents rifled through - but it appeared that nothing had been taken (or nothing had been added).

My bag was given a thorough scan at Customs and cleared. The Feds praised me and said that because I had taken the first step and notified them, if anything suspicious was found in my suitcase, I would not have been responsible.

The suitcase was not locked - but since then I make use of the plastic shrink-wrap services or use coloured cable ties.

Peter

I can't believe what I read.

For someone doing baggage loading to steal things from ripped bags (has to rip them open first, like in his own private room and not be on the conveyer while others labor there) - unless it is gold or platinum, what would the poor sod do with laptops and video cameras? Keep them in his pockets throughout his shift? Or would they need , each employee, a bin where they put the stolen goods and nobody cares?

Those guys get scanned on exit, same as the passengers entering the airside.

Then what? Hundreds of employees with bags, backpacks and pockets full of stolen laptops and cameras and whatever go through with no buzz?

Back in early 80s, I worked at the airport as a mechanic, entering and leaving through the same checkpoint with baggage handlers.

On your way in, then, there was no scanning. One guy sold a Fiat car carburator to another guy and at exit - it beeped.

What is this, security asked? It took their managers to come and sign it was nothing from passengers baggage nor a part of an aircraft.

The airport was not as big and sophisticated as Souvarnabhumi, more like Phuket now, but still.

There was another ridiculous post like this a few months back.

Now I can only sniff it could be someone from competing regional airports planting the shit.

Where are the gangs of hundreds baggage stealers at Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur?

Are only Thais the skunks ready to humiliate themselves, compromise their integrity and jobs, their airport and their country?

And for what? Rubbish electronics that is rolling in the streets everywhere in Asia, good chance manufactured in Thailand.

Give me a break.

Why would I trust them? Because they are not that lowlife to give a <deleted> about going through my jocks&socks, cables and find rubbish that is sellable only by kilo.

Edited by think_too_mut