Man Refused Service At Samui Immigration

Amazing... pretty much every tour book, Thai Tourist website and any Thai, tourist and farang expat will tell you in Thai culture modesty is well accepted and the reverse...well....not so much.

Not only is the no shirt a no-no, but NO SHORTS EITHER!!! IMMIGRATION IS A GOVERNMENT OFFICE UNDER THE KING!!!

Showing a disrepect in a government office as the same as showing disrespect to the King, and if you're going to do that, you might as well as stay home in your own country.

We do not need anymore visual pollution in Thailand.

Shirt covering shoulders, pants/trousers covering all of your legs for all government offices, Royal buildings including museums and of course all Thai Buddhist Wat Temples.

WHENEVER IN DOUBT IN THAILAND...LOOK AROUND AND SEE WHAT THE THAI PEOPLE ARE DOING...USUALLY A SAFE BET...USUALLY. :o

1.We are talking about Samui not about the rest of Thailand

2.Shorts are ok at least on Samui, believe me.

3.The only government office some tourists see, is the immigration and nobody will check before how Thai people are dressed there. It would be pointless as well, because no Thai will be there asking for visa service.

4.Have you ever lived on Samui?

5.Who is we?

Government offices are just that , no matter where you are , you should engage brain.How do you expect respect when one shows none? Do you walk in the bank with no shirt on? Many countries have seaside resorts, do you think they do that at home?

We are talking about Samui, so what? Is respect optional? Do you leave your manners at the airport when you land?I know some people leave their brains there. :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is such a big problem then immigration should dummy proof it. Stick up a sign, with pictures, which says how people are to dress when visiting the office. Dead easy. If this is a one-off, then it is a one-off and no biggie.

I know people will throw out the "common sense" argument... but hey, this is Thailand and common sense, by some accounts, is in short supply by all. And by all, I mean both natives and non-natives.

TheWalkingMan

Perhaps they were speaking in Swedish? mattias, is, I believe, from Sweden.

That also led me to believe they were Swedish SBK, yes.... :D

Along with the Swedish/Thai Book they had, as mentioned..

I am from Sweden that is correct. And been traveling the world and have not yet to meet any nationality except norweigians or danish people that can spot the Swedish language. Msingh is Norweigian? I can´t begin to tell you how sorry i am. :o:D .

Amazing... pretty much every tour book, Thai Tourist website and any Thai, tourist and farang expat will tell you in Thai culture modesty is well accepted and the reverse...well....not so much.

Not only is the no shirt a no-no, but NO SHORTS EITHER!!! IMMIGRATION IS A GOVERNMENT OFFICE UNDER THE KING!!!

Showing a disrepect in a government office as the same as showing disrespect to the King, and if you're going to do that, you might as well as stay home in your own country.

Shirt covering shoulders, pants/trousers covering all of your legs for all government offices, Royal buildings including museums and of course all Thai Buddhist Wat Temples.

WHENEVER IN DOUBT IN THAILAND...LOOK AROUND AND SEE WHAT THE THAI PEOPLE ARE DOING...USUALLY A SAFE BET...USUALLY. :o

3.The only government office some tourists see, is the immigration and nobody will check before how Thai people are dressed there. It would be pointless as well, because no Thai will be there asking for visa service.

5.Who is we?

Government offices are just that , no matter where you are , you should engage brain.How do you expect respect when one shows none? Do you walk in the bank with no shirt on? Many countries have seaside resorts, do you think they do that at home?

We are talking about Samui, so what? Is respect optional? Do you leave your manners at the airport when you land?I know some people leave their brains there. :D

Roo, It's quite allright and respectfull to enter the immigration here on Samui with nice, clean SHORTS AND A NICE CLEAN SHIRT.

But in BKK it is not so.

I was talking about shorts, not about no shirts.

Edited by Birdman

5.Who is we?

Roo, It's quite allright and respectfull to enter the immigration here on Samui with nice, clean SHORTS AND A NICE CLEAN SHIRT.

I was talking about shorts, not about no shirts.

Apologies.

If this is such a big problem then immigration should dummy proof it. Stick up a sign, with pictures, which says how people are to dress when visiting the office. Dead easy. If this is a one-off, then it is a one-off and no biggie.

I know people will throw out the "common sense" argument... but hey, this is Thailand and common sense, by some accounts, is in short supply by all. And by all, I mean both natives and non-natives.

TheWalkingMan

I don't think this is a one off, seen people sent out before. From memory ,they used to have a sign in immigration about proper dress code.

I like to barrack for the underdog, so I'm going to have to try to defend this guy for the following reason.

There is nothing "culturally wrong" by men not wearing shirts. Except perhaps if you're muslim and even some of them don't live by that rule.

I have seen heaps of middle aged guys around Asia countries walking around without shirts on (not just the coolies). Thailand they do it. Macau they do it. Hong Kong they do it. Vietnam etc etc..... Now I agree with everyone here, that it's obscene to be going into govt department or doing shopping without being fully presented in clean clothes, But there's nothing "culturally" wrong (as people here seem to think) with relaxing in your front yard without a shirt on a hot afternoon. Who cares if people walking past see, no one will be offended, although it seems some of the people here are a little over-sensitive!

Go down to the park on anyday and you'll see heaps of people training, or playing football/basketball/takraw and you'll see people without shirts. It's hot, and sweating in a cotton shirt ain't fun :o

True there is nothing "culturally wrong" but no Asian goes to a government office without a shirt on. It doesn't take alot of common sense to know where its appropriate to go without a shirt and where it is not. :o

True there is nothing "culturally wrong" but no Asian goes to a government office without a shirt on. It doesn't take alot of common sense to know where its appropriate to go without a shirt and where it is not. :o

I do agree with your post sbk, but at the same time the fact is that in the northern countries, were we are happy if we get 4 weeks/year when we can be without a shirt, it is "culturally accepted" to say the least, to go without a shirt in most places. Allthough i personally never felt comfortable without a shirt if im indoors, like in a mall or even worse the tax deparment or similar, it is still nothing that people would react or frown upon over there in the summer. I am still not trying to defend the behavior of the man in the op, but just trying to explain how he might think. "It´s hot=no shirt, it´s cold=full dress". Dont miss any chans to get the sun on your body. I´m sure he would have brought a shirt and put it on if he new how rude it is, but i just dont think he knew. However, most lightly he know by now, or else he is on a overstay. :D .

Edited by mattias33

I am from Sweden that is correct. And been traveling the world and have not yet to meet any nationality except norweigians or danish people that can spot the Swedish language. Msingh is Norweigian? I can´t begin to tell you how sorry i am. :o:D .

Mattias, what is it about the fact that i spotted the couple with a Swedish/Thai Phrasebook that made me realise that they were Swedish, that you don't seem to understand ???

Mattias, what is it about the fact that i spotted the couple with a Swedish/Thai Phrasebook that made me realise that they were Swedish, that you don't seem to understand ???

Maybe the fact that a book about thailand bought in sweden will never have a swedish flag on it. All books in a swedish bookstore is in swedish. It will most lightly have a Thaiflag on it ifyou asked me. But they could have been from Sweden anyway, just that i think you couldnt tell thats all. But for me it dosent really matter so i let you off the hook now. :D .

Maybe the fact that a book about thailand bought in sweden will never have a swedish flag on it. All books in a swedish bookstore is in swedish. It will most lightly have a Thaiflag on it ifyou asked me. But they could have been from Sweden anyway, just that i think you couldnt tell thats all. But for me it dosent really matter so i let you off the hook now. :D .

Are you honestly accusing me of outright lying about the fact that the Girl didn't actually have a Thai/Swedish Phrasebook ???? :D

& Mattias, no one asked you what Flag you thought/think was on the Book, i'm telling you, in the context of this thread & posts, that the Book had a Swedish Flag on it ( it might have had a Thai Flag too but i juts didn't notice it )..

Based on that, i assumed they were Swedish..

They could have also been from Swaziland also Mattias like i said, just carrying a Thai/Svenske Phrasebook.. :o

Jesus Mattias, you're hard work, & i wouldn't mind if it was because you was that smart.......................

Edit : Also Mattias, your grasp of the English Language is nowhere near as good as you think it is & i think that's why you seem to get into difficulties & have communication problems on here, hope it gets better for you in the future & you can learn some more.. :D

Edited by MSingh

The audience can't wait for Mattia's reply.

If that´s so, i of course have to do it. Here it comes:

I personally, but that´s only me, think msingh is pulling legs, he didnt have a clue of the nationality he ever spoke ablout. He has proven it with online dictionarys calling svenska-svenske wich is what google would do for you (it is Norwegean or Danish (for instans samuijens could confirm this if he feels like it) translastion of swedish) but to be honest, it is enough for me knowing that msingh is f.o.s without telling everybody else, wich is why i said "i let you of the hook". Sadly, he wants to continue this off topic thing and i will answer as long as he does. Out of respect. So, any more questions about how you made a fool of yourself using google, msingh? I´m here to give you the answers, just trow questions. Otherwise, case closed?

The Thailand Guide in Swedish with the Flag in it that the Girl had gave it away Mattias... :o

But of course, they may have been from Swaziland & juts happened to have a Swedish Guide Book... :D

Maybe the fact that The Thailand Guide book magically and conveniently converted to a Swedish/Thai Phrasebook, when

you realized that there would not be a Swedish flag on the guidebook... :D

Certainly not just the UK contingent though i may add, there's bad apples in every bunch, including ( & some would argue especially ) the Scandi's who just because many have beautiful blonde Hair, beautiful Tans & a 6 Pack, seem to think they should be modelling for Calvin Klein & it's regualry ok to have their Tops off & a prime example was when i was in Mama's Burgers yesterday where a young Swede proceded to sit himself down in front of our Table waiting for a Take Away, whilst we were eating, with his beautiful hair & beautiful Tan, no Shirt in sight, with i assume his GF who put a Shirt on over her Bikini when she entered the Building, but he started to flex his Muscles etc &, for want of a better word, big up his chest & self..

So, MSingh, what is the real problem? - Swede's? - Scandi's? - Mattias?

To me it seams more like you got really big problems with the person behind the nick MSingh... :D

If i go over the top with the following question, mods, you can delete it with no hard feelings from my side. I just forgot. I really want to know. Swaizland?? Where is that?? What is that?

I had the highest grade in geographics but i´m just dying to know. Please. If it is not to much to ask for, since it been posted 2 times now, what country in the world are you meaning by this msingh?? I´m honest in my question but do delete me if i come out agressive or against the rules. I just have to know. :D . Do you mean Switzerland or do you mean Somalia in Africa or what do you mean? There is no country called Swaizland in the world i´m sure. It kind of take away the point of you´re posts if we don´t know what you talk about. Can i ask you to use solber, normal educated language when you post so we all understand your posts? Msingh? Or am i out of line by such a request?

(The heartattack point was more that i´m starting to feel i agreed a bit too much with you lately sbk. After all we are suppose to be enemies on this forum. We need to keep that image up, and from me its real. But lately you seem to post to much of my oppinions for me to dissagree. I dont like that. Get back to the real mode soon please!!! :D:o . (Or i myself miht get a heartattack!)

If i go over the top with the following question, mods, you can delete it with no hard feelings from my side. I just forgot. I really want to know. Swaizland?? Where is that?? What is that?

I had the highest grade in geographics but i´m just dying to know.

Swaziland is a small country in Africa (bordered by South Africa).

I'd hate to meet the guy with the lowest grade in geography from your class- he probably couldn't find his way out of a phone booth. :o

Edited by OnTheSnap

I had the highest grade in geographics but i´m just dying to know.

Swaziland is a small country in Africa (bordered by South Africa).

I'd hate to meet the guy with the lowest grade in geography from your class- he probably couldn't find his way out of a phone booth. :D

:o:D:D

Here is a Nat Geo map.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/place..._swaziland.html

"they where from Sweden or Swaziland bordered by south africa" then. Yeah, sound very real. So what flag what actually on that thai guidebook? Or does Swatziland in south africa have the same flag as sweden aswell, and what did it do on the book in the first place? Well, i said ill let msingh off the hook and i think he should be happy to take that offer by now. :o .

Swatziland. Yeah, right!!!

I've been to Swaziland, I have the stamp in my passport & it is a very real place.

It´s been a long time since i coment on your posts boo, and infact i swore to myself to never do so again, but i have to brake it to ask you the following question: You been to Swatziland??? :o:D .

Might one ask why and when?? :D

You are pulling our legs right? :D .

"I have the stamp in my passport". Hahahahaha. Good one.

maybe when i have time I will scan some photos I took of the very real country of Swaziland & of the very real children of Swaziland doing one of their traditional dances in grass skirts. Or maybe you would like to see the entry & exit stamps in my passport that says "Swaziland" or maybe if I could post you the wooden african carving I have that was made by an old Swazi man who had a stall at the side of the road? :o

But to get back to the topic itself, I thought that anyone who was brought up right knew that not wearing a shirt in a public building was rude. But maybe not. :D

post-1041-1237298374_thumb.png