Gay Thai Mens Health Clinic

Gaviator

I am looking for a good gay Thai men's doctor for my Thai boyfriend.

We live in Krabi, so one located in Krabi would be great but Phuket is suitable (and probably more realistic).

The doctor doesn't necessarily need any specific expertise beyond empathy and an understanding of gay men's health issues.

Can anyone give a recommendation, please?

Sorry, I don't know people where you are. I doubt you will find many doctors that are homophobic or totally insensitive, however- try one or two of your local clinics. I don't know if you have any specific problems in mind- I presume you may as your question seems to point to the need to tell the doctor you are gay- but I've had frank conversations about STD prevention, risk factors, and sexual behaviours with various Thai medical professionals without ever having felt negative vibrations, and I've referred a couple of older friends to local doctors to consult about, um, older gentlemen's issues- and still never had any unpleasant reactions.

Agreeing with IJWT. Doctors here see obviously gay patients every day. Restricting your choice to a man/lady whom you knew was gay is unrealistic and too confining. My cardiologist turned out to be a flaming drama queen but I really thought he was kind of normal for a Thai. Even in Texas when I got out of the closet and mentioned my gay activities to my family doctor, he did not shun me. Most medical problems have nothing to do with being gay.

• 4 months later...

If you plan to use Phuket as your medical HQ, I suggest you stick to one of the general hospitals. They have comprehensive testing packages. Some of the prices are a bit on the pricey side, but you have the advantage of one stop shopping and knowing that the tests will be analyzed in a real medical laboratory.

For example, prices for the following tests

HIV THB 400VDRL THB 120Hepatitis Virus - HbsAg and HbsAb, Anti-HCV THB 770

Which really aren't that bad cost wise.

I have a very strong prejudice against the "clinics" that cater to the Bangla Rd & Paradise sex trade workers. Diagnostic tests are ignored in favour of popping pills. No counseling and no hug if needed. I have too many stories (some very odd) that cause me to suggest that you consider one of the major hospitals. As they are for profit, and as long as you have money, they will smile and say, how can we help.

ooopsie. This thread was from March. sowwy. Anyway, I'll leave my answer in case the issue comes up again.

Edited by geriatrickid