Pervert On A Van

TAWP

What would I have done differently?

I would have minded my own business.

This is not a "damsel in distress" situation and it IS the 21st century! The woman was in a safe environment, did not ask for help, and what was going on with the guy is--in my opinion--none of my business.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing particularly wrong with what you did. I wouldn't have gotten involved, myself though.

I lived in Hong Kong and used to take a tram to work. I got on at the beginning so usually got a place to sit. Next stop, it was so full you needed a lubricant to get on. I got off at the end of the line. One day, there was a lady who standing in front of me and kept shooting menacing looks at me. I wasn't touching her or moving. The guy behind her was pushed right up against her, as was everyone on the tram. Toward the end, I got another menacing look. I looked back and the tram was nearly empty. The guy behind her had his dick out and been 'humping' her until he came all over her dress. This was all within inches of my eyes, but I didn't 'see' it, because I am rather sure I wouldn't believe what I saw. As I recall, this is called frotage.

She should of smacked him in the teeth and made a big scene however it was not your business to interfere and put yourself at risk by making him lose face, how many times have you heard of people being shot because of so called making someone lose face.

I would be very careful in future.

Thai men are pigs where women are concerned, on multiple occasions driving home thai guys in back of pick up trucks make inuendos to her while I am right there but i don't see it she tells me right away and I do the exact same to them as I go by they seem to find it funny but its clear to them she has told me if not might look funny a guy like me puckering up and blowing kisses to a bunch of guys in the back of a pick up. :o

I'm totally bewildered. The OP posts a topic asking "what would you have done differently?" and then pops back up all the way through the thread arguing his point with everyone who has answered that he should have minded his (or perhaps her) own business.

Obviously the thread topic was a rhetorical question and invitation to debate rather than seek people's opinion and advice.

Reminds me of an incident in Melbourne, Australia in 2007 where two people intervened when they saw a burly guy dragging a woman out of a taxi. The "burly guy" pulled out a gun and shot the two would-be heroes and the girl - killing one of them, a 43-year-old solicitor and father of three kids.

Why go looking for trouble (unless it's your job)? There's enough dangers as there is without looking for it and getting involved in something so trivial because of your perceived "bonding" with the woman you sometimes share a van with.

In any event, she's Thai and a mature one from your description, so in a much better position culturally and language-wise to handle the situation if she was distressed.

Now she'll probably have nightmares, require countless hours of counseling, suffer sleep deprivation, flashbacks, post traumatic stress disorder, in addition to be liable to suffering any manner of phobias ranging from bus phobia to intimacy phobia, end up divorced (if married, or become a lesbian at best if not married) for failing to be able to perform her conjugal relations, and spend her elderly years wandering the streets looking for an outstretched "index finger". :o

Don't ask a question if you're not prepared for the variety of answers for and against you will receive.

fighting_46.gif Flame away.

why would you not make it obvious that you were awake and able to see him in the FIRST instance of this?

whether he was doing something bad or not, if you suspected something then you could have easily stopped him

you allowed him to continue??? that i dont understand!

I'm totally bewildered. The OP posts a topic asking "what would you have done differently?" and then pops back up all the way through the thread arguing his point with everyone who has answered that he should have minded his (or perhaps her) own business.

Obviously the thread topic was a rhetorical question and invitation to debate rather than seek people's opinion and advice.

I responded to posts in a capacity as everyone else, especially as some didn't really respond in the asked manner, i.e. 'what would you have done differently'.

If you are upset I would dare to have an opinion on my own experience, then I am sorry to have offended you.

What I would have done differently ?

Its none of my business , I think its a bit foolish as well you did that ,

to confront Thai people with something such a small thing .

Before you know he feels he lost his face and plans revenge on you !

Shouldn't be worth the fuss what you did ! Guess the woman could have taken care of herself ,

I he went even further , and just like all Thais should have shut up , unless you are a witness

of a crime the woman herself need a witness for .

So would have done everything differently , thinking why this woman didn't felt anything ....

typical cowardice, this head in the sand attitude.

i hope your wife or daughter never need help with somone like you in the vicinity.

You clearly do not understand what I meant , It is not very smart to take your nose in problems with strangers ,

everybody should know that when ong enough in Thailand , when its not helping anything better shut up is not

keeping my head in the sand , its experience , and in fact to take care of myself getting in unwanted problems because I do

have a family and children who I have responsibity over , me getting in a potential problem is not helping that is it ?

If my close friend or family member is in need of help is a different story .

You don't know me and better learn more how to stay out of trouble in Thailand .

Shouldn't be worth the fuss what you did ! Guess the woman could have taken care of herself ,

I he went even further , and just like all Thais should have shut up , unless you are a witness

So would have done everything differently , thinking why this woman didn't felt anything ....

i hope your wife or daughter never need help with somone like you in the vicinity.

100% agree.

Almost wish that wifes, sisters, and daughter of some of the posters here will end in the same situation.

But then again, they are innocent as well, and should not pay for their relatives' attitudes.

Are you guys trying to flame me ?

If I think what I probably would have done, depends on the situation , I think I would have talked to him and

say tammarai , would have been enough I think , very different then taking the guy on camera etc ,

but please do not get this personal and stay on topic , the Op is just saying what you would have done differently ,

flaming is not the answer .

Edited by tijnebijn

Problem you have now is u need to watch your back in that particular area. As the guy could quite easily pay a couple of somchai's to shall we say remove your phone next time you are waiting for the bus.

Although it has good intentions you probably would not get any come back from the guy in the west. In Bangkok its very easy for him to revenge either himself, influential people he knows, or a several thousand baht to the motorcycle mafia at the corner of the road.

Nice genuine intentions but in BKK I wouldnt have to be honest. Don't make em loose face in front of a crowd of people.....seen people beaten senseless for less and left for dead.

there it is again, a warning from the crew of cowards.

they are sneaky these thais, the pervert has probably called his buddies in the pervert mafia and soon you will be dangling from the nearest bridge.

Maybe you should leave the country! Better yet, leave Aisia, they are all in on it together you know!

be very afraid, you are probably being watched now!!!!!

what crap.

She should of smacked him in the teeth and made a big scene however it was not your business to interfere and put yourself at risk by making him lose face, how many times have you heard of people being shot because of so called making someone lose face.

I would be very careful in future.

Thai men are pigs where women are concerned, on multiple occasions driving home thai guys in back of pick up trucks make inuendos to her while I am right there but i don't see it she tells me right away and I do the exact same to them as I go by they seem to find it funny but its clear to them she has told me if not might look funny a guy like me puckering up and blowing kisses to a bunch of guys in the back of a pick up. :o

and again, you people astonish me. this is a city with 12 million people in it. with the son of a koh samui family discretion may be the better part of valour, but a wanke_r on a bus, give me a break.

-- just let him come dear, then maybe he will fall asleep.

well said TS, this attitude is exactly why the world is in such a sorry state IMHO.

Personally I think that the OP actually did something was very brave of him. It's so easy to just look away, pretend it's not happening right in front of your eyes. And probably I might have looked away too, though I'd like to think I would actually have said something early on or made it very obvious I could see what this perv was doing or started coughing really loudly ...

Many women (including myself) have found themselves in a public situation where they're not sure that somebody is being obscene towards them. Was that touch accidental? Is this guy really sleeping or purposely putting his hand near me? Is this just a crowded train? etc. I've felt quite helpless and a little shocked when such things have happened. Thankfully such episodes have never been very serious for me, but at the time I remember just freezing in disbelief, uncertainty and a little fear.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if a person approached me after and said they had evidence on camera etc. Sure very embarrassed, but I think I would have been glad that the person had confronted the perv and had actually done something.

So well done OP.

Problem you have now is u need to watch your back in that particular area. As the guy could quite easily pay a couple of somchai's to shall we say remove your phone next time you are waiting for the bus.

Although it has good intentions you probably would not get any come back from the guy in the west. In Bangkok its very easy for him to revenge either himself, influential people he knows, or a several thousand baht to the motorcycle mafia at the corner of the road.

Nice genuine intentions but in BKK I wouldnt have to be honest. Don't make em loose face in front of a crowd of people.....seen people beaten senseless for less and left for dead.

they are sneaky these thais, the pervert has probably called his buddies in the pervert mafia and soon you will be dangling from the nearest bridge.

Maybe you should leave the country! Better yet, leave Aisia, they are all in on it together you know!

what crap.

I don't normally like to agree with t.s because he can be **flame removed***....BUT he is definately right on this occassion. Well done t.s, new you would eventually pull one out of ur hat after a couple of thousand posts :o

I was caught on a busy tram here in Geneva.

The guy behind me was a bit odiforous and the guy in front was a wannabe hoodie.

The guy behind got rather excited with the rattle and roll of the tram tracks and the guy in front's pet rat showed his wee pink nose out of the hood, snuffling as they do.

I screamed at the rat and the guy behind made a quick exit.

The behind guy is well know around town. It's a bit of discomfort for about 30-50 seconds and my friends and i have decided "hey give the poor guy a break" syndrome. He's not hurting nobody and if it makes his day...

I just wonder if he has to wear special underwear...

Edited by Patsycat

Short story from some 1h ago:

Sitting in a minivan that goes a direct-route from a BKK-suburb to a central location (one of the main biz-streets for companies) and due to the van being packed I decide not to wrestle out my headset from my bag and subsequently I am wide awake the whole trip while other commuters dose off. I'm in the position furthest to the back, in the middle. Infront and to the left of me is a 26-30 year thai male sitting, around some 1.7m tall, decently dressed. Immediately infront of him there is a woman sitting that I often see traveling to work at the same time. She is some 38-42 years old and think she works as some manager at a bank not too far from my office.

Some minutes into the ride I notice the guy is holding the flip-down seats backrest, the one the woman is sitting on. Nothing wrong with that, people do it a lot of times to maintain balance in a bumpy ride. Perhaps it was the fact that it wasn't bumpy or the fact that his index finger was partly extended that caught my eye. I after a while see how he slowly pushes his hand forward around the backrest, as to touch the woman. I assume he wants to make contact, perhaps to negotiate the positioning of the curtains. No contact is made and is hand is slowly withdrawn.

A little while later he is back, this time he slowly does the same thing again but with his index finger more clearly extended, and move the hand and finger across her side.

"Did he just try to get some side-boob feeling?" I ask myself.

"No, what kind of pervert would do that?" I tell myself and shake it off.

A while later the woman is leaning slightly forward (presumably for being hot against the backseat or perhaps due to feeling un-easy for some reason) and he is back with his hand. This time he doesn't reach around, but he moves his finger-top across the womans (through the fabric visible as outlines) bra. Now I'm sure. He isn't doing this by accident.

So up the cellphone camera comes.

For is there one thing I have been able to learn; always get evidence if you are going to make a fuss about anything here. You are a foreigner and he could easily talk his way out of it infront of the others or his victim.

So when he comes back for another go I am ready with the camera. By this time I think he is suspecting someone is on to him. He glances partly back between his tries and they are slightly more subtle. Slightly harder to catch. Not as obvious for his sleeping fellow travelers. But I get it on camera. So I decide to confront him as we have almost reached our destination and people are starting to get off in their locations, making it unlikely he will go for another try.

So eventually I turn on the camera, tap hm on the shoulder and inform him that I have him on camera and now I have his face too.

Eventually I get off, inform him again of what I have and then run up to the woman in question and inform her of what I have. From her reactions she was suspecting there was something going on with him (hence why she leaned forward probably) and thanked me for showing the clips. I gave her my biz-card and told her to contact me and I can give her all the clips if she wants them.

What would you have done differently?

(And I did mention to the guy in question that if I see him do this on any other trip [assuming I see him again] I would put them on 'the internet'.)

Good Job, Thats what I probably would have done if not just simply got in the guy's face with a menacing, but then my Thai is good enough to explain what was up. You did the right thing. Good on ya.

what crap.

Exactly! :o