Best Italian Restaurants In Chiangmai

Rasseru

So what are your favourite Italian restaurants?

For some time now, my wife and I have been big fans of Casa Antonio. We also visit Arcobaleno, regularly, and Buonissimo, less regularly only because it is not so conveniently located for us.

Today, though, we stumbled on a newly-opened and quite wonderful place in the Nimmanhaemin area called Beccofino, which bills itself as an Italian trattoria. When trying new places for the first time, we try to go for lunch, and that is what we did today. They have a choice of several set menus for lunch (evening is a la carte). All of the set menus include an antipasto buffet. Far better than anything like it we have had before in Chiangmai, and quite good for anywhere at all. One of the set menus goes on to include a soup course. The one we chose included a main course as well as the soup course. Soup, eh? Nothing that special, right? Wrong. Our simple vegetable soups were very nicely done, and delicious. The main courses were excellent. Unadvertised though they were, a small dessert and coffee (espresso, if that is what you like) were offered (and taken) at the end. Gosh darn it, but even the house white wine was superior to most in town, and possibly all. The atmosphere and service were both excellent too.

No downside, I imagine you wanting to ask? Well, the courses were not large, so if you are big eater, you might be disappointed. For us, the sizes were just right. And of course, the buffet is all you can eat (at least, they did not stop us when we went back a second time), so if you are worried about all that won't be coming, you can compensate there. Beyond that, they don't charge for a glass of water on the table, which will no doubt upset some. And, oh yes, they add a service charge to the tab. Prices? The set menu we chose went for 310 baht a person.

Yikes, almost forgot. Beccofino's street address is 20/2 Soi 7 Nimmanhaemin Road. They have a website too, which I think I am not allowed to post here, so I'll just mention, for the curious and enterprising, that if you put a '.co.th' after the name of the restaurant, and - though it may not be necessary - a 'www.' before, you'll have it.

And don't forget to mention my name, so I can get the 20% discount they promised me for posting this.

(For those who have trouble recognizing silly attempts at humour even when staring them straight in the face, the immediately preceding request was one such, and nothing more.)

Sounds excellent and delicious. I think you just earned your first 20% discount. :o:D

Do they have cheese platters as well? And seats outside where I can sit with a dog?

Oh, the website is about their restaurant and trattoria in BKK, btw.

Edited by Nienke

Do they have cheese platters as well?

Good question. Don't know. We should have looked at the a la carte menu (which is where such would be), but did not.

And seats outside where I can sit with a dog?

There are perhaps four tables on a veranda at the front of the restaurant, facing the soi on which the restaurant is located. Unfortunately, for this purpose, the restaurant faces south, so the sun comes in a bit on the veranda at mid-day. The veranda, by the way, is the same level as the interior of the restaurant, but higher than the street level. I don't know whether they would welcome a dog there or mind it. I'll PM you the telephone number, in case you want to ask.

For some time now, my wife and I have been big fans of Casa Antonio. We also visit Arcobaleno, regularly, and Buonissimo, less regularly only because it is not so conveniently located for us.

Today, though, we stumbled on a newly-opened and quite wonderful place in the Nimmanhaemin area called Beccofino, which bills itself as an Italian trattoria. When trying new places for the first time, we try to go for lunch, and that is what we did today. They have a choice of several set menus for lunch (evening is a la carte). All of the set menus include an antipasto buffet. Far better than anything like it we have had before in Chiangmai, and quite good for anywhere at all. One of the set menus goes on to include a soup course. The one we chose included a main course as well as the soup course. Soup, eh? Nothing that special, right? Wrong. Our simple vegetable soups were very nicely done, and delicious. The main courses were excellent. Unadvertised though they were, a small dessert and coffee (espresso, if that is what you like) were offered (and taken) at the end. Gosh darn it, but even the house white wine was superior to most in town, and possibly all. The atmosphere and service were both excellent too.

No downside, I imagine you wanting to ask? Well, the courses were not large, so if you are big eater, you might be disappointed. For us, the sizes were just right. And of course, the buffet is all you can eat (at least, they did not stop us when we went back a second time), so if you are worried about all that won't be coming, you can compensate there. Beyond that, they don't charge for a glass of water on the table, which will no doubt upset some. And, oh yes, they add a service charge to the tab. Prices? The set menu we chose went for 310 baht a person.

Yikes, almost forgot. Beccofino's street address is 20/2 Soi 7 Nimmanhaemin Road. They have a website too, which I think I am not allowed to post here, so I'll just mention, for the curious and enterprising, that if you put a '.co.th' after the name of the restaurant, and - though it may not be necessary - a 'www.' before, you'll have it.

And don't forget to mention my name, so I can get the 20% discount they promised me for posting this.

(For those who have trouble recognizing silly attempts at humour even when staring them straight in the face, the immediately preceding request was one such, and nothing more.)

Rasseru,

A good review thanks. Even if it is a paid one :o

I will definitely give that one a try when I am back in Chiang Mai soon.

Regards

bridge

A good review thanks. Even if it is a paid one :D

Don't forget to mention that 'Rasseru' sent you. The look of incomprehension on their faces should be worth it. :o

Not if he can pronounce "Rasseru" with a roll

That reminds me, they had excellent bread too, and a clever little container at the table (that is, one does not have to ask for it) that dispenses both, but separately, olive oil and balsamico.

Aren't we supposed to eat nothing but Thai food - 365 days per year? :o

You are indeed, Ulysses G. If reading about people enjoying other cuisines makes it harder for you to stick to your Thai food only programme, I would urge you not to read threads like this one.

That aside, what's your favourite Italian restaurant - in Chiangmai, that is, and above all, not in San Francisco?

It ain't Italian Razzaroooooo, but never mind, still a sweet tune. Lila Downs, she's funking gorgeous in my honest opinion. Imagine sitting down to a good Eye Tye meal and listening this tune whilst sipping on a glass of chunky red.

Gorgeous is right. Thanks for that. I'm charmed by the fact that her voice practically screams - or would if she could any longer pass enough air through her throat to manage a near scream - Chiangmai air in March and April! Portuguese or Brazilian? I'm thinking the former.

Back on track, what's your favourite Italian restaurant in Chiangmai?

Actually, am fasting at Chiang Mai's newest spa at the moment, and am pretty much starving. :o

I eat at Stephano's different places constantly, but I really enjoyed Bulisimo last time I had a ride over there. I find most Italian owned restauraunts in Chiang Mai to be of similar quality and quite good.

Edited by Ulysses G.

It ain't Italian Razzaroooooo, but never mind, still a sweet tune. Lila Downs, she's funking gorgeous in my honest opinion. Imagine sitting down to a good Eye Tye meal and listening this tune whilst sipping on a glass of chunky red.

Gorgeous is right. Thanks for that. I'm charmed by the fact that her voice practically screams - or would if she could any longer pass enough air through her throat to manage a near scream - Chiangmai air in March and April! Portuguese or Brazilian? I'm thinking the former.

Neither. It's Spanish.

Actually she's Mexican.

Edited by adjan jb

Stumble on! "Yikes! indeed! I thought you had to pay for commercial messages on TV!

Stumble on! "Yikes! indeed! I thought you had to pay for commercial messages on TV!

You probably do. You may have earned your cynicism and suspicion the hard and honest way, Mapguy, but in this particular case they have you barking up the wrong tree. :o

Edited by Rasseru

Stop me if I have told this one on here before, but

Mae Hong Son is so far off the beaten track that the linguistic lines get tangled between Shan, Northern, Central Thai, Karen, etc. Not to mention Romance languages. So there we were, me and a local Thai guy, in an Eye-talian restaurant in MaeHongSon. He says, "the Thai words are misspelled." I reply, "the Italian words are all in Spanish."

Stop me if I have told this one on here before, but

Mae Hong Son is so far off the beaten track that the linguistic lines get tangled between Shan, Northern, Central Thai, Karen, etc. Not to mention Romance languages. So there we were, me and a local Thai guy, in an Eye-talian restaurant in MaeHongSon. He says, "the Thai words are misspelled." I reply, "the Italian words are all in Spanish."

Stop!

Jesting, just jesting. Good tale, that. :o

I was going to start a similar topic, but after getting my knuckles wrapped for starting a thread on the Happy massage parlour I thought I better not. But, I WAS told by a moderator that I COULD respond positively if someone else asked a question.

I like nice quiet places where I can talk without blaring noise. I get too much of that in bars. One place I have really enjoyed is "Mr Magu" on Nantharam road just outside Chiang Mai gate. Take the busy little road towards the Chiang Mai gate hotel, but at the "Y" intersection (by the bike shop) go to the right instead of the left to the hotel. Mr Magu is only a short distance down that road. It is on your right going away from the moat. Just past Mr Magu is the Cassowary on the left. The Cassowary is a very attractive spot for a drink and a sandwich, but they don't serve meals at this time. Mr Magu is an actual Italian restaurant serving authentic food. The owner is Italian. The food is good and the surroundings lovely. Tell the pretty Thai waitress, Mort, that Ian sent you.

I cannot help but feel you are a very bold fellow, Mr IanForbes, to stake your reputation for gastronomic taste on an Italian restaurant that goes by the name Mr Magu! :o

But of course, just as one should never judge a book by its cover, one should not assume a restaurant's name speaks to its quality, and so I will look forward to giving it a try . . . assuming I am able to work out all the directions when I reach the neighbourhood.

Here is the place I was talking about, Rasseru.

Pim_at_Mr_Magus_2.jpg

Pim_at_Mr_Magus.jpg

I also recently dined at an Italian restaurant in the heart of the city. I believe it had recently opened. It served the best Lasagna I've ever had other than my own... which is the best. I forget the name unfortunately. I'll check into it when I get back from fishing.

I was in the La Fontana on Ratchamanka Road the other week with my daughter and the ex. Not too bad at all and most of the tables were full. Very clean and very attentive staff and of course, Sebastiano was always hovering nearby. I'll go back.

La Fontana, owned by Sebastiano (former manager of Da Stefano) and his Thai wife.

A note of caution about Beccofino.

An Italian chef who seems to be one of their leading lights in Bangkok (his picture appears on their website there) is here for the opening period. He visited us at our table and is a charming man. Presumably he is responsible, probably in large part, for the high quality of the cuisine. He is based in Bangkok, however, and will be returning there at some point. So, a key question going forward will be how well the level of quality is maintained following his departure.

You probably do. You may have earned your cynicism and suspicion the hard and honest way, Mapguy, but in this particular case they have you barking up the wrong tree. :o

Not so cynical that I didn't try it for lunch! Upscale and very, very good although a tad pricey for dinner. Everyone seems very, very well-trained. Important staff brought up to Chiang Mai on a year's contract .

...and I'm not getting 20% off!

Edited by Mapguy

A while ago I had lunch at Da Mattia Italian Restaurant. Nice Italian restaurant in the center of Chiang Mai.

According to the owner/chef there are many Italian restaurants around in Chiang Mai, but there are not many offering Italian food in the real traditional Italian way/taste. While this does not really concerns me, lol. (if it tastes good, it is fine to me), it might be interesting for others looking for the real traditional taste?