Swampy Boom 5th Best Airport In The World

it's interesting to read a comment on that link:

"This is just not true. Suvarnabhumi airport was NOT rated the world's 5th best airport of 2008. Halifax Nova Scotia was. Suvarnabhumi didn't even rate in the top 5 for Asia Pacific. It was rated 5th best by size of over 40 million, but then there aren't many airports in that catagory."

Swampy's an ok airport but the whole press release seems a little suspect if not misleading.

Zurich is listed as a top airport, which is a bit of a joke because it is such a dump. I've been to probably 10 or 12 different airports in Europe and Zurich would be down in the relegation zone of my list.

Swampy is rated 5th of all airports of 40M annual capacity or greater, but according to the report there were only 12 airports fitting into this category.

Wikipedia actually lists 15 airports of >40M (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic), and Swampy ain't one of them:

- Atlanta

- Chicago O'Hare

- London Heathrow

- Tokyo Haneda

- Paris De Gaulle

- Los Angeles International

- Dallas Fort Worth

- Beijing

- Frankfurt

- Denver International

- Madrid Barajas

- Amsterdam Schipol

- New York JFK

- Hong Kong International

- Las Vegas McCarran

Personally, I've been to all of the above except Beijing and Denver, and would certainly not rate Swampy significantly any better or any worse than any of the others. When it comes to mass transit and ease of access, most of the above have Swampy crushed hands-down. It isn't even close.

Oh yeah, how many of those people interviewed were part of the Swampy debacle last November??

Let's just call this what it is, part of the continuing effort to whitewash Swampy's history starting with the opening day debacle, followed by the runway debacle and ending the latest episode with the PAD transportus-interruptus debacle. For those who know and have been around, that dog just won't hunt. The smell will always be there.

I found very little wrong with the international operations at the old airport at Don Mueang. As far as I am concerned, Swampy is just another generic airport, not much better or worse than so many other generic airports around the world.

I agree. Propaganda and whitewashing a disaster that started from the day of opening.

And the REAL tourist numbers here!! from Pacific Asia Tourist Authority

"For the fourth quarter, international tourist arrivals fell 28 per cent in Thailand, 15.6 per cent in Sri Lanka, 15.5 per cent in Hawaii and Tahiti and 12.2 per cent in Japan, PATA said. - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

I find the inclusion of Tokyo Haneda rather strange. I thought it was domestic only thus surprised if it's >40m category (maybe capacity but actual working volume?) and I've flown through there a few times and was decidedly unimpressed. I would rate Swampy above Haneda any day.

I find the inclusion of Tokyo Haneda rather strange. I thought it was domestic only thus surprised if it's >40m category (maybe capacity but actual working volume?) and I've flown through there a few times and was decidedly unimpressed. I would rate Swampy above Haneda any day.

Domestic only I think, but a lot of volume. I once took what was essentially a "commuter flight" from Fukuoka to Haneda. The flight was on a 747 configured with 100% coach seating, top to bottom, front to back. The flight was jam packed, probably 500-550 people.

Wikipedia actually lists 15 airports of >40M

wikipedia most probably is outdated - as I remember BKK airport in 2008 was reaching it's capacity 52 mln, certainly well over 40 mln

According to Wiki, the data are current to November 2008 and are from the AIC, which is the same firm that did the survey.

The decision to reopen Don Muang and much of the criticism of Swampy was entirely driven by politics, i.e. there are factions who want to keep the old airport open because it is a money-earner for them, not because it is a good idea. It doesn't matter whether or not there are other cities with two or more airports. If you have the capability it makes sense to consolidate flights in one airport, and it makes no sense to keep two large airports running when you don't have to. As for keeping it as a spare airport, it would be nice to have a spare for everything, but it costs money, lots of it. Most cities in the world have managed to live without duplicate and unneeded facilities.

I just dont get the endless bashing of soo-wanna-poom. I can't find anything to complain about.

I guess it's not bad if you don't mind:

1.) Being accosted by a mob of touts when leaving the bag claim area.

2.) Having to drag your bags to the taxi stand because all the trolleys (luggage carts) were stolen by the airport employees.

3.) Easily being able to find a very expensive Rolex but unable to find a local English language newspaper.

4.) Having to walk a quarter of a mile from your departure gate to find the nearest toilet.

5.) Not being able to find any place open that sells coffee early in the morning when most people want coffee.

6.) Waiting in line endlessly to clear pasport control because only a very few of the immigration desks are open.

7.) One would think that if an airport were designed with lots of glass windows that they might clean those windows sometime.

Whatever criteria they used to rank Suvarnabhumi no. 5 in the world is beyond me. I too have been through most all of the airports listed in post # 3 and IMHO Swampy should rank very near the bottom of that list.

Yes, this is a rant but all of the complaints listed are valid

Edited by Groongthep

Wikipedia actually lists 15 airports of >40M

wikipedia most probably is outdated - as I remember BKK airport in 2008 was reaching it's capacity 52 mln, certainly well over 40 mln

According to Wiki, the data are current to November 2008 and are from the AIC, which is the same firm that did the survey.

looks like these data contradicts itself - BKK the 5th in the class over 40mln and ommition of BKK from the list of airports over 40mln. Always double check Wiki as a source

Haneda has a handful of scheduled international flights to Seoul, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

In the recent past, there was a proposal to open HND up to all international arrivals/departures but with some bizarre time slot like 1100pm to 700am. (Don't quote me on the times, but I'm pretty sure it was the middle of the night.) Not sure if that proposal became reality or not.

I just dont get the endless bashing of soo-wanna-poom. I can't find anything to complain about.

2.) Having to drag your bags to the taxi stand because all the trolleys (luggage carts) were stolen by the airport employees.

3.) Easily being able to find a very expensive Rolex but unable to find a local English language newspaper.

4.) Having to walk a quarter of a mile from your departure gate to find the nearest toilet.

5.) Not being able to find any place open that sells coffee early in the morning when most people want coffee.

6.) Waiting in line endlessly to clear pasport control because only a very few of the immigration desks are open.

7.) One would think that if an airport were designed with lots of glass windows that they might clean those windows sometime.

Whatever criteria they used to rank Suvarnabhumi no. 5 in the world is beyond me. I too have been through most all of the airports listed in post # 3 and IMHO Swampy should rank very near the bottom of that list.

8) Waiting for your flight and trying to find a western-style pub (like the old one at Don Meuang) where you can relax with a few beers, some grub and a bit of atmosphere.

9) And when you do get to your boarding gate, staring at drab, grey concrete while sitting on uncomfortable and freezing metal seats.

It continues to remind me of a Soviet tractor factory!!

However, I shouldn't be too hard on Swampy. We were stuck at Doha airport, Qatar for 6 hours during the Swampy blockade in December. Now THERE'S a real shit-hole!!! If you haven't been there, DON'T!!

Edited by jamesjdaly

a simple 'no thanks' does the trick. they're not exactly aggressive or intimidating and I'd hardly call it a mob - it's the odd tout here and there.

I've always seen plenty of trolleys. I don't use them anyway - my case, like many others, has wheels.

iirc family marts are in or near the airport.

exaggeration.

wouldn't know but probably an exaggeration.

I've heard this a few times but I've never had a problem. I had a little wait on the way out once. on the way in just head to the left as you come towards the desks - always smaller queues. everyone seems to walk straight into the longest lines.

can't say it's caught my eye.

I'm not being argumentative mate but these are pretty weak reasons and besides wouldn't make swampy a 'bad' airport IMO. :o

8) Waiting for your flight and trying to find a western-style pub (like the old one at Don Meuang) where you can relax with a few beers, some grub and a bit of atmosphere.

now, I would agree with this. swampy could do with a decent, smoking pub.

From Airports Council International's website (ACI):

Mention of Swampy is in Best Airport by size of Airport over 40 milion pasengers 5th place, NOT best airport world rank 5

ACI Airport Service Quality Awards 2008 - 10/03/2009

GENEVA, 10 March 2009 ― Airports Council International (ACI) today announced the top performing airports in the Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Survey – the most thorough airport customer service benchmarking programme available to airport management teams. The survey captures the passengers' perception of the quality of more than 30 aspects of service that they have experienced at the airport. Interviewing covers every day of the week and every month of the year to ensure coverage of all seasons and all peaks and troughs.

blank.gif For the fourth year in a row, the top three performing airports in the world were in the Asia-Pacific Region, with Incheon International Airport in South Korea winning the coveted Best Airport Award. Passenger satisfaction with the new Terminal 3 promoted Singapore Changi Airport into 2nd place this year, with Hong Kong International Airport coming in at a close 3rd place.

The top performing airports in other regions were Zurich, Switzerland (Europe), Halifax, Canada (North America), Guayaquil, Ecuador (Latin America & Caribbean), Tel Aviv (Middle East) and George, South Africa (Africa). In the five categories based on annual-passenger traffic size, top honours went to Halifax (less than 5 million), Central Japan (Nagoya) (5-15 million), Taipei (15-25 million), Seoul Incheon (25-40 million) and Hong Kong (over 40 million). The top ranking airports for each category are listed at the end of this release.

To be eligible for the annual rankings, an airport must participate during all four quarters of the year. In 2008, the rankings were based on the results of over 200,000 questionnaires completed by passengers at 108 airports. Thanks to the extensive and regular feedback, the ASQ programme allows airports to immediately reap the benefits of gaining insight into how their passengers rate them, and they can also follow the results of other participating airports around the world.

Director General, Angela Gittens comments, "As the industry benchmark of airport service quality, the ASQ Survey programme is enabling airports to understand and respond to the needs of their passengers. Survey results show that overall passenger satisfaction continues to improve year-on-year. This reflects the importance airports are placing on customer satisfaction and the innovation in services that we are seeing worldwide. The programme continues to grow which demonstrates that airports care very much about their customers, no matter how tough the economic situation."

A reliable monitor of airport service, ASQ is used by many airports as one of the key performance indicators of the airport's service. ASQ data is often linked into service level agreements, key performance indicators, concession agreements, privatisation agreements and remuneration contracts all over the world.

Airport staff are vital for the provision of excellent service, but if there is a fundamental problem with the airport's infrastructure then no people-based initiative will solve that issue. Top airports recognise that the most important aspect of providing great service in an airport is the provision of a spotlessly clean terminal and a relaxed, open, friendly ambience. They also recognise that it is vital to address the basics first. Comfortable waiting areas, good signage and clean, readily accessible washrooms are the most important elements to a passenger, for example. ASQ identifies where the key issues lie.

Commenting on the Best Improvement Award to Beijing Capital International Airport, Gittens continues, "I am pleased to see that passengers have recognised the considerable efforts that Beijing made in opening a new terminal and enhancing its services during the year and the important role it played in facilitating the very successful Summer Olympic Games. Their success in mobilising the entire airport community in their customer service improvement initiative resulted in significant improvement in passenger satisfaction scores in the ASQ Survey."

Recognising the central role that airport staff play in the delivery of services to passengers, ACI has established a regional award for the airport which, in the opinion of the passengers, has the most courteous and helpful staff. The Airport People Award winners in 2008 were Southampton (Europe), Incheon (Asia Pacific) and Halifax (North America). In the last special award category, Best Domestic Airport, Central Japan (NGO), Halifax and Ottawa garnered the top places.

Edited by tartempion

a simple 'no thanks' does the trick. they're not exactly aggressive or intimidating and I'd hardly call it a mob - it's the odd tout here and there.

Lame excuse. You don't find touts in any of the better airports in the world and they don't belong here either.

I've always seen plenty of trolleys. I don't use them anyway - my case, like many others, has wheels.

My last 2 arrivals (in late December and again in early January).... no trolleys. Was documented in the Bangkok Post too.

Neither the Bangkok Post or the Nation have ever been available when I've been there.

exaggeration.

Hardly. A quarter of a mile is about 400 meters. It's easily that far at many gates.

It's never been available the dozens of times I've been there early in the morning.

I've heard this a few times but I've never had a problem. I had a little wait on the way out once. on the way in just head to the left as you come towards the desks - always smaller queues. everyone seems to walk straight into the longest lines.

So you agree.

Take a look next time. They are filthy.

I'm not being argumentative mate but these are pretty weak reasons and besides wouldn't make swampy a 'bad' airport IMO. :D

Nonsense. Swampy is a poorly designed and even more poorly run airport. It is quite bad.

now, I would agree with this. swampy could do with a decent, smoking pub.

Yeah right, smoking would make the place so much better. :o

Edited by Groongthep

All Suwanna needs is a couple of good old 'Dog and Duck' type gin joints similar to the upstairs bar at Don Ms International before check in ...wot woz its name...?....yes... Bill Bentlys ......

Failing that I will continue to stick to the Magic 'Dive Bar' and cocktail lounge (half price on rip offs above)

Still recon Swampy a great Airport and a tribute to the forward thinking PM who pushed for it.....errr wot woz his name........

must be geting old...mems going... :o

Get a life and open your eyes, you are the blind leading the blind........<deleted>.

GARBAGE, only agree with one, and it is not all that bad, window cleanliness.

If like me, you arrive late evening, yeah Post or Nation may be sold out, so are most daily papers, but not often.

I arrive late and stay over getting 1st flite to Phuket in the am.

Magic Food Point, level 1 near gate 8, is open 24/7, I feed up there and then go to level 1, where there are a few soft seats, curl up and have a kip.

Watse of time going into Bangers for just a few hours.

Lame excuse. You don't find touts in any of the better airports in the world and they don't belong here either.

My last 2 arrivals (in late December and again in early January).... no trolleys. Was documented in the Bangkok Post too.

Neither the Bangkok Post or the Nation have ever been available when I've been there.

exaggeration.

Hardly. A quarter of a mile is about 400 meters. It's easily that far at many gates.

It's never been available the dozens of times I've been there early in the morning.

So you agree.

Take a look next time. They are filthy.

I'm not being argumentative mate but these are pretty weak reasons and besides wouldn't make swampy a 'bad' airport IMO. :D

Nonsense. Swampy is a poorly designed and even more poorly run airport. It is quite bad.

:o like I said, I wasn't being argumentative.

perhaps you should get yourself laid - then you might not moan about having to walk to go to the toilet or missing out on the odd latte.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
I travelled outbound thru Swampy on the 9th March and the only rating of 5 it would achieve is the 5th hottest airport - it was sweltering inside and if there is air its not good enough.

Returned through "swampy" on 23rd of the month still stand by "bloody hot" rated 5th "is bloody rot" but to its favour It (Swampy that is) makes Kingsford Smith (Sydney) look like a slum and I am an Ozzie.

I've flown in and out of haneda and narita about 20 times each and they both suck. Swampy is on of the better airports in asia IMHO- but restaurants charges are out of line.

I've flown in and out of haneda and narita about 20 times each and they both suck. Swampy is on of the better airports in asia IMHO- but restaurants charges are out of line.

I think swampy's prices are not too bad. You should check out the prices in China like Baiyun. A cup of coffee costs $20 USD!

I fly in and out every 5 weeks. Sometimes I get lucky and am outside in about the same time as Changi, and other times I dont. It depends on the flight times and the passenger load. I will agree that the windows are looking dirty and actually the whole place is starting to look a little shabby to me, It hasnt been open that long, So I guess its down to the quality of the furnishings. I wouldnt say its a really bad airport, just that after all the hype by the PooYai's It just hasnt lived up to expectations. The overall passenger flow design was trashed to turn it into a giant shopping mall. Passenger comfort outside the lounges are non-existant, contrast that with Dubai,Joburg,Changi where there are quiet rooms and decent seating areas (before anyone starts, No I dont like Dubai).

This time I flew in was the second time I had to put up with the new "meeting place" restrictions, walking along to meet my wife and being bombarded with "taxi taxi pattaya pattaya" from the touts on the level above has gotten really old. How anyone can say they are not offended by this is beyond me. AOT should open up and allow other companies to provide limo services like it was at DM. This is also the second time there were no Trolly's available, regardless of whether your bag has wheels or not my carry on is fairly heavy and I prefer to use a trolly for it and my Suitcase. The vehicle flow is off balance as there is no dedicated Taxi lane (aka Changi) so you get taxi's hanging around or driving very slow hoping for a pick up.

If they could have built and opened and run it without the short-cuts and the corruption then it would probably be a very fine airport, but it is simply too late for that.

In all fairness it is much better than Luanda or Brazzaville, but how many people even want to travel there, Everyone knocks LHR but its probably just sour grapes because they have to go there and back to their mundane existance, I found T5 very fast and efficient when I travelled through it. On the list given I have been to many of the bigger airports, yes there are worse, but there are really no 2 year old airports that are worse anywhere in the world.

Edited by Freddie_fly