No Alcohol Over Songkran ?!

Tango7

Just heard on Channel 3 news that they are considering not allowing the sale of alcohol over the Songkran period... that'll make people happy. One of the few long holiday periods in the year and they want to stop alcohol sales.. great....just great !

This is an old rumour but with the amount of deaths each year caused by drunk driving over this period maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing. A lot of Thais aren't able to self moderate when it comes to drinking and driving.

However I am sure that if they ban sales it will be got in advance.

This is an old rumour but with the amount of deaths each year caused by drunk driving over this period maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing. A lot of Thais aren't able to self moderate when it comes to drinking and driving.

However I am sure that if they ban sales it will be got in advance.

Sure, everyone will stock up. If it does go ahead though, many visitors will not know about the ban.

It'll be a shame if it does happen. Not the end of the world but maybe a reason to increase the number of times alcohol gets banned ?

I'm not sure if it still happens, or whether it was a one off, but don't they now ban the sale of alcohol for "he who can't be named's" son?

I doubt that it will barely slow down most Thai drinkers in their tracks. Those with money will undoubtedly stock up in advance, and the rest will still be able to buy their favourite rot gut at the village suppliers throughout the Songkran festival.

Once you get outside the main cities, there is virtually no enforcement of these booze sales regulations, and even in the big cities, there are plenty of Thai outlets off the main streets where booze will be available 24/7.

No doubt the police will be extorting extra “tea money” by visiting the tourist bars and entertainment areas in areas such as Pattaya, but for most Thais it will be “Drinking as normal.

Even where I live, some 12 kms east of Pattaya – there is a large, very well stocked booze shop that is open 7 days a week during elections, Thai religious holidays, royal funerals etc. It is owned by a big shot in the local administration and the police never go near him.

The government knows that most Thais will be largely unaffected by these rules, and therefore will not cause any anti government sentiments, but the rules will be a “sop” to the religious crusading lobby which is very large and powerful.

The whole drinking laws business is a farce, and the main ones to suffer are the farang tourists who don’t know where to buy their booze.

Welcome to Thailand, (where hypocrisy is alive and kicking). :o

I doubt that it will barely slow down most Thai drinkers in their tracks. Those with money will undoubtedly stock up in advance, and the rest will still be able to buy their favourite rot gut at the village suppliers throughout the Songkran festival.

Once you get outside the main cities, there is virtually no enforcement of these booze sales regulations, and even in the big cities, there are plenty of Thai outlets off the main streets where booze will be available 24/7.

No doubt the police will be extorting extra “tea money” by visiting the tourist bars and entertainment areas in areas such as Pattaya, but for most Thais it will be “Drinking as normal.

Even where I live, some 12 kms east of Pattaya – there is a large, very well stocked booze shop that is open 7 days a week during elections, Thai religious holidays, royal funerals etc. It is owned by a big shot in the local administration and the police never go near him.

The government knows that most Thais will be largely unaffected by these rules, and therefore will not cause any anti government sentiments, but the rules will be a “sop” to the religious crusading lobby which is very large and powerful.

The whole drinking laws business is a farce, and the main ones to suffer are the farang tourists who don’t know where to buy their booze.

Welcome to Thailand, (where hypocrisy is alive and kicking). :o

If they go ahead with the ban-in-writing and as you say it will have little or no effect, when the road death toll numbers reach the usual 3,500++ what will the booze banning brigade do next? They got their ban = no effect = ban it for the month of April next year?

The ban is an attempt to stop the roadside sales and the very visible presence of the whiskey guzzlers in the back of the pickups. Last year, I was in CM for Songkran and there were mounds of empty beer bottles left in public spaces and on street corners in some parts. If it can stop that, then it would be a success. I don't think the laws sponsors are intent on stopping the flow of booze. they just want to curtail the mad public consumption. Maybe it will force people to be more discrete.

Am pretty sure,there will be booze flowing in 80% of the Go-Go bars,and beer bars in Patters,as well as Bangkok.The hotels will be unaffected,so the tourists will not notice too much problems. :D

The ban will not stop them stocking up prior too the start,and getting pissed out their heads on the beaches,etc. :D

Roll on the 12-15th,am sure the death toll will be more this year. :o

Just heard on Channel 3 news that they are considering not allowing the sale of alcohol over the Songkran period... that'll make people happy. One of the few long holiday periods in the year and they want to stop alcohol sales.. great....just great !

Stock up the day before or a couple of days before....whats the big deal.. :o

What happens when you are pulled over by a copper .. breathalyzed .. and found drunk in LOS? Is it the same as getting busted for driving a motorcycle without a helmet? .. That is .. pay a fine and get sent on your merry way .. still without the helmet?

Back in Oz ..

No Helmet .. get a fine and have to leave the bike where it is until you return with a helmet.

Drunk driving ... go straight to the cop shop .. do not pass go .. do not collect $200 .. cannot drive again.

Just wondering .... ?????

:o

Seems like a good idea to be honest..

Some thais go absolutely crazy during songkran.

And all but the most alchoholic cases could probably use a few days without too much booze.

Absolutely a good idea. Unfortunately, most people who like to get drunk will still do it.